toe in the water ... - Sea-Doo Spark Forum

post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-08-2018, 10:07 PM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
Default toe in the water ...

greetings all, enjoying reading prior threads and appreciate all the knowledge sharing (WTH did we all do before the internet?! :-)
little bit of background: we purchased our first pwc this past Spring, an ‘18 Yama VXR. Absolutely LOVE it; however; I am smitten with the abilities of the TRIXX and am now looking for a 2nd addition to the “stable” which is “lighter and spriter”, and thus complement the VXR’s top speed and hole shots (grandkids simply canNOT get enough of those! :-) so I’ve contacted a dealer local to me to be at the head of the line for a:

2019 TRIXX 3-up with 900 ACE HO iBR AND CONVENIENCE PACKAGE PLUS6.
Additional add-on’s we’d be interested in include (understanding a couple of these come with the TRUXX:
Tow Pro – (a tow pylon, spotter handle and rack (available on 3-up units).
Reboarding Step –
Front Storage Bin Kit –
RF D.E.S.S. Key –
iBR.
Side Protectors –
Snap-In Fenders –
SPARK Move II trailer – Not sure if one bunk can be adjusted by dealer to accommodate a NON SPARK watercraft but, if not, I, gonna have to skip the SeaDoo trailer and get a Triton double pwc trailer ...
Speed Ties –
Handlebar with Adjustable Riser – customize the ergonomics for greater leverage. THIS IS MY #1 CONCERN - I canNOT deal with handle bars moving while I’m intentionally burning gas to make wakes to ... get stupid!
Step Wedges – comes with TRIXX, of course
Extended Range Variable Trim System (VTS) –

(We do NOT need a chill shade)

Anyhoo, looking forward to learning as much as I can -Thanks In Advance!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-09-2018, 08:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spank View Post
greetings all, enjoying reading prior threads and appreciate all the knowledge sharing (WTH did we all do before the internet?! :-)
little bit of background: we purchased our first pwc this past Spring, an ‘18 Yama VXR. Absolutely LOVE it; however; I am smitten with the abilities of the TRIXX and am now looking for a 2nd addition to the “stable” which is “lighter and spriter”, and thus complement the VXR’s top speed and hole shots (grandkids simply canNOT get enough of those! :-) so I’ve contacted a dealer local to me to be at the head of the line for a:

2019 TRIXX 3-up with 900 ACE HO iBR AND CONVENIENCE PACKAGE PLUS6.
Additional add-on’s we’d be interested in include (understanding a couple of these come with the TRUXX:
Tow Pro – (a tow pylon, spotter handle and rack (available on 3-up units).
Reboarding Step –
Front Storage Bin Kit –
RF D.E.S.S. Key –
iBR.
Side Protectors –
Snap-In Fenders –
SPARK Move II trailer – Not sure if one bunk can be adjusted by dealer to accommodate a NON SPARK watercraft but, if not, I, gonna have to skip the SeaDoo trailer and get a Triton double pwc trailer ...
Speed Ties –
Handlebar with Adjustable Riser – customize the ergonomics for greater leverage. THIS IS MY #1 CONCERN - I canNOT deal with handle bars moving while I’m intentionally burning gas to make wakes to ... get stupid!
Step Wedges – comes with TRIXX, of course
Extended Range Variable Trim System (VTS) –

(We do NOT need a chill shade)

Anyhoo, looking forward to learning as much as I can -Thanks In Advance!

You may want to skip the move II and get a heavier duty trailer since you'll be towing the Yamaha. The move II is really meant for the light weight sparks. I probably wouldn't do the tow pro, I think they get in the way and you already have a big machine to tow with which will be much easier and more comfortable to tow with. I have towed with my 3up spark and it does work, I go from the back hook.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-09-2018, 09:58 AM

Welcome! I agree on skipping the towpro. They're fairly expensive too. I almost NEVER use the reboarding step which is really for your knee to get back on the machine. I can easily just pull myself up the back end and then grab the rear handles to stand up. I also gave strong consideration to the VXR before getting a spark but the price and the playfulness of the Spark swayed me this direction. I think you're putting together a sweet package with those side x side.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-15-2018, 07:36 AM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)

Howdy gents, good morning and THANK YOU for the awesome feedback!

Will definitely begin looking for a two-up Triton and yes, skip the towpro (ESPECIALLY as we also have a 19-ft SeaRay w Mercury 150 4 stroke outboard which was purchased to tow with, on the same dock as the pwc(s)

And, hey, “Apologies on the lag in replying - we just had NINE adults and SEVEN small children split from a days long, wild party here at the lakehouse. EVERYone went apey over the VXR and are thrilled to hear about the TRIXX coming in ‘19 but, holy whewee, we the hosts are STILL recovering, ha-ha!

Only “downer” for the whole week was an experienced rider who managed to “suck up” a piece of plastic into the VXR impeller but, thank heavens she had the wherewithal to “putt” it the 1-mile plus back to our dock at 1-2K rpm.

Now, getting that wedged piece of plastic out of the VXR impeller, etc. was a pretty simple process (ha-ha, all those times using a fashioned-on-the-flyhooked” coat hanger to get into cars we’d locked ourselves out of as a teen really paid off! BUT, as I understand it, with the TRIXX, I’ll need to be prepared to remove and replace the wear ring, etc., correct?

Man, thanks again y’all for the heads up on the trailer ... and tow practicalities, etc.!!!!!!!
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-15-2018, 08:00 AM

Quote:
Howdy gents, good morning and THANK YOU for the awesome feedback!

Will definitely begin looking for a two-up Triton and yes, skip the towpro (ESPECIALLY as we also have a 19-ft SeaRay w Mercury 150 4 stroke outboard which was purchased to tow with, on the same dock as the pwc(s)

And, hey, “Apologies on the lag in replying - we just had NINE adults and SEVEN small children split from a days long, wild party here at the lakehouse. EVERYone went apey over the VXR and are thrilled to hear about the TRIXX coming in ‘19 but, holy whewee, we the hosts are STILL recovering, ha-ha!

Only “downer” for the whole week was an experienced rider who managed to “suck up” a piece of plastic into the VXR impeller but, thank heavens she had the wherewithal to “putt” it the 1-mile plus back to our dock at 1-2K rpm.

Now, getting that wedged piece of plastic out of the VXR impeller, etc. was a pretty simple process (ha-ha, all those times using a fashioned-on-the-flyhooked” coat hanger to get into cars we’d locked ourselves out of as a teen really paid off! BUT, as I understand it, with the TRIXX, I’ll need to be prepared to remove and replace the wear ring, etc., correct?

Man, thanks again y’all for the heads up on the trailer ... and tow practicalities, etc.!!!!!!!

It depends what you suck up. One of mine sucked up a bottlecap and it just cavitated, shut it off pulled it out of the water and pulled the cap out and back in the water without any issues. Had sucked something up in my other one last time out, don't know what it was I wasn't driving, my sister was she stopped and called me out, said it was vibrating and sounded funny. idled back to shore, about 200 feet she shut it off. I shook the machine around started it up put it in reverse gave some throttle wacks and took off and all was fine. one machine has 50 hours the other 30 hours and both are on the original wear ring. Of course things can happen but they aren't as glass as some make them out to be. Suck a big chunk of wood or a rock and yes you may break the wear ring. Which once you do it I am told takes about 30 minutes to change and can be done on shore if you need to. You must tell the new riders to make sure it is not running in shallow water #1!
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-23-2018, 07:39 AM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greenhornet2 View Post
It depends what you suck up. One of mine sucked up a bottlecap and it just cavitated, shut it off pulled it out of the water and pulled the cap out and back in the water without any issues. Had sucked something up in my other one last time out, don't know what it was I wasn't driving, my sister was she stopped and called me out, said it was vibrating and sounded funny. idled back to shore, about 200 feet she shut it off. I shook the machine around started it up put it in reverse gave some throttle wacks and took off and all was fine. one machine has 50 hours the other 30 hours and both are on the original wear ring. Of course things can happen but they aren't as glass as some make them out to be. Suck a big chunk of wood or a rock and yes you may break the wear ring. Which once you do it I am told takes about 30 minutes to change and can be done on shore if you need to. You must tell the new riders to make sure it is not running in shallow water #1!
^^^This is very helpful and (for lack of a better term) reassuring.
And, LOL, yeah, our “pre-handing over the fob briefing” was originally:
1) (as you suggest) “STAY AWAY FROM ANY SHALLOWS” and
2) “Keep Yer Head On A Swivel and Avoid Floating / Submerged Chit.” ,

After this last incident we will be expanding that to include a quick, dockside primer on how a jet works and to

3) Keep a keen eye out for small any small crap floating, too!

“Discipline is choosing between what you want NOW and what you want MOST.” - Annon
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-23-2018, 08:12 AM

Quote:
^^^This is very helpful and (for lack of a better term) reassuring.
And, LOL, yeah, our “pre-handing over the fob briefing” was originally:
1) (as you suggest) “STAY AWAY FROM ANY SHALLOWS” and
2) “Keep Yer Head On A Swivel and Avoid Floating / Submerged Chit.” ,

After this last incident we will be expanding that to include a quick, dockside primer on how a jet works and to

3) Keep a keen eye out for small any small crap floating, too!
And rope STAY AWAY from rope.. that can do a number on things...

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page