Never Buy a Spark - Sea-Doo Spark Forum
 1Likes

post #1 of 30 (permalink) Old 12-20-2017, 03:30 PM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
Default Never Buy a Spark

Read this before you decide to waste your money on adisposable jet ski.
My new 2016 Seadoo Spark cracked the hull while driving upon a floating dock when it was only one month old. Seadoo’s process to repair the hull is toorder a new hull with the correct vin number and have the Dealer install the newpart. In Chicago our summer are veryshort so I found a new hull and had my Spark back on the water in 48 hours.
2017 with only 20 hours the engine fails. I took the top off and I could see a hole inthe side of the engine so I took it to the Dealer since it was still underwarranty. Seadoo asks for a picture ofthe damage and says the engine is hydro locked.
So I decided to pull the engine and send the motor out for arebuild. When I get the motor out I findthe wrist pin and a section of the rod on the bottom of the Spark. With proof this is not a hydro locked engine Isend this picture to the Dealer for Seadoo to look again. Now they come back and say the hullreplacement caused the engine to fail. Really! How?
So obviously Seadoo will do anything to avoid paying on their warranty.

Wrist pin rod.jpg

Any ideas on how to get Seadoo to honor their warranty?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Wrist pin rod.jpg
Views:	541
Size:	347.2 KB
ID:	9170  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 30 (permalink) Old 12-21-2017, 08:08 AM

Sounds like you have had some major bad luck, Sea Doo sells thousands and thousands of these things and I’m hearing about some Sparks with over 1000 hours on them you have had 2 major catastrophes with yours within hours? That sucks.

post #3 of 30 (permalink) Old 12-21-2017, 10:08 AM

sorry about your luck that really sucks. These are proven engines though I don't think they have an engine issue. As far as the hull there are a few horror stories out there but most are just fine. I am a little surprised about the response of Sea doo. Was this the dealer telling you this or was this word from BRP themselves? I have had issues where dealers just don't want to do warranty work on other brands. Typically the manufacturer listens to the advise of the dealer. I have a feeling they didn't like that you were working on it yourself

Last edited by Greenhornet2; 12-21-2017 at 10:10 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 30 (permalink) Old 12-21-2017, 10:28 AM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greenhornet2 View Post
sorry about your luck that really sucks. These are proven engines though I don't think they have an engine issue. As far as the hull there are a few horror stories out there but most are just fine. I am a little surprised about the response of Sea doo. Was this the dealer telling you this or was this word from BRP themselves? I have had issues where dealers just don't want to do warranty work on other brands. Typically the manufacturer listens to the advise of the dealer. I have a feeling they didn't like that you were working on it yourself
My Dealer only relayed information from BRP via phone calls so I do not have anything from BRP in writing. I know they did not like me working on my Spark. The Dealer was really no help at all but BRP is responsible for the warranty. I own a auto repair shop and the repairs I have done to this Spark were done by ASE certified mechanics most likely more qualified then the Dealership mechanics.

If you took your Ford to Jiffy Lube for an oil change Ford can not tell you your warranty is void without proof Jiffy Lube did something wrong. They never even took the engine out for a proper diagnosis. I'm hoping someone on this forum has information to help me get to a BRP contact that can help.

Thanks for you input.
post #5 of 30 (permalink) Old 12-21-2017, 03:18 PM

ah - the issue could be that you did the work yourself. Yes the person working on it may be a mechanic, but usually with warranty work they need to see that you've gone through a certified Sea-Doo mechanic.
Understand I am in no way suggesting that you did something wrong to your Spark, but it would be the same as me buying a Ford and taking it to a certified Hamilton Jet mechanic for warranty work rather than a Ford dealership. Ford may feel that the warranty is void because it wasn't serviced by people they have certified, and who aren't car mechanics, even if the work is sound.

I have a 2015 Spark that I've owned for over 2 years, I ride mine on to a docking ramp every time I take it out and my hull is fine. I have also had no engine issues.

I think your best bet is to contact BRP directly, but I am sorry I have no direct contact information.

I have many skills

Last edited by Tash Neame; 12-21-2017 at 03:22 PM.
post #6 of 30 (permalink) Old 12-21-2017, 04:39 PM

Talk to BRP directly cut out dealer or find a good dealer there out there
Ask how anything you did can cause con rod to brake
Not some bullshit jabba proof
Call you state consumer help line
All the best

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #7 of 30 (permalink) Old 12-22-2017, 07:46 AM

Yes I would contact BRP directly. Try contacting another dealer and asking how to get in contact with BRP. While it is true maintenance can be done anywhere as long as records are kept manufacturers can require certified techs to perform work that are certified on that machine. The fact that it is the original engine they should IMO give you the parts to fix it but then they may not honor any further repairs if the repairs weren't done at a dealer. They also don't have proof of what machine the broken parts came from unless they do a whole engine and keep records of the serial numbers on their engines. I process warranty claims for GM for 30 US dealers I know how crazy manufacturers can get. My CFmoto side by side CFmoto won't do any warranty work unless a dealer tech works on it, they don't even trust them to order things themselves they have to call CFmoto every time to get approval, seems a lot of powersport warranty is like this
post #8 of 30 (permalink) Old 12-23-2017, 11:15 AM

Burke provided alot of information and issues but we need to break this down a bit for future buyers that use this forum for research, and sorry Burke you wont like it all.

The Hull- I live on the water have 2 sparks on 2 floating docks I go on and off the docks 3 or 4 times a week, sorry but this issue was more then likely user error. My guess is somebody missed or came in way to hot! I know this wasnt mentioned as a warranty issue by Burke but we should make it clear the hulls dont make it a disposable ski.

Rotax 900- this has been a bullet proof engine that they use in snow mobiles also. Not to say you couldnt get a lemon but replacing a hull is a major job, seems like quite a coincidence the hull gets swapped and an engine I have never heard of catastrophic failure happening. So find out what BRP says could have caused the problem from a hull change.

No doubt they hate warranting stuff which makes me nervous doing simple maintenance so I take pictures. I personally would have never done a hull swap myself while under warranty because of this exact situation.

Good luck..I do feel for your bad luck

Last edited by Gibbs828791; 12-23-2017 at 11:19 AM.
post #9 of 30 (permalink) Old 12-23-2017, 04:01 PM

A rod breaking clean off in the center without bearing damage is most likely from hydrolocking . Be it fuel ,coolant ,oil ,or water. It only has to happen once to cause the damage and the rod can fatigue and break anytime thereafter. It should have a viewable bend when both pieces are put together but many times it it keeps going smashing its way around for a while so it makes it difficult to identify what happened when.
post #10 of 30 (permalink) Old 01-08-2018, 04:01 AM

Who undertakes a hull swap on a ski that is still under warranty? Blows my mind.

Where’s the pics of your actual engine?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk