New (to me) Spark, looking for some guidance - Sea-Doo Spark Forum

post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-01-2019, 07:51 PM Thread Starter
eYe

(Thread Starter)
Default New (to me) Spark, looking for some guidance

Hey everyone. I just got 2017 Spark HO 3up. This is my firs PWC, hoping to get some insights. I wanted to wait until second ride to post but there are 3 things that worry me after I took it out today:

1. I'm taking on some water. After 20 min of semi-hard ride i got about 1/2 to 3/4 of a gallon drained out of hull. I'm not sure if it was only this ride or not. I also trailered it in extremely hard rain for 30 min few days ago while it was missing oil plug cover. How normal is having that much water there? I've read about people on both sides, just trying to get more data on it.
2. To me ( I don't have any other options but my own) it sounds like crap. It has shake at idle but starts moving pretty fast at WOT. It tops out at [email protected] On perfectly flat lake, multiple directions top speed is 40mph. This is HO engine with 19hrs on it. I was under impression that it should do at least 50 mph? Is idle supposed to be smooth? I mean, it's 4-stroke engine
3. My IBR bucket has a little play to it when ski is off. May be 3/4" up/down. Somewhere, I've read that it shouldn't have any play. How's everyone else's?

I bought this unit out of the water. I knew engine was running but that's about it. Good thing is that apparently it has another 3 years of BEST so at least I have that going.

Thank you in advance for any help I will get. I hope to stick around this forum and keep this Spark for while.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-01-2019, 08:54 PM

1- Hard to say where the water is coming from, yes it could of come from the cap being off. Most of the time if water is coming in the hull while riding it is coming in through where the drive shaft meets the engine. There are seals that wear and will allow water in.

2- Seadoos out of the water can sound like crap because there is a normal bearing pump rattle. In the water it should idle smooth. Are you sure you are in sport mode? Could be a bad wear ring, look and see if you see any holes or cracks. Check the impeller. Would replace the plugs although thats not many hours on them.

3-IBR bucket you describe is normal.
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-01-2019, 11:38 PM Thread Starter
eYe

(Thread Starter)

@Gibbs828791

1. 19hrs and seal already worn? That would be very disappointing...would it be covered by warranty or is it wear/maintenance item?
I drained it now let it dry and try again to rule out rain part of it.
2. Definitely in sport mode. I will check for all items that you've mentioned but I'm still surprised that it tops out at 40mph even every time. Not 38-39 or 40-41-42, exactly 40. I also didnt notice much difference (if any) between modes to be honest.

Now, I also see that there's no coolant in overflow reservoir. Didn't get any overheat warnings but that's not to say that previous owner didn't. Gonna top it off and see if i lose it again. I've read some horror stories about 2017s leaking coolant left and right.
3. Thank you for
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-02-2019, 08:00 AM

1- The seal is a wear item, it is suppose to be replaced every 2 years I believe or so many hours I cant remember exactly its in the manual. At 19 hours I would think it would be covered. Most people are not doing the replacement because its a big, expensive job.

2- I had a small hole in my wear ring and I was loosing top end for several hours until it finally cracked.

3- There was a seadoo bulletin about replacing the water pump gasket because of leaks. Leaks are usually from 2 spots. The water pump gasket or from the cheap resvior deforming to being oblong from oval and once someone takes of the cap it never seals properly again.

Its great its under warranty, make a list and take it in, only problem is this time of year you may loose it for a while. One of mine has been in under warranty for 2 weeks and counting.
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-02-2019, 01:21 PM Thread Starter
eYe

(Thread Starter)

I definitely have coolant in my hull - it's pinkish and had sweet taste to it. Going to take it to dealer once I confirm that im losing bit consistently. Got couple jugs of OEM coolant.

Talked to guys at Sea Doo dealership and they're saying speed loss is definitely because of driveline - either wear ring, impeller or jet pump. I went ahead and bought OEM wear ring, going to tackle that tonight. They ruled out shaft and engine right away.
Idle is ok, according to them. I compared it to Ford Diesel and they said it was normal sound. I guess I expected it to purr like small Honda engine because it's 4stroke. I'm still going to ask dealer to confirm that its normal when I take it in. And will change spark plugs if they take it apart anyway.

Thank you for your help, I'll update as I get things worked out.
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-02-2019, 03:53 PM Thread Starter
eYe

(Thread Starter)

Swapped wear ring. Definitely something got sucked up in there (see pics). Other thing is that two out of three bolts that hold pump unit together we're half-inch unscrewed (also in pic). Almost like someone tried to swap impeller without taking out while unit...really weird.
Shaft teeth looked fine to me, let me know if they don't, I took a pic of them.

Off to the lake tonight, will update.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20190802_134716_1564775464254.jpg
Views:	40
Size:	95.4 KB
ID:	9686   Click image for larger version

Name:	20190802_134722_1564775478917.jpg
Views:	37
Size:	100.5 KB
ID:	9688   Click image for larger version

Name:	20190802_134741_1564775492812.jpg
Views:	35
Size:	77.2 KB
ID:	9690   Click image for larger version

Name:	20190802_134741_1564775508571.jpg
Views:	30
Size:	68.4 KB
ID:	9692   Click image for larger version

Name:	20190802_135857_1564775525828.jpg
Views:	31
Size:	117.2 KB
ID:	9694  

Click image for larger version

Name:	20190802_140528_1564775537995.jpg
Views:	30
Size:	61.2 KB
ID:	9696  
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-03-2019, 02:12 PM Thread Starter
eYe

(Thread Starter)

Update:. I got up to 45-46mph this time but, more importantly, throttle response improved a little bit. I sense new impeller and another wear ring this winter.
I've lost 3/4" off coolant level in expansion tank, not sure if this is because there was not enough to begin with or actually lost it. Will continue to monitor. Felt cooler too after taking out of the water bit that's subjective.
I think I'm going to take it to dealer at the end of the season and have them look for existing/potential problem before winterizing.
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-03-2019, 04:49 PM

My 2017 spark had the water pump gasket spring a leak. It was a warranty job. Apparently there was a bad batch of gaskets in 2017.
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-04-2019, 09:19 AM Thread Starter
eYe

(Thread Starter)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevy View Post
My 2017 spark had the water pump gasket spring a leak. It was a warranty job. Apparently there was a bad batch of gaskets in 2017.
Curious, how was it diagnosed? Or is it pretty obvious and techs will be able to tell right away?
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-04-2019, 12:48 PM

When it happened, I just noticed the coolant bottle was empty when I was cleaning it up after a ride. I guess it wasn’t low enough yet to trigger any alarms.
I saw no evidence of a leak, but apparently the mechanic had seen a few before and knew where to look. They had me back on the water in 24 hours.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page