SeaDoo Spark Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My Spark is 4 years old, and oem battery needed replacement.
That's a decent lifespan imho.
I ordered a new battery (STX20L-BS) online from BatterySharks, Sunday. Arrived Wednesday.
$46 + $10 s/h. No core charge.
That's fast delivery and great price for agm imho.

Getting the old battery out was not that easy.
Putting the new battery in was also difficult, but the REAL CHALLENGE was getting the hold-down strap hooked in. My forearms are cut, scraped, and badly bruised trying to reach in, there's just no way! So I made a tool (metal rod with notch filed at one end) and that eventually worked.
Why wasn't the hatch made larger so replacing the battery wasn't such a pita?
If I could get my hands on the throat of the Spark engineer/designer responsible for that access hatch, I'd rip his soffa-guss along with his stomach & colon out of his body!

·
Registered
45 Posts
Thanks for sharing the site on a replacement AGM battery! Yes, changing the battery is a pain!

·
Registered
233 Posts
from what I've read taking the top off takes about 20 minutes. Maybe this would have been an easier solution for you. Mine isn't too hard but I am not sure if they changed anything between 2014-2016.

·
Registered
84 Posts
from what I've read taking the top off takes about 20 minutes. Maybe this would have been an easier solution for you. Mine isn't too hard but I am not sure if they changed anything between 2014-2016.

You can put the battery in and out through opening.

I have taken the top off both of mine many times, it takes longer then 20 minutes to take the top on and off. Your going to need all new lock nuts, a torque wrench with very light torque settings, and probably at least a few plastic washers.

Its not a big deal put I read all the time that people do this in 15 to 20 minutes....not if they are doing it correctly based on the shop manual.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Just curious: are the lock nuts and plastic washers the type I can pickup at just about any hardware store or, is there a “best” (preferred) place to order / obtain them from?

(I still haven’t pulled the trigger on a torque wrench yet but, it seems to me I’ll need two; one for heavier applications (I.e., reinstalling the prop hold on bolt on the wife’s 2018 Merc 150 4-stroke outboard); and, a second for lighter applications like these top deck fasteners , etc. I know I’ll need (and am cool with getting) an old style “analog” (“twist and set”) torque wrench but, everytime I think I may have found a reliable torque wrench on Amazon the 1- and 2- star critical reviews put me off ...)

·
Registered
3 Posts
Has anyone come up a way do replace the battery without taking the top off and not scraping every bit of surface area on your arm and hands? It there a tool recommend for getting that strap back on? My god couldn’t be more of a PITA!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts