Cool Shade Installation - Sea-Doo Spark Forum
 1Likes

post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-13-2015, 06:56 PM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
Question Chill Shade Installation

Does anyone have a good picture of the Sea Doo Chill Shade's Canopy Mounting Base installed on a Spark?

I bought the Chill Shade at the same time that I bought the Spark. I made the assumption that it mounts into the same holes that are used for the Snap-In Fenders. I was wrong. I am not very comfortable with drilling the 4 holes (for the Canopy Mounting Base) into the new Spark! The directions (at least the pictures) could be clearer. Oddly, there is no mention of using any kind of sealer in the holes. And I'm fascinated as to how the M6 well-nuts won't pull out of the drilled holes (I guess they expand when the Torx screws are put in).

Last edited by James64; 06-13-2015 at 08:24 PM. Reason: Mistake in title
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-23-2015, 08:51 AM

I installed mine last week. I'll snap pictures of it over lunch. It actually holds very well. The tip I have is when you are drilling the 1/2" holes in the front left that holds the upward post, pre-drill smaller holes and drill at 90 to the plastic with the 1/2" bit. Any angle makes the grommets want to spin instead of grip and squeeze.
seaking likes this.
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-23-2015, 03:50 PM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)

Thanks a lot nwoz, I'd really appreciate couple of close up pictures of the mounting points. That would be great!

That's a great tip on making sure you drill at 90 degrees (I'll have to get a drill guide).

Did you use any sealer to water proof the holes?

Did you use any glue? I'm fascinated as to what is holding in those M6 well-nut (grommets).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-23-2015, 04:31 PM

Good tip, that's one mistake I noticed newbs make with drilling, they go right to the size of bit they need instead of starting smaller and using that initial hole as a pilot hole for then using the size they need.

post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-25-2015, 04:19 AM

Just a question, when are you going to use the Chill Shade's Canopy ? When I saw it I was sure that nobody will ever buy this, I just want to know why do you need it. Nothing personal, just curious.

-Chuck
2015 Sea-Doo Sparks HO 2UP iBR
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-25-2015, 03:32 PM

Sorry I didn't reply sooner. I entered the wrong username (unknowingly) 5 times and it locked me out. It seems the spark forums needs security better than all my online banking and credit card accounts. I digress.

Here are the pictures.

The instructions came with a template for where to drill, but you can use the pictures as a guide too in case you lost it or it didn't come with one. The main thing here is that the left side of the mount is parallel with the upright corner of the ski.

You can use the stainless plate it came with to guide your pilot holes if you need.

The grommets work just like the iron cement anchors. You place them in the hole, and as you tighten, it pulls them in and spreads them against the side walls, making them fatter. I hope that's clear enough description.

You can see in the straight down pic there is the slightest of gaps where that grommet comes out of the plastic.

I wouldn't worry about sealant. If any water gets in there, I really can't see it becoming a problem.

On the right, where you mount it in the bag, I really can't see it being a problem where you drill. Higher like I have pictures seems to be the best spot for it being out of the way. After every 1/2 hour of aggressive riding, take a look down and make sure the straps are still tight, it does tend to come loose when wet.

Hope this helps
~Nick

For what I use it for, well, here in central Florida, last weekend we had floatilla boat tie-up, and for the times we were listening to the band, I popped up the top and could chill in the shade when we weren't in the water or tearing it up on the water. Other than that, I expect to use it over the 4th when I use it to go to a bar where they host day concerts on their tiki area and you can drive up via the gulf.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3108.jpg
Views:	387
Size:	63.7 KB
ID:	6497   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3109.jpg
Views:	382
Size:	102.7 KB
ID:	6505   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3112.jpg
Views:	354
Size:	170.9 KB
ID:	6513   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3114.jpg
Views:	361
Size:	144.9 KB
ID:	6521   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3116.jpg
Views:	354
Size:	105.9 KB
ID:	6529  

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3117.jpg
Views:	343
Size:	127.3 KB
ID:	6537   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3119.jpg
Views:	358
Size:	132.9 KB
ID:	6545  

Last edited by nwoz; 06-25-2015 at 03:49 PM.
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-25-2015, 04:43 PM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)

nwoz,
Thank you very much for the pictures and the explanation. I understood everything and appreciated the images. I only have 8.5 hours on the ski but I'm getting closer to using the drill.

By the way where is tiki area in the gulf? Tampa?

ChuckTheVoice,
I live in the west coast of Florida. I love Florida, but I have had skin cancer. Yes, I go to a skin Doctor to get checked, but I have to be careful (you get plenty of sun, by default, in Florida). I use plenty of sunblock.

I love the water though. I figured that on the occasions when I'm out there too long (being social), the Chill Shade would be nice to have. I don't expect to use it very much (in part because I love to stand up and ride), but I wanted to have it (especially if I want to go for a long distance cruise down the inter-coastal).

We are all different. I get that. Some people spent extra money on iBR. I'm sure it can be helpful, (when docking) but I didn't see the need. It seems like another complicated system that can break or will need maintenance. Also, I think it will build a false sense of security for newbies who may not understand the differences in moving on water. Yes my 400 lb Spark is new, but I owned a 1700 lb boat for 20 years. No brakes. Never need them. And I rarely used reverse (drifting is fine, I'm really not in a big rush to get off the water). Besides, my Spark can go faster than my boat could, and stops a lot shorter (I'm a defensive driver). Anyway, I respect everyone's decision to buy what they want!
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-25-2015, 05:57 PM

Thanks for the reply. Make sense that you need it. Here in Canada a baseball cap is enough 😆

-Chuck
2015 Sea-Doo Sparks HO 2UP iBR
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-26-2015, 07:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChuckTheVoice View Post
Just a question, when are you going to use the Chill Shade's Canopy ? When I saw it I was sure that nobody will ever buy this, I just want to know why do you need it. Nothing personal, just curious.
I'm thinking about getting the chill shade for when I take long trips on the Spark. Sometimes it's fun to go all the way from Sanford to Jacksonville (about 120 miles one way) on the St. Johns River in Florida and it would be very nice to have a shade for those trips.
It also might be nice for when I just want to take a break and relax. When I go under a bridge, the shade is a HUGE relief on a hot summer day.
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-26-2015, 07:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by James64 View Post
nwoz,
I live in the west coast of Florida. I love Florida, but I have had skin cancer. Yes, I go to a skin Doctor to get checked, but I have to be careful (you get plenty of sun, by default, in Florida). I use plenty of sunblock.

I love the water though. I figured that on the occasions when I'm out there too long (being social), the Chill Shade would be nice to have. I don't expect to use it very much (in part because I love to stand up and ride), but I wanted to have it (especially if I want to go for a long distance cruise down the inter-coastal).

I'm in Central Florida and I find that nothing beats a skin suit when I'm out for a long time. You can get them really cheap from dive websites like Leisurepro. A lycra full skin suit breathes really well and keeps me completely free of sunburn no matter how long I'm out (Well... as long as I reapply to my face and hands).

Something like this:
http://www.leisurepro.com/p-blrlm/ne...ndex-skin-suit

Last edited by peeler01; 06-26-2015 at 07:40 AM.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page