SeaDoo Spark Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
...(didn't mind pressing "1" for English either :) and gave my VIN on my 2014 Spark (I took delivery o/a 5/10) and asked about recalls et all. My VIN showed "none" on the handlebars!So this weekend, takin the last short ride after filling w/ fresh fuel and stabilizer for nine US gallons and bringing home for a complete wash down, couple exhaust flushes and then will suction the oil, replace filter and refill before hitting all the spots with XPS lube and waxing away this winter. (Battery tender will stay connected too). Thinking by using full synthetic oil I can get 2 seasons w/o changing it (though I may change the filter again next season). Looks like the cat will spend more hours on it now till end of April...oh well...;)

·
Registered
1,027 Posts
what oil extractor are you using? I did see this one listed: Hydro-Turf Oil Extractor 6-Liter OIL01

and it's from Hydro Turf... a good brand.

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
what oil extractor are you using? I did see this one listed: Hydro-Turf Oil Extractor 6-Liter OIL01 http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...&tag=everydayweigh-20&linkId=RGFHU722TTGYHH5L

and it's from Hydro Turf... a good brand.
Bought a cheapie from Harbor Freight, worked great, you'll need (per svc manual and my exp) a 15" of tube that will touch the bottom of oil pan and pump away, an old milk jug is prefect for the other end, I then recranked motor with throttle wide open for 3~ secs and got more to empty the sump. The filter is very easy also to change, seems a quality unit. I refilled w/ 2qts of XPS synthetic oil that I plan on using for two seasons, topped off the coolant, lubed everything metal w/ XPS spray, inspected wear ring and prop (fine), hooked a battery charger to get back to 14~ V and then connected a tender. The access panel and oil fill panel and storage bin remain "open" for air flow all year in my heated garage. Also, used the pump in the bilge after washing in there, and sucked it out and cleaned as much of it with my absorber cloth. All seems in good order. Will wax it and the Triton trailer and rotate the 3 trailer tires this winter too. Thorough wash and exhaust flush (2) before I cnanged the oil. Added stabilizer to full tank BEFORE last ride of 45~ mins. Probably will recrank the engine couple times (not start) eery couple mos to circulate the oil and reharge the battery and tender it...

·
Registered
69 Posts
It's a good idea to change oil before storing a watercraft over winter. Combustion contaminants in the oil can attack the metal. It's best to have fresh oil when sitting for a long period. Also the interval per your manual is 100 hours or 1 year.

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
It's a good idea to change oil before storing a watercraft over winter. Combustion contaminants in the oil can attack the metal. It's best to have fresh oil when sitting for a long period. Also the interval per your manual is 100 hours or 1 year.
True, but that's where today's synthetics EXCEL, not absorbing moisture and remaining consistent for L O N G periods. Doubtful our machines get many "short trips" and most - if any combustion byproduct is burned off, especially at the RPM's these run. If anything, change "fluids" on a "vehicle" at shorter intervals when newer as metal "finds it's finish" over the miles/hours. I think stored in a warm garage, a synthetic can easily maintain it's proportions for two years about 75~ hours, but, I like to change earlier on the first change, whether a motor or boat vehicle to get initial wear in out of the lubrication. Now, I'll probably go two years before changing again, then at year three, take the cover off and go through it all, with plugs, et all at that time...coolant at year 5..

I noted my machine "used" about 1/2 pint of coolant, though I believe most of it spalshed out the overflow tube on the waves/rockng etc., over the summer. Still, I topped off to the full/cold line with XPS coolant (not knowing what formulation this coolant actually is- and there are so many used today) costing $13 qt! Lots of XPS spray on all the petal and pivots. nice detailing and a wax too. Leaving the access doors off and battery tender connected, I'll test batt voltage monthly and recharge as needed, can't wait till April!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts