SeaDoo Spark Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Administrator
224 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all,

Over the next few days we will be implementing some changes to our forum password strength and password expiration policies. To make sure you continue having the best experience possible on the community, we regularly monitor the site and the Internet to keep everyone's account information safe. We've recently become aware of a potential risk to some accounts coming from outside of this community. Just to be safe, we are implementing the following changes to improve security even further:

1) We are asking everyone to change their passwords (and will force a one time reset). Along with every user on the forum, new passwords will need to be more complex, and can't be simple words (sorry, you can't have "fluffy" as your password anymore!). Please use a password unique to this community. Reusing passwords can expose your account indirectly when other websites (Twitter, Linkedin, Badoo, etc) are compromised; and

2) Your passwords will expire on a 365 day basis. When you login on the 366th day, you will have to change it.

We'll also be sending out an email to users to let them know about the changes, in upcoming weeks.

Thanks all,

Helena

Community Management

·
Administrator
224 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hey Tash Neame,

As stated above "We are asking everyone to change their passwords (and will force a one time reset). Along with every user on the forum, new passwords will need to be more complex, and can't be simple words (sorry, you can't have "fluffy" as your password anymore!). Please use a password unique to this community. Reusing passwords can expose your account indirectly when other websites (Twitter, Linkedin, Badoo, etc) are compromised"

Even though facebook is a separate site we recommend that if you have an easy password to change it to one that has at least 10 characters that include upper and lower case, numbers and a special character in it.

Thank you,

~ Glenda :)

·
Registered
45 Posts
If I have to change my password every year (366 days as you stated) then I'll just stop posting on this forum and become a lurker....as that is entirely too complicated to have to remember a new password every year for being a member on This Forum....just simply isn't worth the trouble in my opinion as there are plenty of other forums out there that don't require such extreme measures to post about a jetski.

·
Administrator
224 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
If I have to change my password every year (366 days as you stated) then I'll just stop posting on this forum and become a lurker....as that is entirely too complicated to have to remember a new password every year for being a member on This Forum....just simply isn't worth the trouble in my opinion as there are plenty of other forums out there that don't require such extreme measures to post about a jetski.
The security of members accounts is very important to us and although a members personal information or private information such as credit card info is not stored on the site, many people use the same password for multiple sites.

This could create a potential hole for a hacker to get your info which is what we would like to avoid. The forced password change for now is to insure there are no holes on the forum and the one that should happen a year from now can be revisited then and we can look into if it is still needed on the site.

Thanks,
- JB

·
Registered
45 Posts
I fully understand.

Please go ahead a delete my account.

I am completely content as to just "Lurking" on this forum without making any more posts/contributions. I will not attempt to sign back on after I make this post.

There is a LOT of good information that is posted on this forum about the Seadoo Spark and I'll surely enjoy reading it without being a member. Thanks for having this forum up for everyone to use and learn from.

·
Administrator
224 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I fully understand.

Please go ahead a delete my account.

I am completely content as to just "Lurking" on this forum without making any more posts/contributions. I will not attempt to sign back on after I make this post.

There is a LOT of good information that is posted on this forum about the Seadoo Spark and I'll surely enjoy reading it without being a member. Thanks for having this forum up for everyone to use and learn from.
The security of members accounts is very important to us and although a members personal information or private information such as credit card info is not stored on the site, many people use the same password for multiple sites. This could create a potential hole for a hacker to get your info which is what we would like to avoid.

The forced password change for now is to insure there are no holes on the forum and the one that should happen a year from now can be revisited then and we can look into if it is still needed on the site.

I understand your frustration, and hope we can work through this together. However, if you still wish to go ahead with this, please PM us and we will handle it accordingly.

dude...password changes are part of any job that involves a computer. Mine is required to be changed at work every 30 days.

Seems like an extreme reaction.
Hey Tash,

Yes, 30 days is pretty standard in other industries I have been in. It does help provide a safety net for users. Luckily its only every 366 days.

Thanks,
- JB

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.