SeaDoo Spark Forum banner

Compiling List Of Spark Problems. If You Have Had One Please Post Here

110K views 90 replies 43 participants last post by  ///Mdriver 
#1 ·
Hey guys I have been hearing about problems Spark owners have been having. I'm not surprised that there are kinks to work out since this is the first year on the market. Some of them common, some of them I'm wondering if its due to user error / not being careful.

I'm asking you guys to post here if you have had a problem with your Spark.

I want to compile a list of problems for myself and maybe you will want to also , so that when my Spark has its first check up I can ask the mechanic to take a peek at the items listed. Also good to be aware of issues others are having to keep an eye on them.

I have heard of some of these issues and am quoting this list from something someone posted on another site but im just using it to start the list off.

The Handlebars are plastic and are cracking or breaking in half on a few of the Sparks.

The plastic wear rings shatter when a rock comes through the pump, even a small piece of wood will crack it.

The props are digging into the wear rings at an alarming rate, it's like the bottom of the wear ring is getting 5 times as much rubbing as the top. Something is not lining up the pump area or there is some flexing going on.

The props are rusting when you use them in salt water and are not made with quality metal, I have seen a few that are banged up big time after just one rock went through the pump.

The sides of the hull are weak points, if you hit a dock or bump into a friend's ski at low speed it is making huge cracks.

There is an electrical issue that is happening as the wires rub against the engine block and the wires get exposed, blowing a 15 amp fuse in the fuse box.

#2 ·
So far all I have experienced is the rusting impeller from the salt water, and a minor crack in my handlebars. (Hasnt developed into a major one yet). Most plastic wear rings will be damaged from a foregin material being shot through it so not sure if we can count that.

#3 ·
Now I gotta check my impeller tomorow for rust lol. I only have salt water here but rinse it thouroly and flush after ever ride. My only problem is that my handle bar support is cracked in half. 6 hours on the meter. Riding was very conservative for a jetski. Was a bit choppy on the water so could have done it in. But a 1ft chop should NOT be cracking bars like it is

#4 ·
I ride the River (Non Salt) and after 9.5 hours have No Rust on impellor and No deterioration of the wear ring at All.
If you run over crap you will pay with any ski?
I Took of top and zip tied the suspect wires so they Do Not cause a problem-Its Not needed to take top off to do this but makes it easier!
For every problem you hear on a Forum, Hundreds have No Problem- Happy people do not complain?

Reactions: skennedy71
#7 · (Edited)
2Up/60 HP..breaking in on small local lake, it's shallow until outa the channel, I "flush" after every use (3 so far). 2.5~ hours only

only issues are "body related". It's dry inside and seems to run fine, fluid levels same as delivered, intake clean, inpeller looks new - as it should

1) LH access panel - 3 tabs broke, so I'm duct taping it, when will BRP send me a new one?
2) The lower right corner Body protection piece (the optional scrape protectors) keeps popping off, dealer will need to resecure w/ more 3M adhesive and aligning tabs better is my guess.

#11 ·
Guys the closed loop refers to the engine cooling system, doesnt anyone learn about the the things they own, instead of pumping water from the jet unit through the engine to cool, the sparks have a heat exchanger on the left of your inlet, its in the owners manual!. I wouldnt warranty a unit with stuff sucked up it either as its a user issue

#14 · (Edited)
I Took of top and zip tied the suspect wires so they Do Not cause a problem-Its Not needed to take top off to do this but makes it easier!
good info.

PPIJAY - Yes indeed :) but good to hear that others are issue free :)

JeffinwesternWA is right - the " shaking it " is on page 70 of the manual which I have been randomly picking through. Jeff the two issues on yours should DEF be covered by warranty nobody should have to ducktape a brand new ski.

#16 ·
good info.

PPIJAY - Yes indeed :) but good to hear that others are issue free :)

JeffinwesternWA is right - the " shaking it " is on page 70 of the manual which I have been randomly picking through. Jeff the two issues on yours should DEF be covered by warranty nobody should have to ducktape a brand new ski.
Agree, but, dealer "thinks" BRP will mail me a new cover, so in the meantime, tape it is :(, if not in couple weks, he'll order one.:rolleyes:

BTW, where is my build date on the machine??
Anybody got apic or specific description of the wires to ziptie. Not gonnna pull my top till after the season but, if I can zip those wires now...

#15 ·
4 hours on mine, about a tank of fuel spent. Folled around with the ski alot.
No issues so far.
I think people are over reacting with the handlebars and hull cases. You just have to be carefull with the ski and all will be fine. It's plastic, it will crack easier, but if we are more cautious, the chances of having problems will be smaller.

regards

#18 ·
While I understand these issues are most likely the "minority" in the grand scheme of things, it stinks being one of the minority. We haven't even made the first payment on our Spark and it's already been back to the dealership twice. I want to love it, believe me I am trying! But on the other hand, part of me wants to get rid of this thing before these issues become common knowledge.

#19 ·
I have 2 and each has 8.4 hours and no issues. I live in salt water, so I need to check for rust but I flush after every ride. I have sucked up something in both of my skis but a little throttle play usually shoots out whatever it was, then they run fine. I'm taking it in to the dealer after my 10 hours to have them make sure everything is good!

#20 ·
Skennedy71 - my dealer told me the first check up should be after the 10hr break in period, i asked BRP they said break in period is after 5hrs first check up is due at 50hrs. it cant hurt to do it before but it seems some dealers are saying the first check is due before its really due.

AlSpark - ya that sucks. im sorry to hear all the bs you have been through. id be super hated since if i need mine to go to the dealership they charge $75 each way. (I have a marina spot and no car or trailer) i heard this thing was 5 yrs in the making, they should have had a bunch of these test driven on the water for a year to work out these kinks.
Also when the dealership is doing the initial inspection they should be looking for these problems like wires that could be rubbing on the engine and shorting out.

Jeff - call BRP I have those guys on speed dial. LOL! Option 3 after the french girl recording says her thing. (by the way I love the way she says the letter W when stating the website. 888-272-9222 here is a link to the pics for where to ziptie the wires. http://www.seadoospark.org/forum/se...own-spark-i-think-its-important-you-read.html

#24 ·
Jeff - call BRP I have those guys on speed dial. LOL!
You can also reach us directly via twitter (link in my sig) if you have a question or concern with your Spark. It's a quick way and easy to get in touch with us.

Option 3 after the french girl recording says her thing. (by the way I love the way she says the letter W when stating the website.
We like the way she says the letter "W" too! :D

#21 ·
Just finished break in, only "issue" I've noticed is that sometimes after braking, I will get a long beep, and the iBR indicator will light up on the display and not function. A quick restart of the machine cures this. Not sure what the cause may be, but I thought I would list it.

#23 · (Edited)
#25 ·
I hear the steering sound from time to time, but have had no issues with it.

Ive sucked up sticks and such in the river and have yet to break my wear ring. Ski lost power and I could tell something was stuck. I wasn't in a place I could inspect, So I bumped the throttle a few times and it cleared. This has happen twice.

#26 ·
There is a campaign on the access cover, my dealer replaced it with the new design for free.

BUT I seriously need some guidance on the "suspect wires" causing the 15A fuse to blow. This has happened to me twice now, and I would like to fix myself, and need to know which ones to tie up out of the way. Anyone who has knowledge of this please respond.

Thanks!

#29 ·
I was at the lake this weekend and still watch the kids (Who's daddy bought them a 14k ski) just run it right it right up into the shallows and right into land. When one got off, another kid would just turn it around jump on and fired it up, full throttle without checking anything.
My freind did it once because he forgot and sucked up some sand. We had to shake the ski to get it all out and the ski ran ok after that.

#30 ·
I think when you have children or should I say " people under 18 " privileged enough to operate a ski they should be taught what not to do and how to maintain it before they are even allowed to touch it. BRP thanks for chiming in. I don't have twitter, do you have a facebook help page? :)

#34 ·
#31 ·
Thought I'd mention as I believe I'm one of the few with the Sea Doo depth finders on my Sparks.

The glue that sticks the transponders to the inside of the hull doesn't adhere well, both came undone while riding and I got the "---" on the display. One of the transponders actually failed. This with about 3 hours on the clock.

Dealer is fixing though. They are getting a replacement transponder and using some sort of silicone to batten down the things inside the hull. I do like knowing how much water I have under the keel.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.