SeaDoo Spark Forum banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got a 4 inch crack in my spark hull. I don't believe I hit anything if I did, I did not feel anything. I'm 6'5 and 280 pounds. Could I have caused this crack by 12 oclocking the ski or jumping waves?

Has anyone found anything for temp repair. My dealer said it would be a few weeks b4 they could get a hull in and swapped. Is there some sort of bondo, or jb weld that would hold until I can get it swapped out?

·
Registered
227 Posts
If you look at the shop manual there is a recommended hull repair procedure. If you are at all DIY inclined you should certainly try a repair first . They say to use West System products. West has specialized products for plastic boats that you may want to check out. In
The few cases that I have heard of with hull cracks the dealers always talks replace and says it's not repairable. That's not what the shop manual says . ( I sometimes wonder if the
service departments read anything) . In spite of what people are being told , just like fiberglass it can crack and just like fiberglass it can be repaired.sure worth a try before dropping a lot of bucks.

·
Registered
185 Posts
I got a 4 inch crack in my spark hull. I don't believe I hit anything if I did, I did not feel anything. I'm 6'5 and 280 pounds. Could I have caused this crack by 12 oclocking the ski or jumping waves?

Has anyone found anything for temp repair. My dealer said it would be a few weeks b4 they could get a hull in and swapped. Is there some sort of bondo, or jb weld that would hold until I can get it swapped out?
Post a picture...

Yep, my phone sent this...

·
Registered
227 Posts
My guess is they will not warranty it. You would have to be able to show a manufacturer
defect ,which there may not be. It may have been caused by impact or excessive pounding
beyond design peramiters . A boat manufacturer rarely will take responsibility for a fiberglass crack . I can't see why Sea Doo would for a plastic crack unless you can prove it is a manufacturing or design failure. On this or another forum someone had a crack and they were charged to replace the hull. I'm not understanding why people aren't learning to repair. It doesn't appear to be more difficult than repairing fiberglass.

·
Premium Member
137 Posts
Well all I have here is ocean. No lakes so I'm hoping my spark will handle it. Taking it out this weekend for first time

·
Registered
1,027 Posts
I really hope it can take an ocean pounding, if it can't I can see it being a deal breaker for many me being one of them.

·
Registered
227 Posts
I would say there are a lot of Sparks being abused all over ther world and I wouldn't get excited about 2 people having a 4 inch crack.i have had dozens of boats and had the need for fiberglass repair on each of them. In fact I have a yearly appointment for fiberglass work on my current sailboat to keep it in excellent condition. If you hit a piece of wood in a sailboat going 6 knots in most cases it bounces off . In a boat going 50 mph the same piece of wood can be like a missile.
Polypropylene boats are not a brand new concept.there are manufactures using this material worldwide for years and sometimes on fairly large vessels . When they are damaged they are repaired and nobody throws away the hull because of a 4 inch crack.

·
Premium Member
201 Posts
Yes pictures please! I'd like to see where exactly it cracked. I've been abusing mine pretty hard in the ocean and luckily no issues yet.

·
Registered
337 Posts
I would say there are a lot of Sparks being abused all over ther world and I wouldn't get excited about 2 people having a 4 inch crack.i have had dozens of boats and had the need for fiberglass repair on each of them. In fact I have a yearly appointment for fiberglass work on my current sailboat to keep it in excellent condition. If you hit a piece of wood in a sailboat going 6 knots in most cases it bounces off . In a boat going 50 mph the same piece of wood can be like a missile.
Polypropylene boats are not a brand new concept.there are manufactures using this material worldwide for years and sometimes on fairly large vessels . When they are damaged they are repaired and nobody throws away the hull because of a 4 inch crack.
No excitement, just wondering where the crack was. The other crack we've seen was on the side of the hull, about water line. Although that guy returned to his at the doc and found a crack, speculated it could of been the heat. Wondering about common themes here.

·
Registered
437 Posts
Wow and another bites the dust.. huh.

Wouldn't the warranty cover it? time to read through all the documents. And if not then wouldn't insurance work something out? Keep us posted.

Last but not least, if possible can you share a picture with us?

·
Registered
227 Posts
If you hit something ,insurance ( assuming you have a policy) minus the deductible would cover it.
They would not jump to replace it but cover the cost of repairing it.

·
Premium Member
768 Posts
I really hope it can take an ocean pounding, if it can't I can see it being a deal breaker for many me being one of them.
I'm with you. I bought mine specifically to go to the ocean. Was told by the dealer that it could take it. Won't be happy if I have to replace a hull that's not covered under warranty.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts