SeaDoo Spark Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just bought two brand new 90 hp 2 seat sparks for the big 4th of July weekend. The red machine overheated within 10 minutes. I took the engine cover off to see what the heck was going on with a brand new machine. To my surprise , there was no antifreeze in the reservoir. I had a gallon of drinking water with me, so I put that all in the coolant reservoir, but didn't hold. I towed the machine back to shore and added another gallon of water to the reservoir and its still not holding coolant. I'm guessing a hose or clamp went bad, but talk about a buzzkill. I drove 4 hours to the dealership and bought brand new to avoid this Sh1t. The dealer is going to pick the machine up tonight and have their mechanic see what is going on. I wanted to see if anybody else has had any issues like this . I am an optimistic person, and hope for the best, but am a bit worried about this lemon and. I will post up more tomorrow when the dealerships gives me their impression of what happened.

Matt

·
Registered
61 Posts
Well if its brand new it should be under warranty.....

I'd take it back ASAP and they will cover it. Plus you want them to go through the whole machine being it could have messed something else up!

Reactions: mattrick55

·
Registered
516 Posts
I hardly call it a lemon. But that is why brand new vehicles come with a warranty. If brand new vehicles didn't fail they wouldn't need a warranty. You have to think to your self that the assembly of that machine required thousands of individual parts being assembled both by machine and person. Not everyone is going to be perfect.

In fact if brand new vehicles didn't have issues I would be out of a job being a warranty mechanic for a new car dealership.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
39 Posts
I just got mine two days ago first time out on the water overheated within five minutes. I have no idea what's going on. Oil and coolant are good to go. I guess I will be headed back to the dealer for the fifth time this week.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Hey Silver - I'm a bit confused by your posts - did your new machine hold the water you added or did it lose it? When you say "oil and water are good to go" do you mean it overheated with water in the cooling system? If so I'd suspect possibly a faulty sensor more so than the engine actually overheating.

Your original post suggests that the coolant was gone. Did you run it after replacing it? Did you check it before heading out the first time? Perhaps the dealer forgot to fill the coolant properly, and only filled the reservoir? If the radiator is truly losing its water and there's no obvious hose loose or something, it will probably need to be leakdown tested to find the problem, because it could be a bad head gasket or something. If it was just under filled it may be nothing. Also - adding water to a hot motor won't cool it instantly. You'd need to let it cool off a bit than try again and see if it gets hot or looses more coolant.

Also - what did the message on the dash say? Was it engine overheating or exhaust overheating? The exhaust system uses lake water from the pump to cool it, and is an entirely different issue. Exhaust overheating is more common from what I've seen, but for the most part people are having good luck with these machines.

Good luck with it. I sincerely hope it gets sorted out. Keep us posted with your results; having this archive of problems and solutions is very helpful to the PWC community.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Oops, just realized that two members were posting separate problems. Keep us updated Silver, and Matt if you could provide more details the community will be able to be more helpful.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Oops, just realized that two members were posting separate problems. Keep us updated Silver, and Matt if you could provide more details the community will be able to be more helpful.
Sorry for the confusion. I never added water or anything I just looked to make sure the reservoir had coolant and it. The message that I am getting is engine overheating not exhaust.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.