SeaDoo Spark Forum banner

81 - 88 of 88 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Running Engine While Towing

Another question. What if the Spark is functional, but I am towing behind a houseboat. Couldn't I simply start the engine in neutral, letting it idle while I tow. Wouldn't that keep the water from coming back up the hose and into the engine? Wastes a little bit of gas, but considering all the other options, this may have merit.

·
Registered
516 Posts
If it's idling I don't know if sustained idling would have enough water flow to cool the exhaust, it's possible it would be fine.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
9 Posts
If it's idling I don't know if sustained idling would have enough water flow to cool the exhaust, it's possible it would be fine.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I've idled mine for 30 minutes at a time easily - using it as a slow boat in 6 knot zones (actually doing about 6kmh) - has not ever lit the overheating lamp or shown any trouble (at 22h use now)

Re: the clamping - in theory just (well, not 'just' but still) covering the intake grate with plastic would insure you get no water into the exhaust while towing - anyone know/hazard a guess?

·
Registered
1 Posts
Here is my plan

My sailboat goes 5-6 kts max. Once, with a newly painted hull, I did get to 9 knots, but that's a speeding ticket in a sailboat.

I tow my Spark (I used to tow my 24 year old Kaw TS650)

I have no plans to clamp anything, just tow.

I will let you all know the results, my guess, nothing.
Hows has it been working for you? I have a 30 ft Bayliner and would like to tow my new Spark behind us until we reach a anchoring location. The clamp/valve idea sound great as long as it has easy access since you would be on water when opening or closing the valve. The Sea Doo rep said you either clamp the water inlet house or tow no more than 3-5 mpg. Any update would be appreciated.

Below is good towing device (looks good)

http://www.towdster.com/

·
Registered
1 Posts
I know this is an older thread. I just got a spark a few days ago and I'm trying to familiarize myself with things. I saw info in the manual about clamping the inlet hose when towing then in searching I found this thread. As I was reading farther in the manual it mentions when flushing the exhaust system to attach a garden hose to the flushing connector in the rear. It says you must have the engine running before you turn on the water so water doesn't go in the engine. I haven't dug into it since I'm finding this information now, and I'm at work and not in front of the spark, but does anyone know if that flush connection in the rear is the same hose that is pinched for towing and if so, why not just put a plug in that hose connection when you tow?

81 - 88 of 88 Posts