SeaDoo Spark Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, while riding my 2018 spark trixx yesterday it made some wild grinding sounds and then wouldn't go anywhere..... I thought it was the impeller so I got it home and took it apart but when I removed the impeller pump, the whole drive shaft came out with it. I'm new to the jet ski world so I'm not sure if the shaft is supposed to come out that easy? The machine only has right at 10hrs

Attachments

·
Registered
84 Posts
Did somebody run over something. Yes the driveshaft comes out after the pump is removed.

Can I ask the obvious question....why didnt you take it to the dealer for warranty?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well I thought it was just the impeller so I was going to replace it myself. My dealer would take forever to get it fixed, but with this drive shaft problem I will take it for warranty. Not sure if they'll fight me for warranty work with the impeller being chewed on a little

·
Registered
319 Posts
Your splines are trashed on the crankshaft as well as the driveshaft. The boot holds the drivesshaft in but yours is clearly torn apart from the driveshaft stripping out. Put it all back together and let the dealer take care of it because it will need the engine pulled out to replace the pto adapter.

·
Registered
45 Posts
wizzer,
I understand what you state above. What would cause the shaft splines to strip out? Lodged impeller?...and the motor won?

·
Registered
319 Posts
There are a lot of theories of why they strip out . My personal best guess is the motor was not in proper alignment from the factory . It is known that some engine mounts are found not to be installed correct from day one. That all should be checked before it gets reinstalled . I have a 2014 with a 100hours on it. Ive gone through a bunch of wear rings and plowed a lot of sand bars and my splines still look like new. If it had something go through and jam the prop to were it would strip the spline you would have some serious destruction of the wear ring and blades.

·
Registered
233 Posts
Your splines are trashed on the crankshaft as well as the driveshaft. The boot holds the drivesshaft in but yours is clearly torn apart from the driveshaft stripping out. Put it all back together and let the dealer take care of it because it will need the engine pulled out to replace the pto adapter.

I thought the 16 and newer you didn't have to pull the motor and crank you could just replace the adapter?

·
Registered
319 Posts
Does anyone have a 2016-2018 service manual to confirm it can be removed in chassis? One would think it would be since thats how the older 2 strokes came off but they are different adapters. That would pretty much make life a whole lot easier and less expensive.

·
Registered
45 Posts
In addition to wizzer's request, I'd like to know if there is a specific process for inspecting/checking/performing motor alignment in the service manual.

Thanks for your reply wizzer!

·
Registered
233 Posts
Does anyone have a 2016-2018 service manual to confirm it can be removed in chassis? One would think it would be since thats how the older 2 strokes came off but they are different adapters. That would pretty much make life a whole lot easier and less expensive.
I know they changed something in 2016, prior to that didn't you have to replace the crank? I don't have a service manual I'm just going off of things I read. There's a guy on the seadoo forum that is doing this now I don't know if he is pulling the motor tho.

·
Registered
319 Posts
The crank pto on the earlier sparks is pressed on and there is a company that makes a replacement pto that can be pressed on. Otherwise you have to replace the crank but all replacement cranks are the new screw on design . If mine ever fails I will have the crank threaded if possible to be able to use the OEM new style PTO. The bummer is its an engine pull down to do this on the older ones . You lknow what I find weird is the driveshaft is made of stainless steel which is softer material that the splines on PTO. If anything the driveshaft should always wear and fail and leave the pto good for reuse. I pulled one of mine apart at 95 hours and the 2014 shaft and pto have zero wear.

·
Registered
233 Posts
The crank pto on the earlier sparks is pressed on and there is a company that makes a replacement pto that can be pressed on. Otherwise you have to replace the crank but all replacement cranks are the new screw on design . If mine ever fails I will have the crank threaded if possible to be able to use the OEM new style PTO. The bummer is its an engine pull down to do this on the older ones . You lknow what I find weird is the driveshaft is made of stainless steel which is softer material that the splines on PTO. If anything the driveshaft should always wear and fail and leave the pto good for reuse. I pulled one of mine apart at 95 hours and the 2014 shaft and pto have zero wear.
https://www.seadooforum.com/threads/seadoo-spark-whining-noise.90440/
This is a thread about a guy going through the stripped pto right now.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Well took it back to dealer l, they said stiped the splines twisted the boot as we can tell.... They said they can't warranty it because whatever I sucked up caused it but there was nothing in there when I took it apart....they are saying $1700 to fix it

·
Registered
233 Posts
Well took it back to dealer l, they said stiped the splines twisted the boot as we can tell.... They said they can't warranty it because whatever I sucked up caused it but there was nothing in there when I took it apart....they are saying $1700 to fix it
Thank the dealer for going to bat for you. There is no reason they should submit that to warranty if they gave a chit about their customer. I would contact BRP customer service. Isn't that why they made weak plastic wear rings so crap blew out the wear ring and didn't strip a shaft?? How can they prove you caused the damage? You were just riding along and that happened and found nothing lodged in the impeller. If it was something that was enough to stop the impeller from moving then wouldn't it be still lodged in there?

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have a 2017 trixx, same problem drive shaft stripped. Nothing lodged in there just out playing around. Took to the dealer covered under warranty, BRP has a bulletin on this problem. Back In the water one or two hours later same thing and nothing lodged in there and by the way you can leave the motor In the ski.

·
Registered
233 Posts
I have a 2017 trixx, same problem drive shaft stripped. Nothing lodged in there just out playing around. Took to the dealer covered under warranty, BRP has a bulletin on this problem. Back In the water one or two hours later same thing and nothing lodged in there and by the way you can leave the motor In the ski.
Well that is strange... I have 2 2017 sparks haven't had an issue yet. I don't think there is any difference in the driveshaft on the TRIXX is there?

1 - 20 of 23 Posts