SeaDoo Spark Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone come up with a cheap and easy trailer markers for backing up a pwc trailer? We pull it with a. f150 with a covered bed. So when we are taking the spark out and the trailer is empty, it is impossible to see. I would like some magnetic sticks but our trailer is aluminum and not magnetic. I know they sell $150 trailer posts but looking for something cheap and diy?

·
Registered
114 Posts
you can get ones for closer to 70 bucks on amazon or at west marine. or just make your own- some u-bolts, bent metal, and pvc. wayyyyy under $150.

·
Registered
47 Posts
How about using some white sidewalk/driveway markers? There about 2 or so dollars each. The bracket would be up to you, but if you make it right. You could just slip the markers into the brackets when needed and remove them when not.

·
Registered
50 Posts
I am a champ at backing up the boat trailer... with the boat on or off. Launch ramp... storage... you name it... slick.

PWC trailer? Not so much. Like you, I simply can't see it... until it's ****-eyed... and it jacks much quicker than the longer boat trailer.

One thing I started doing which helped... and you'd think seems obvious... was using the backup camera!

·
Registered
247 Posts
Watch your Mirrors- Go Slow- and Make Small changes- and It takes time!

Reactions: dolson and TK423

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I cant see the trailer with my mirrors. The trailer is too short. I have had a boat on a trailer for 15 years, backing up is not the problem. Seeing it is.

·
Registered
224 Posts
My problem is I am legally blind on the left, and have poor depth perception. I always miss the cut off point for when I need to initiate a turn in reverse unless I have a skillful person providing hand signals.

·
Registered
47 Posts
This situation is my worst nightmare haha. Without the ski on the trailer its nearly impossible. The trailer is so light i just cheat and jump out of the car and line it back up lol.

·
Registered
47 Posts
I'm really good at backing up my enclosed snowmobile trailer, but the pwc is a little different. I have a double trailer and camper style mirrors on my truck. My problem is that our boat launch that we use 95% of the time is not straight, it's more of a slight curve. So naturally a little over and under steering is always happening. Nothing that a little having to pull forward and trying again can't solve, it is a little inconvenient though.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Seems like we all have the same issue, seeing it. I like thw driveway markers idea maybe with a round magnet at the bottom. How can u get the magnet to stick to aluminum. I thought maybe drilling a stainless steel lag bolt with a big head into the trailer on both sides for magnet to stick to. Easy on and eaay off????

·
Registered
199 Posts
Here is my issue I cant see anything .. but I do have a backup camera . It helps but still very tricky . Some times when there is alot of people waiting I just have my wife back it up and I carry the trailer to the water ..lol it's not the best way but it keeps you young and makes other peoples day..lol

·
Registered
53 Posts
I have a small "coffin" trailer that I haul behind an avalanche, I can't see it at all. What I used was a 1/2 inch fiberglass Fence post and a cb mirror mount bracket with a quick disconnect. Bolt the bracket on the trailer and connect a 4 foot or longer fiberglass cb antennae so you can see it from the truck

·
Registered
337 Posts
just go to HD/Lowes and pick up a couple of those fiberglass reflective rods (driveway marker), stick them to the trailer somehow and you have instant reference points for a buck a piece ;)

·
Registered
11 Posts

Same problem, I can back any trailer known to man to hit a dime.... unless you can't see it. But if you buy the driveway markets, and put some cable clamps on them ~ 2" apart with neodymium magnets.... they hold to the trailer while you back it up.... assuming your trailer frame is steel.

·
Registered
337 Posts

Same problem, I can back any trailer known to man to hit a dime.... unless you can't see it. But if you buy the driveway markets, and put some cable clamps on them ~ 2" apart with neodymium magnets.... they hold to the trailer while you back it up.... assuming your trailer frame is steel.
yes sir! Or you can even drill a small hole the same diameter as the marker and just drop them in the hole. You wouldn't travel with them attached, only for backing up. Your solution does seem much more permanent and safe for travelling ;)

Beautiful rig BTW...

·
Registered
8 Posts
I bought a set from overtones that attaches right to trailer, about 80.00 comes with 2 PVC poles with orange caps. Helps backing to ramp with no ski. Pulling with a Honda Pilot. Quick install, great purchase...

1 - 20 of 29 Posts