SeaDoo Spark Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've seen a lot of posts about people who have broken hulls. Are the hulls really that weak or are these guys really hard on them. I have seen no reports on other skis unless they really crashed into something which is understandable.. I am just trying to figure out if this is true or not about hull weakness..

·
Registered
16 Posts
The question is will a cracked hull be covered under warranty if it results from non-abuse ? i.e. not crashing into something solid but in fact using it to its full capability in waves. It should be designed for such use.

·
Registered
78 Posts
I've seen a lot of posts about people who have broken hulls. Are the hulls really that weak or are these guys really hard on them. I have seen no reports on other skis unless they really crashed into something which is understandable.. I am just trying to figure out if this is true or not about hull weakness..

"Hull weakness" implies that there's a design flaw such that all Spark hulls will fail. There have been many stories of cracked hulls from ramming the dock, hitting logs, even one last week from hitting a piece of rebar. That'll happen to a plastic hull whereas it might not have happened to a fiberglass hull. Don't equate those to mean that your hull will eventually crack. It's a strong design and will hold up as well as a fiberglass hull under some pretty extreme conditions.

There have also been reports of seams opening up in the plastic or areas that appeared to flex too much, and if you think those are totally bogus then you need to learn more about the injection molding process used to make these hulls. There are a lot of variables in plastic injection molding including the temp of the plastic, the temp of the mold, the amount and consistency of any additives to the plastic, the injection pressure, the speed at which the mold is cooled, the temp of the plastic when it is removed from the mold, and the method used for cooling the plastic to room temps. If any of these variables are out of spec it is possible that "cold flow lines" may form where the plastic begins to harden before it has filled the mold or where it hits a flow from another direction. It is also possible that the reinforcing fibers introduced into the plastic and which should randomly interconnect would (by random) align in such a way as to form a weak seam. The more major of these occurrences would be caught by the QC process but some could slip through.

As for the people who post once about a hull issue and never post again, I've had a private message from one such poster who was so derided for posting a negative comment about a Spark that he didn't feel comfortable posting again. If you go read some of the original postings about handlebars cracking and coming off you'll see that they were called fakes, BS, bogus, etc... up until SeaDoo issue the recall notice.

So YES it's a strong hull design,
YES if you ram stuff it'll crack,
YES there may be some manufacturing problems that occasionally get through, and
YES those one time posters probably did experience an issue with normal use.

I'll probably just get one of the plastic welding kits and not worry about it.

http://www.kenplas.com/service/imtroubleshooting.aspx

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.