SeaDoo Spark Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
916 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hey guys, I was wondering if this has ever happened to you or know what it could be. First of all I had my 2014 Spark 3Up/IBR for almost 2 yrs. & have used it every 3-4 weeks. I took good care of it and also flush with salt away after each use. It always started up first try

About a month ago it didn't start up until I hit the button again and I decided not to let it idle and just give it a tiny amount of gas to charge up the battery a little thinking maybe it was slipping. I rode it for about one minute in a no wake area and then when I got to where I could accelerate it was bogging and pretty much ignoring the throttle I was giving it then bucking a tiny bit. This went on for a couple more minutes as I was being gentle but trying to figure out the issue and then it was totally normal after. I decided to turn around after 10 min of riding, go back to the marina and have the dealership come pick it up and take it in early for its first 50 hour service visit ( it has 38hrs on it ) They did the recall things, checked it over and said all looked great.

I got the ski back, same exact problem next time I took it out. I decided not to turn around and actually ride it longer since the problem seemed go away after 4 min of riding. I played in the ocean for 30 min, then the bay 10 min and all felt normal, no issue and I had a good time. I then brought it in to put away.

I decided soon after to sell it since the marina fees were no worth how often I was able to take it out. I found a good buyer quickly and he had his jetski owner friend test it first (the friend knows a lot about skis and has a mechanic friend) and after he started I ( took 2nd try to start it ) he didn't give it gas and it stalled out. I said " give it some gas, it hasn't been on in 3 weeks " he didn't hear me, he started it again right away then it sounded like it was going to stall but heard me say gas the 2nd time and he went out of the marina out of view while I chatted with the buyer. He came back about 12 min later and said it was fine but having trouble during the first 4 min. The buyer said ya she said give it gas, it hasn't been stared in a few weeks, then the buyer took it for a test drive for about 12 min with no problems. I talked to his jetski owner friend while the buyer was taking his turn on the test drive and he was saying he put a better battery in his jetski (bigger) and there were no issues after that and he thinks the ski may just need a new battery.

Good news is the guy bought it and it was a smooth transaction but I'm wondering if this has happened to anyone else and if the issue was the battery? Could a battery that hasn't been started in a few weeks AND be possibly in need of replacement cause problems with slight bogging and acceleration during the first few minutes then be totally fine after. By the way I'm not turning it on and then trying to lay on the gas. I turn it on and drive it slow, barely giving it gas for the first 60-90 seconds. I'm interested to know. Thanks!

·
Registered
78 Posts
I would check the Spark's spark plugs. Sometimes when these are older or have some buildup they'll cause sputtering until they get hot.

That's my guess, anyway.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.