Handlebars broke off on my brand new Spark - Sea-Doo Spark Forum

post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-21-2017, 02:38 PM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
Exclamation Handlebars broke off on my brand new Spark

Bought it brand new 2 months ago, only 16 hours on the clock to date. Was blasting round our boat this weekend at around 30mph doing figure of eight turns (in flat calm conditions, we were in an anchorage)...suddenly I flew off sideways holding the handlebars, and cutting my arm in the process. Also had a bad neck and back for the last 2 days.

Here are some pics -

So far the response from BRP via the retailer is that they are adamant this was not a recalled unit (despite manufacture year on the HIN showing 2014...) They want me to return the unit to St. Martin, even though I live in Antigua and have no means to get it to St. Martin (and I certainly can't drive it to St. Martin without the handlebars...)

Will keep you all posted with BRP handling and treatment of this case, hopefully it will be a positive experience of good customer service and them rectifying something that is clearly a manufacturing issue, but will keep posting with a true account as it happens...

Incidentally, for those with a keen eye, you can see flat/smooth areas on the fracture line, along with a very large air bubble - clearly poor manufacturing on a crucial structural element...

Last edited by aquacruise; 02-21-2017 at 03:08 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-21-2017, 03:22 PM

2014 models were the recalled models.
Is there no dealer near you?

I have many skills
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-21-2017, 03:29 PM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tash Neame View Post
2014 models were the recalled models.
Is there no dealer near you?
I bought it in St. Martin (at the Sea Doo dealership) then shipped it to Antigua. St. Martin is the closest, but we are talking min $2k return shipping...
They are insisting that it was NOT a recall model (based on the HIN number).
From my perspective, I bought it brand new in Dec 2016 from an authorised BRP dealer - so to be frank, I don't really care either way whether it was a recall or not...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-22-2017, 01:31 AM

well it should be covered by warranty anyway regardless of whether it was a recall model.

I have many skills
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-22-2017, 05:05 PM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
Default No warranty provided by brp for broken handlebars

UPDATE - today I received the following email from the Sea Doo dealership (Island Waterworld, St. Martin):

"I have submitted the forms, however, BRP have confirmed the following.
The unit is / was not part of any recall.
As the unit is not part of any recall, this cannot be currently considered a warranty case.
"

This on the basis of handlebars that have broken off whilst riding at moderate speeds in a flat calm bay, with independent witnesses...!

Comments anyone, these guys treatment of clients is appalling!
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-22-2017, 07:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aquacruise View Post
UPDATE - today I received the following email from the Sea Doo dealership (Island Waterworld, St. Martin):

"I have submitted the forms, however, BRP have confirmed the following.
The unit is / was not part of any recall.
As the unit is not part of any recall, this cannot be currently considered a warranty case.
"

This on the basis of handlebars that have broken off whilst riding at moderate speeds in a flat calm bay, with independent witnesses...!

Comments anyone, these guys treatment of clients is appalling!
As somebody who is getting ready to buy a second after just buying one 6 months ago I dont like this one bit.

What were you doing exactly when they broke? These handlebars should not be snapping unless involved in an accident.

They must have an appeal process, try that first. And if that doesn't work get an estimate and file a claim in small claims court to the price or up to the amount allowed. List your witnesses. Then after it is done call and tell BRP (not dealership) you filed the civil warrant. This prevents them from making all of the decisions from here on out.

Your going to have witnesses, documentation with info about recall for same issue, and some back and neck pain to take to court. My guess is BRP will be calling you....keep us updated.

Last edited by Gibbs828791; 02-22-2017 at 08:07 PM.
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-22-2017, 08:27 PM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gibbs828791 View Post
As somebody who is getting ready to buy a second after just buying one 6 months ago I dont like this one bit.

What were you doing exactly when they broke? These handlebars should not be snapping unless involved in an accident.

They must have an appeal process, try that first. And if that doesn't work get an estimate and file a claim in small claims court to the price or up to the amount allowed. List your witnesses. Then after it is done call and tell BRP (not dealership) you filed the civil warrant. This prevents them from making all of the decisions from here on out.

Your going to have witnesses, documentation with info about recall for same issue, and some back and neck pain to take to court. My guess is BRP will be calling you....keep us updated.
I was doing figure of eight turns around my own motor yacht at the time, which was anchored in Jolly bay, Antigua. I was doing around 30 mph, and after a particularly tight turn the handlebars came off in my hands, I went 90 deg sideways and the jetski went straight on (obviously was wearing the kill cord so it cut out). But I have to say that the conditions were FLAT calm (as is always the case in Jolly bay with the prevailing north easterly winds, and bearing in mind the yacht was at anchor with other yachts nearby which proves the calm conditions). Also I was far from max speed on the unit, and also I don't weigh that much (70kg, far less than the average US rider if I might be so bold as to say...?)

To be perfectly honest, I am totally and utterly flabbergasted by BRP's response. I have already forwarded all the correspondence and evidence (which includes the owner of a 3rd party yacht that witnessed the whole thing, and happens to be a lawyer and is willing to testify, which is great for me...) to my own lawyers, and have asked them to open a case. I was originally only seeking to have my handlebars replaced/repaired under warranty, I'm not the litigious type and was willing to take the injury and inconvenience as a part of life; but now they have forced me to take action and I am afraid this is going to be a much more serious case for them, and I don't mind not sparing the wallet on this...

I will keep you all posted....
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-23-2017, 03:33 PM

can you claim it on insurance?

I have many skills
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-24-2017, 09:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tash Neame View Post
can you claim it on insurance?
You could if you had full coverage. This is why I have full coverage jump waves like crazy and dont worry about it. Of course other then getting hurt.
post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-01-2017, 01:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aquacruise View Post
I was doing figure of eight turns around my own motor yacht at the time, which was anchored in Jolly bay, Antigua. I was doing around 30 mph, and after a particularly tight turn the handlebars came off in my hands, I went 90 deg sideways and the jetski went straight on (obviously was wearing the kill cord so it cut out). But I have to say that the conditions were FLAT calm (as is always the case in Jolly bay with the prevailing north easterly winds, and bearing in mind the yacht was at anchor with other yachts nearby which proves the calm conditions). Also I was far from max speed on the unit, and also I don't weigh that much (70kg, far less than the average US rider if I might be so bold as to say...?)

To be perfectly honest, I am totally and utterly flabbergasted by BRP's response. I have already forwarded all the correspondence and evidence (which includes the owner of a 3rd party yacht that witnessed the whole thing, and happens to be a lawyer and is willing to testify, which is great for me...) to my own lawyers, and have asked them to open a case. I was originally only seeking to have my handlebars replaced/repaired under warranty, I'm not the litigious type and was willing to take the injury and inconvenience as a part of life; but now they have forced me to take action and I am afraid this is going to be a much more serious case for them, and I don't mind not sparing the wallet on this...

I will keep you all posted....
Exact same thing just happened to me this weekend, same break as yours, 2014 model as well. What has BRP done so far?

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page