SeaDoo Spark Forum banner

21 - 29 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
437 Posts
Everyone talks like it's just the tune. There's a lot of other stuff on there and the kid is half he weight of the average male adult. In spite of all of that it's only a few mph faster than a stock 90 with a 220 pounder on the seat.
When it comes to acceleration and speed dont forget to factor in the power to weight. Mark brings up a good point about the riders weight having to do with the faster speeds on the ski. Just imagine the kid on a spark with a tune or even the impeller mod, he will fly regardless.

·
Registered
289 Posts
Weight definitely does have something to do with it, but I also think that you can't take away from the skill of the kid himself. Not just any 14 year old would be able to pull this off.

·
Registered
72 Posts
My 16 year old 130lb son hit 53mph yesterday on one of our 3up HO Sparks in touring mode, no mods.
This was done on a new 3 hour old 2015. I can't justify spending that kind of coin of something that will only gain you 2mph.

·
Registered
115 Posts
I have gotten up to 54 for a split sec on a completely stock 3up ibr. After installing solas 12/17 and riva ss ring, aswell as vts, the fastest has been 52mph. But i havent really got to test it with different trim positons and the water was quite choppy so i unhocked a lot...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
39 Posts
The conditions need to be perfect... Humidity, air temp, water temp, engine temp, water conditions... Everything plays a factor. When I hit 56 about a month ago, the water was definitely not glass. It was a very light chop, and I can't for the life of me explain why it would ever contribute to the higher speed. It was in my 2up, tuned, solas impeller, straight pipe exhaust, intake, and no flame arrestor.

·
Registered
51 Posts
The conditions need to be perfect... Humidity, air temp, water temp, engine temp, water conditions... Everything plays a factor. When I hit 56 about a month ago, the water was definitely not glass. It was a very light chop, and I can't for the life of me explain why it would ever contribute to the higher speed. It was in my 2up, tuned, solas impeller, straight pipe exhaust, intake, and no flame arrestor.
The speed for the Spark is calculated using GPS technology built into the ECU. There are factors that will degrade GPS reception and with a plus/minus accuracy of up to 30 feet the speed it calculates isn't "exact". So take your speed values with a grain of salt. This article explains more about GPS based speedometers.
http://gpssystems.net/accurate-gpsbased-speedometer/

It's still fun to match speed numbers, though!

And for what it's worth, first time out on my unmodified 2up 90 HP I hit 50 mph.

·
Registered
516 Posts
The speed for the Spark is calculated using GPS technology built into the ECU. There are factors that will degrade GPS reception and with a plus/minus accuracy of up to 30 feet the speed it calculates isn't "exact". So take your speed values with a grain of salt. This article explains more about GPS based speedometers.

http://gpssystems.net/accurate-gpsbased-speedometer/

It's still fun to match speed numbers, though!

And for what it's worth, first time out on my unmodified 2up 90 HP I hit 50 mph.

Only IBR Sparks use GPS for speed. Otherwise it's a calculation based on engine speed.

·
Registered
35 Posts
If you really want to test our your speed, I did a radar test last year across my lake heading directly at someone on my landing. Make sure you have a safe distance to stop in though, I think I got 52 mph on a small perfectly flat lake, no ripples, no wind, and early in the morning!

21 - 29 of 29 Posts