SeaDoo Spark Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking to add manual trim to my non-IBR spark. Can anyone with VTS measure the nozzle angle of trim all the way up and all the way down? Pictures of both would also help. I don't want to over design my trim either direction.

·
Registered
126 Posts
If I had VTS, I'd measure it for you. I'm sure someone will. Lots of great people on this forum.

But, I'd be very interested in how you are going to do this?

·
Registered
259 Posts
If I had VTS, I'd measure it for you. I'm sure someone will. Lots of great people on this forum.

But, I'd be very interested in how you are going to do this?
I know some older skis had manual trim that was set by a dial on the side near your knee. The dial just moved a push-pull cable that actuated the trim ring. You might be able to fit a nozzle from an older ski that had VTS and then run the manual cable.

There are also some people who have retrofitted electrical VTS from older skis into a Spark. I think the downside is that you won't have an indicator this way.
Not the greatest video but it gives you the idea... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zrwBzQPkzdA

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I plan to use the trim ring that comes on the IBR skis. I will go with old school ski push/pull cable or make a bracket with holes drilled with different angle settings. The other option is a screw to tighten or loosen next to the nozzle similar to the old Seadoo HX.

·
Registered
259 Posts
The more I think about it, the more I wonder if the cable in the old school manual trim was actually a push pull type. It may have been actuating a big screw that was attached to the trim ring, thus running the nozzle up and down. That's how the electric VTS works. The motor turns a big screw that actuates a rod attached to a captive nut that runs in a channel. I don't think a push pull cable can handle the up and down force that's applied to the nozzle.
The trim like the old HX works but having to get off the ski to change the trim is a bit of a pain.

·
Registered
1,027 Posts
I plan to use the trim ring that comes on the IBR skis. I will go with old school ski push/pull cable or make a bracket with holes drilled with different angle settings. The other option is a screw to tighten or loosen next to the nozzle similar to the old Seadoo HX.
You might even have luck with finding better rings at the hardware store for all we know.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
This was my temporary trim for the summer. It was good to be able to adjust for playing or riding. I could get in the water and turn the turnbuckle to trim up or down but during this winter I'm planing to make it electronic.

Attachments

·
Registered
274 Posts
The more I think about it, the more I wonder if the cable in the old school manual trim was actually a push pull type. It may have been actuating a big screw that was attached to the trim ring, thus running the nozzle up and down. That's how the electric VTS works. The motor turns a big screw that actuates a rod attached to a captive nut that runs in a channel. I don't think a push pull cable can handle the up and down force that's applied to the nozzle.
The trim like the old HX works but having to get off the ski to change the trim is a bit of a pain.
ya, I am pretty sure the trim system on the 92 xp was a knob on the left side of the body and you just turned the knob to move the nozzle, the next version put a motor up where the knob was and made it the indicator but both were a push pull cable system, I think it was 95 when they went to the motor and gear/sliding block style that was still used up till a couple of years ago. I had the manual HX type on my old 3D and it pretty much stayed in the same position most of the time. As nice it is to have the button on the handle bar with Ibr units I am just as happy with the manual set up.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts