SeaDoo Spark Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I found this odd and was wondering if anyone else has ever experienced this. I had a 2015 spark last year and used to check oil level prior to going out with engine cold on the hoist in the water and it was always near min figured that was fine because the oil level would rise a bit after the engine warmed up. Now I bought a used 2014 spark. Did the oil change and oil level was just above min when complete. Anyways took it out for a test ride in the water and all was well. Had it on the trailer in the garage and pulled the dipstick and it was barely registering. I added a half a quart of oil and it was reading normal. Just for the heck of it I checked it again tonight and it does not show up on the dipstick. Started looking for oil leak but none to be found. So I started it up for a few seconds and shut if off. Now the oil level reads just over max. Is this normal? My 2015 has not moved nor been started and it reads normal all the time. But it seems my 2014s oil level dropped off over night and rises up after engine is started for just a few seconds? Has anyone else seen this?

·
Registered
196 Posts
I found this odd and was wondering if anyone else has ever experienced this. I had a 2015 spark last year and used to check oil level prior to going out with engine cold on the hoist in the water and it was always near min figured that was fine because the oil level would rise a bit after the engine warmed up. Now I bought a used 2014 spark. Did the oil change and oil level was just above min when complete. Anyways took it out for a test ride in the water and all was well. Had it on the trailer in the garage and pulled the dipstick and it was barely registering. I added a half a quart of oil and it was reading normal. Just for the heck of it I checked it again tonight and it does not show up on the dipstick. Started looking for oil leak but none to be found. So I started it up for a few seconds and shut if off. Now the oil level reads just over max. Is this normal? My 2015 has not moved nor been started and it reads normal all the time. But it seems my 2014s oil level dropped off over night and rises up after engine is started for just a few seconds? Has anyone else seen this?
Hmm, did you make sure your ski is level properly, at times if the ski is lower then its center gravity the oil can move forward in the oil pan. I have not seen issues like this on the 2014 but i may be mistaken. Hopefully you find a solution to this problem.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Out of Water
NOTICE Watercraft must be level.
CAUTION When operating
the engine out of water, the heat
exchanger may become very hot.
Avoid any contact with the heat exchanger
as burns may occur.
1. Raise trailer tow pole, then block in
position when bumper rail is level.
2. Install a garden hose on the exhaust
system flushing connector. Refer
to EXHAUST SYSTEM in this section
and follow the procedure.
CAUTION
– Never run engine without supplying
water to the exhaust system.
Failure to cool exhaust system
may severely damage it.
– Never run engine longer than
2 minutes. Drive line seal has no
cooling when watercraft is out
of water. Also, extreme heat will
damage engine.
3. With the engine already at normal
operating condition, let engine idle
for 30 seconds then stop engine.
4. Wait at least 30 seconds for the oil to
settle in the engine.
In or Out of Water
5. To check level, remove access
cover located on rear of RH side of
watercraft by turning counterclockwise.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Can't explain why two models would be different - but in the case of these machines, it's a dry sump system (dumb they don't mention that in the user manual oil instructions...kinda important). Not at all like a car (unless you're driving something fancy that corners hard!), so running it to increase operating temp specifically, and having the machine "level" to check oil are important...but not the most important factors. The important part is to have it running for a bit and checking it shortly after. Your dipstick is checking a reservoir, not a "pan", and that reservoir drains back to the engine. So if it doesn't register on the dipstick, don't add oil until you've run it for a bit, or you'll likely overfill, as you'll add to the reservoir and think you're just topping it up, then once running, the sump system will add even MORE to reservoir, likely pushing it over max.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.