On board items for safety and repair. - Sea-Doo Spark Forum

post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-15-2018, 05:37 PM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
Default On board items for safety and repair.

After owning 2 2014 Sparks from day one I just thought I would share what I have learned to carry to as a MUST have . I am known for going places where any PWC should not and have blown about 5 wear rings in my machine and my wife has lost one when she let someone else ride it. This bit of kit has saved the whole day of riding already for me. It includes a spare 2017 wear ring with seal,2 6" extensions, rachet ,2 10mm wrenches,2 13mm wrenches,10mm and 13mm sockets, a hull screw torx bit ,knife ,extra zip ties and a towel. All goes inside a sealed box and in an anchor bag. It all fits in the first aid kit area under the steering so its never in the way. I also have a floating first aid kit on one of the machines with as much asparin ,ointments,bandages ,whistle ect. I would hope some of you who dont want a day of riding blown because you were unprepared take this as advice. It took me 15 minutes to change my wifes wear ring on the beach with the help of a friend to tip the machine on it side while I swapped it out. She has the reverse bucket on hers. I dont so its much quicker.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20180515_145921072__1526419405_67776.jpg
Views:	42
Size:	49.5 KB
ID:	9401  

Last edited by wizzer; 05-15-2018 at 09:27 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-15-2018, 06:41 PM

Thanks
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-29-2018, 12:17 PM

In your experience have you lost the seals when the wear rings broke? I bought a spare ring but did not get a seal
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-29-2018, 08:13 PM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)

I have not lost a seal but I do keep the spare rings loaded with new seals anyway just in case one gets cut or blown away.
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-17-2018, 09:09 PM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)

Well this kit saved my butt today. We were riding up a flooded river today after a heavy rain and my wife jammed 2 chunks of wood in her wear ring and while I turned around to see what was up I ran over some sharp rocks and took about a 1/8" out of the inside of my wear ring. It didnt break but vibrated like crazy about 5000 rpm. We pulled to shore and tipped them both on thier sides . I removed both pumps replaced my wear ring and got the tree out of my wifes in about 25 minutes. We rode 2 more hours after that. The new wear rings are for sure much stronger than the old style ones and I picked up 2 mph in the process. My wifes wear ring is one I broke a couple years ago and plastic welded back together and even with the wood jammed in there it didnt break and is still going .LOL
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-27-2018, 12:41 PM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)

You can lead a horse to water but ........... Seriously how do we get people over the wear ring issue? Its a WEAR ring and designed to be the failure point in the event of a clogging event due to ANY reason to save the precious impeller. At this stage in the game I seriously have no sympathy for anyone who loses a day or ,a weekend of riding because they either didnt believe it would never happen the them or had no idea it could even happen. These would be the same people who never check the oil in their cars or have a fully inflated spare tire. I carry a spare wear ring on each of my machines just like I carry a spare belt and spark plugs on my snowmobiles. Yes I might never need one but EXPERIENCES OF THE WORLD show that sometimes one might need one. Yes Ive sucked up many pounds of rocks and weeds in my old jet skis but most of the time we were able to pick them out with sticks and knives on shore and keep riding. Then later take a few hours when we get home to remove and pound the dents out of the prop. The spark however is less forgiving to such damage but it has a huge advantage that it can be serviced on the shore in less than 15 minutes by 1 or 2 people. Providing they carry a spare with the minimal amount of tools to swap one out.
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-27-2018, 01:55 PM

Does the tool list you noted work when you have IBR?
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-27-2018, 03:33 PM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)

[QUOTE=Greenhornet2;162896]Does the tool list you noted work when you have IBR?[/QUOTE It sure does. You just need to take the 13mm IBR arm bolt off and the steering link bolt. Then the three mounting bolts for the pump. Ive found the siphon hose fitting will pull out of the pump or you can loosen the hose clamp . When removing the bolts,washers and nuts be sure to reassemble them back in links so you dont loose them . I keep a spare set of nuts and bolts in the kit just in case .
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-27-2018, 03:46 PM

[quote=wizzer;162900]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greenhornet2 View Post
Does the tool list you noted work when you have IBR?[/QUOTE It sure does. You just need to take the 13mm IBR arm bolt off and the steering link bolt. Then the three mounting bolts for the pump. Ive found the siphon hose fitting will pull out of the pump or you can loosen the hose clamp . When removing the bolts,washers and nuts be sure to reassemble them back in links so you dont loose them . I keep a spare set of nuts and bolts in the kit just in case .
Oh so you aren't even removing the IBR bucket from the pump just taking it all out as one unit. As you can tell I have yet to do it lol.
post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-09-2018, 06:11 AM

TERRIFIC thread, Thanks!

Wizzer, 3 question: are the two (2) 6” extensions so you’re not trying to fit a 12” inside the storage compartment (or, are two (2) 6” extensions necessary)?

REASON I ask is, I live on the lake where we’ll always be riding and, when it eventually arrives, we will keeping our Spark TRUXX on a HydroHoist Extreme port, attached to our floating dock so, I’ll likely keep the kit in a locker on the dock, once I finish assembling the kit (which leads to my 2nd and 3rd questions :-)

2nd question being: Can you advise where your ordering your parts from (rings, seals, any SeaDoo specific washers, nuts bolts, etc.)

3rd question (THIS IS FOR ANYONE in addition to wizzer(d) ;-) HAS ANYONE FOUND A TORQUE WRENCH YOU CAN REALLY RECOMMEND (accuracy, durability, etc.) and WHERE DO YOU GET YOURS FROM? (I’m kind of in “paralysis by analysis” mode, due to so many wrenches having 7% to 20% 1-star and negative (cautionary) reviews ...

Thanks Again (and In Advance)!

Last edited by spank; 08-09-2018 at 06:46 AM.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page