SeaDoo Spark Forum banner

1 - 20 of 88 Posts

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The manual is very specific in saying that you must clamp the water intake hose before towing. I cannot see how this can be done properly. It's next to impossible to reach in that it's about 15 inches in back of the left-hand opening. I did buy several different clamps and tried it out with a garden hose. There was still water intrusion on the hose. Can't see how this works. If the object is that No water gets through, even if I was able to install the clamp, which looks to be incredibly difficult , I can't see how it would totally stop the water from going back into the engine.

·
Premium Member
203 Posts
I towed one of my sparks with the other one for 5 miles last week when the intake grate was disabled. Didn't really have any other choice. Put the new intake grate on today and took it for a test ride, no issues

·
Registered
337 Posts
are we talking about trailered towing or what? Pardon the ignorance but why would you be towing in the water instead of riding? out of gas?

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Actually it's a 53 foot sailboat and I bought the Spark with the intention of towing it.
Cruising speed is 9 knots.

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Finally did manage to get a clamp on but not confident that it will fully prevent water intrusion . Wish I had a valve shut off.

·
Registered
104 Posts
I'm not sure why you need to close the water intake. !. Ism't the cooling system a closed system? So the water intake is to cool the exhaust and doesn't that run right back out?

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Still uses engine to cool exhaust. There is no doubt that with pressure water can back up into the engine without clamping effectively.

·
Registered
104 Posts
I have the flush kit installed on my spark. I think the easiest thing to do is get a screw in plug for the end of the flush kit. Easy to carry on board and easy to install if needed.

What are your thoughts?

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
What is that going to do. Blocking the flush hose doesn't keep water out of the pump and exaust.

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I don't think that's correct. I keep my hose connected and up in the air . a tall tail of water shoots out of it when traveling at speed.

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
As I thought it appears that the flush is an outlet when engine is operating and you have clamp the inlet (hose forward on engine)

·
Registered
9 Posts
you need to get a 1" shark bite brass ball valve from home depot. cut the line exactly where the arrow is pointing and install the shutoff valve.
i use mine as a dinghy and tow at 30knots. i use a 75' tow line and it works great. this keeps water from filling the cylinder head.

1 - 20 of 88 Posts