SeaDoo Spark Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm interested in filing a complaint to BRP about the number of crankshaft failures that have been seen in the 2014-2015 Sparks (And early 2016 models).

If you have had the unfortunate experience of your crankshaft/PTO coupler stripping, I'd like to collect: Name(Forum name should be fine), Location, Purchase Date, Engine Hours and date of failure, and possibly Serial/Hull Number. Pictures of the failure if you have them as well.

This failure is a death sentence for these model years of Sparks, as the replacement crank (See attached Image) is $1,954.88. (taxes included, Not including shipping and labour and gaskets)
Without the guarantee that the coupler won't fail again shortly after replacement.

Attachments

·
Registered
4 Posts
I'm interested in filing a complaint to BRP about the number of crankshaft failures that have been seen in the 2014-2015 Sparks (And early 2016 models).

If you have had the unfortunate experience of your crankshaft/PTO coupler stripping, I'd like to collect: Name(Forum name should be fine), Location, Purchase Date, Engine Hours and date of failure, and possibly Serial/Hull Number. Pictures of the failure if you have them as well.

This failure is a death sentence for these model years of Sparks, as the replacement crank (See attached Image) is $1,954.88. (taxes included, Not including shipping and labour and gaskets)
Without the guarantee that the coupler won't fail again shortly after replacement.
In this video, the solution to this problem. The size information is in the description.

·
Administrator
75 Posts
I threw a rod through the block on my 2018 Trixx with 19 hours, lucky still had a warranty and the dealer handled it.

Jeff M

·
Registered
1 Posts

Yeah it happened to me filled up with water. 2014 spark 3up

I fixed the problem added a bilge pump and now I'm getting a check engine light but it fires up fine but says reading key across screen. Any ideas of what it could be there was no error before I took pto apart

·
Registered
5 Posts

I am ready to provide all the information you are asking to press charge to SeaDoo Spark dealer. I am having the same issue with mine Spark 2014, less than 100 hours. I was told the dealer will repair it for $3,155 all included.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Hey David how did you get on with this?
I spend 2k NZD ( like$1300usd) fixing a leaking pto in December only to have the splines fail in January. Now I'm facing a 5k repair bill to replace a part that I just spent 2k fixing in a 7k ski. The math ain't good. They are clearly are failing early due to poor design and costing owners way too much to repair due to... more poor design - something they clearly realised when they changed the design in 2016. There's no way a car manufacturer would get away with a fault like this on what is essentially near new vehicle. And a failing /sinking ski is def a safety issue too. Dunno what your consumer law is like in the states but Im currently pushing BRP to repair or replace under New Zealand consumer law which covers poor manufacturing. If that fails then my next step would be to do as you have suggested and rally the troups who are in the same boat (figuratively) and move it up a notch. Not good enough.
So I'm keen to be added to your database if still on the cards and/or keen to hear what progress if any you have managed to make.
Roly.

·
Registered
1 Posts
In this video, the solution to this problem. The size information is in the description.
I purchased a used spark last summer and the crank stripped in just a few hours. I called my local sea Doo dealer in OKCand he informed me they could fix it under a recall. I had to buy a few parts that were bad but the total labor and misc was only $250 and the total bill was $900 It runs like new and it has the upgraded drive configuration!

·
Registered
5 Posts

Yes, I am interested in joining this. Purchased my Spark 3up new in Aug. 2015 and have paid Beesley’s Point Sea Doo for yearly storage and maintenance since. Began having issues summer of 2019. First thing was the wear ring, the following week the pump had to be replaced. First ride out after that the machine was detuning down to 7400 rpm and 47mph with a beep coming from the display, but no code. This was the end of the season, the Tech said he would look into it. The ski has 60 hours on it. Here we are May 23, 2020 and I call the dealership to see how it is. They inform me the splines are stripped on the crankshaft and replacing it would cost more then the ski is worth ($3,800). So after 8 months of nothing from the dealership, this is what I get. I’ve already sent an email to BRP expressing my disgust with their product and their dealership. I have not been down to the dealership to see the ski yet since I only received this news today and am expecting more info from the dealership.

Yes, I am interested in joining this action. I purchased a Spark 3 up new from Beesley’s Point Sea Doo in NJ in Aug. 2015. I have kept the ski there under a yearly storage and maintenance agreement since. They do all the services on it. Aug 2019 the wear ring had to be replaced, the following outing it was still slipping. They said it needed a new pump ($1,300). The first outing after that the ski detuned to 7400 rpm and 47 mph with a single beep from the display but no code. This was Sept. 2019, so it was done for the season. Today is May 23, 2020 and I call the dealership to see how it is and if the problem was resolved. They gave me a “sorry I didn’t call you, but the cost of repair is more then it’s worth” excuse for it informing me for 8 months that the crank splines are stripped and will cost $3,800. The ski has 60 hours on it and the first year out of warranty I’ve spent $1,500 on repairs and it’s still not working properly. The dealership has always performed the required services when due and I haven’t had any issues with the ski prior to Aug 2019. I’ve already emailed BRP expressing my disgust with the quality of their product, but also their dealership.

·
Registered
3 Posts
New 2014 Spark Owner here - I suspect I’m in the same situation - my ski is leaking with no bull damage and it appears to be coming from the drive shaft housing. I imagine it’s only a matter of time before the drive shaft is worn down and gives

·
Registered
5 Posts
Hi Kevin,
I installed a bilge pump on mine and I will use it like that until it falls apart. Then after that I will buy a new jetski but never a spark, I will stay away from that.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I purchased a used spark last summer and the crank stripped in just a few hours. I called my local sea Doo dealer in OKCand he informed me they could fix it under a recall. I had to buy a few parts that were bad but the total labor and misc was only $250 and the total bill was $900 It runs like new and it has the upgraded drive configuration!
What are the details on this? I called my local dealer and they didn't seem to have any helpful info. Basically told me I was SOL because the cost of repair makes it impractical. Thing is, mine has many upgrades that of course cost a bit and also made it more fun than it already was.

Yes, I am interested in joining this. Purchased my Spark 3up new in Aug. 2015 and have paid Beesley’s Point Sea Doo for yearly storage and maintenance since.
That's my local dealer too!

·
Administrator
75 Posts
Would this cause me to throw a rod at WOT?

I did and cracked a block at 18 hours on 2018 2 up Trixx and the dealer warranties a new long block last fall.

Jeff M

·
Registered
5 Posts
Would this cause me to throw a rod at WOT?
From what I've gathered through my research of this issue, it pertains to 2014 to early 2016 (March) models. They did a redesign after that and added a PTO coupling between the shaft and crank, which other skis typically have anyway, so it was dumb they didn't on these originally.
Could the splines still strip out? Probably, but I don't know if it afflicts post 2016 models. And it wouldn't be as serious of an issue to fix.
Would it then cause a thrown rod? Not sure, but before that, you would have experienced a total loss of thrust, most likely. And probably grinding/rattling/whining prior to the loss.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Add me to the list. 2016 Sea Doo Spark with IBR.....90ish hours ....new to me purchased in December.....first time putting it in the water and wouldn’t move, replaced wear ring and new Solas impeller....put back in water nothing. Brought to dealer...one week later an estimate based on the “bulletin” mentioned on this thread to the tune of $3800+🤮

1 - 20 of 34 Posts