SeaDoo Spark Forum banner

41 - 60 of 87 Posts

·
Registered
916 Posts
Discussion Starter #41
^ ya same question since I got my spark June 1st. I heard the depth finder was $300 not sure how much extra to install

·
Registered
247 Posts
^ ya same question since I got my spark June 1st. I heard the depth finder was $300 not sure how much extra to install
Depth Finder is a waste of $$$ Unless your a fisherman? At 15 MPH you would go aground in about 1 second if you go in shallow water? The depth finder will just reaffirm that you bit the dust?:)

·
Registered
916 Posts
Discussion Starter #43
Before I bought my spark I had planned on getting the depth finder. I told my dealer that i didnt want to get stuck in a sand bar. he said if i did , the spark is so light i could easily push it out and said i could get it but he didnt feel it was at all necessary so i didnt get it. in miami i can see to the bottom if its to shallow. if i lived in a place where i couldnt see to the bottom , ya id prob go for the depth finder personally.

·
Registered
236 Posts
The Sea Doo depth finder is $299. Plus you will need a harness to install which I remember was $89.99. I bought both and installed at time of purchase so I got the 10% deal. I got them on both my Sparks. I like them for my situation where I ride and here's why.

The Chesapeake Bay is like a river Delta with drainage dumping into it from a million creeks and other small water ways carrying all that dirt, tree bark, silt, vegetation from Pensyltucky, which sinks to the bottom and makes these mucky mud bars that are not supposed to be there.

The kind of mud bars that if you try to walk on them, most likely one of your legs will sink up to your crotch and get bitten off by a muck monster of your nightmares. So if and when you get stuck on one of these, getting out and pushing it off is not quite the same thing as getting off on a clear ocean water pure sand bar.

Hear the water is murky and brackish. You can't see the bottom. Plus you can't use the Bay coast line to guess your water depth like you can with various rivers and lakes I've been on. You could be half a mile or more and water depth is 1-3 feet.

So for me having the finders is golden because on more than one occasion I've been rocking along at 30mph, depth at 65 feet, and suddenly I'm in 5 feet rapidly decreasing depth. Time enough to pull back on throttle. But beyond getting stuck, I don't want my Polytek hull to take the full force of 35-40mph grounding into something that could puncture it.

Was with a buddy on a speed boat and his finder didn't work. But he said we didn't need it. We got stuck. So yeah we needed one.

·
Registered
318 Posts
How does the depth finder work. Can it kill the engine at a predetermined depth to prevent sucking up debris? Does it have an alarm to let you know your getting into shallow water?

·
Registered
39 Posts
I have disassembled my ibr to toss a new wear ring and impeller in twice(once to put in a new wear ring and fix my impeller, and once to put in my new solas impeller)... there is a thick washer that goes through the composite arm attached to the ibr gate with a washer on each side, if this is assembled without the "washer"(I don't know the technical term for it) it would definately put a lot more stress on the hydraulics than what it should normally have to put out.

All pressure should be on the metal washer going through the ibr arm and the ibr arm should be able to move free and easy even with over-tightening the bolt.

·
Registered
236 Posts
How does the depth finder work. Can it kill the engine at a predetermined depth to prevent sucking up debris? Does it have an alarm to let you know your getting into shallow water?
Its a depth finder which gives you depth below your keel just as on more expensive Jet Skis or larger power or sail boats.

As far as killing the engine, the finder won't do that and throttle is left up to you. For me I'd rather have control of the throttle in every situation rather than a preset computer cut-off. A tone would be nice that I could shut off but as it is you have to monitor that yourself. So no depth warning. Just a number and your own judgement. The depth read-out is available after a third push on your red button for the display. Which is nice having it integrated compared to some of the external mounts I've seen for aftermarket depth finders around the Chesa Bay, garmin etc.

·
Registered
236 Posts
that would be nice. the spark already beeps at startup. too bad they couldn't have used that same speaker for the finder. Readout better than nothing I guess.

·
Registered
185 Posts
I have disassembled my ibr to toss a new wear ring and impeller in twice(once to put in a new wear ring and fix my impeller, and once to put in my new solas impeller)... there is a thick washer that goes through the composite arm attached to the ibr gate with a washer on each side, if this is assembled without the "washer"(I don't know the technical term for it) it would definately put a lot more stress on the hydraulics than what it should normally have to put out.

All pressure should be on the metal washer going through the ibr arm and the ibr arm should be able to move free and easy even with over-tightening the bolt.
That would be a bushing. Also, it isn't hydraulic, it is just an electric motor that pushes the arm forward or back. Good info for those who dismantle their iBR.

Yep, my phone sent this...

·
Registered
45 Posts
Tripped limp mode upon rolling it and I fell so close it did not trip the kill switch.

Second time rolling, kill switch tripped when it was on it's side, started up after waiting 5 minutes, said check engine. Began the long arduous journey back to the dock in limp mode, after about 50 ft limp mode cut off and all was normal again.

·
Registered
916 Posts
Discussion Starter #54
lol Trevon you should put a knot in your kill switch cord to make it shorter since you seem prone to rolling it lol.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Haha yea, I'll get a shorter one soon, or a wrist one.

Ride this thing like a stand-up in slow corners and before ya know it, it's going over!

Saved it today though - zero rolls!

·
Registered
916 Posts
Discussion Starter #56
nice. i do a lot of heavy leg work at the gym. i tried riding it like a stand up before and my legs were too sore to want to keep doing that :p I honestly dont think i ever want to roll mine. i dont know if that makes me smart or a ***** :)

·
Registered
916 Posts
Discussion Starter #57

·
Registered
6 Posts
We have had 2 3up 900 IBR sparks for a week now.......first one sucked up debris and $800 dollars later its just fine......second one was sitting in 5 feet of water over night and next morning hull full of water......now its at shop and they have no idea why......neither one has never been rolled......as of right now both sparks have 1.5 hours on them.......super frustrated!!!

·
Registered
114 Posts
I just got back from a vacation in the great state of maine at a lake and had my spark 3up morred for 3 days at the lake in about 3 ft of water and when I pulled the drain plug I had only 2 drops of water drip out. I also sucked up a tow rope and after I cut it out of the impeller it ran 100 percent! my boarding step got used 3 times and works flawlessly! no broken handle bars as I did the diy flat stock fix. I am having great luck with the spark and it's durability. Got it 2 weeks ago and just tipped 14 hrs
I'm always super careful about debris and everyone should be

41 - 60 of 87 Posts