Gouges in hull - Sea-Doo Spark Forum
 3Likes

post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-23-2015, 10:28 AM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
Default Gouges in hull

I just got a brand-new 2015 Spark and it arrived with some deep scratches/gouges in the black plastic hull. It looks like possibly the trailer bolts somehow rubbed on it and on one side they're pretty deep. I think the repair goes beyond sanding the scratches away. Can anyone recommend a filler of some kind or would heat be the way to go?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0141.jpg
Views:	1649
Size:	207.6 KB
ID:	7834   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0143.jpg
Views:	1020
Size:	275.1 KB
ID:	7842  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-23-2015, 05:17 PM

If it was like that from delivery I would want the dealer to replace the hull.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-23-2015, 05:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cormacs View Post
If it was like that from delivery I would want the dealer to replace the hull.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
So those actually dont look all too bad to me.

I had a similar instance, but my gouges were on the bottom, and DEEP. Probably .5 inch deep. I didn't accept the machine. The dealer was super apologetic and offered me another in-stock spark that had a few upgrades which he took a loss on and gave me for no additional cost
serpent710 likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-23-2015, 05:46 PM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)

He swears they weren't there at delivery - I had my brother-in-law pick it up for me as I live in another state so somewhere between getting it from the dealer to me, there they are. I'm glad you don't think they're that bad. Thanks!
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-23-2015, 10:05 PM

I'd bring it back, It was probably from being banged around in the crate. Just get a new one from the dealer.

Though you can take a propane torch or a heat gun and melt the plastic to make it less noticeable, but the hull will be weaker in that area, So again I'd just return it. Unless he has pictures or some kind of proof that it was spotless when it left you should be fine.

'94 Sea-doo SPI 587 Rotax
15' Sea-doo Spark 900 ACE Stock
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-24-2015, 10:13 AM

Unfortunately if it isn't mentioned when it is picked up I don't know how you could bring it back to the dealer if they are denying they did it. In the end since it wasn't inspected it could very well have happened between the dealer and you. I agree you could fix it without it affecting its integrity but you will always notice a shiny spot where the damage was. That's why when ever I pick up a high dollar item I give it a thorough inspection, hindsight. You could always argue with the dealer or try calling BRP, they may give, it doesn't hurt to try. But the second you put it in the water and put some hours on it you start to loose some fire power in the argument.
serpent710 likes this.
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-24-2015, 10:15 AM

I just re-read your post. Who swears they weren't there, your brother or the dealer? If it's your brother. **** happens, heat it up with a torch slowly and just smooth it out. Once you have it smoothed out you can use a very fine sand paper to clean it up. It'll be as good as new just a little shiny where you sanded it.
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-25-2015, 09:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by abbybart View Post
I just got a brand-new 2015 Spark and it arrived with some deep scratches/gouges in the black plastic hull. It looks like possibly the trailer bolts somehow rubbed on it and on one side they're pretty deep. I think the repair goes beyond sanding the scratches away. Can anyone recommend a filler of some kind or would heat be the way to go?
that is too bad, it isn't terrible but I always figure I should be the one that puts the first scratch in my new machine but there isn't much you can do about it now other than try to make it less noticeable, you can heat it up carefully and push or flatten the plastic to smooth it out a bit, then you can use a propane torch like the previous posts mentioned just be carful, the area will get shiny with the more heat you use. its not likely you will get anywhere with the dealer...any issues with the finish or marks etc on a new unit have to be identified at time of pickup, if it is crate damage that has to be noted at time of the Pdi so Brp won't do anything about it either.
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-27-2015, 12:48 PM

if you can live with seeing the scratches like that, I'd just leave them the way they are, I wouldn't fuss with trying to melt them down. I'm fearful of bringing heat to the machine, as I think that the heated area would be much more fragile afterwards than what it is now with a few blemishes. Just my input

I'm sure you'd have no trouble with it if you did opt to try and self-repair, but not sure I'd bother
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-04-2015, 12:43 PM

I've shared this a few times, can't say enough how much I love this kit. I have kayaks with holes and all kinds of broken plastic stuff I've fixed. Here's my experience repairing a sea doo spark. I have to agree with another comment, the scratches aren't too bad. Given the spark is plastic, it's nice to have options when the ding comes. I'm hoping the correct heat setting doesn't impact the integrity of the plastic. I think sun damage is a big deal for these boats. Dry brittle plastic is doomed. Keep em covered.

6 inch crack in the hull near the bow
So we fixed the seadoo crack a few weeks ago and it is holding up with no issues. I'm disappointed the dealers (in my area) seem to have no knowledge of this option. The pictures are ordered 1-4, in the order of the repair. We did not opt to take the top off. If this doesn't hold, we'll go that route. The weld felt like the material is one piece again. This is not glue or epoxy that's going to come out. Just drilled holes on both ends (stop the crack) of the crack and used a sharp drill bit to make a small groove in the crack. There's also a method to put a stainless mesh backing in the weld to make it even stronger. The welder has adjustable heat so you are at the right temp with the plastic. Once we were done we sanded to rough it up and then used a small flame to glaze. It turned out pretty darn good. You can't really tell there was an issue. If you repair it from the inside, you can make it look even better (see videos). From the inside you can add all kinds of reinforcement. In my opinion, a kit like this is awesome for all kinds of kayak, and plastic repairs. I'm loving it.

Got a plastic welder kit here and it worked very well. $180
http://www.tooltopia.com/urethane-supply-5700ht.aspx

Nice training videos from the tool maker
http://www.urethanesupply.com/Airless-Welders-1/5700HT/

Flotation
If you look inside the bow of the spark there's no flotation. Someone posted that it's near the rear of the vessel (engine compartment). If seadoo could reinforce the bow with flotation (spray foam) or honeycomb components, a front impact would be minimized. Now that we have this plastic welding kit and a little confidence, repairing smaller cracks and such really should be no big deal.

The dealer estimate was 4k to repair this (hull replacement). We spent 200 and have a kit to fix other stuff. We would have gladly paid $500 to have an expert pull the top and repair it. It would be a good idea for the dealers to sell the kits at least.
Attached Thumbnails
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1_SEADOO_CRACK.jpg
Views:	514
Size:	100.9 KB
ID:	8178   Click image for larger version

Name:	2_SEADOO_CRACK.jpg
Views:	699
Size:	193.7 KB
ID:	8186   Click image for larger version

Name:	3_SEADOO_CRACK.jpg