SeaDoo Spark Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, so i lost the key for my Spark and was surprised at how much a new one costs.

I'm from the UK and I couldn't find an official Sea-Doo key for less than £60. I read about an alternative replacement suggested on here (universal jet logic lanyard) which apparently fits Sea-Doo models. So i ordered one and i can tell you it doesn't fit on the Spark!

Still not wanting to fork out for the real deal i decided to make one, which works a treat. Here's what i did:

I used ThermoMorph (a moldable plastic) which i already had - you can get 250g for about £5, and of course a magnet. I didn't want to use one that was too strong in case i damaged the magnetic switch, so i tried it out with a piece of fridge magnet (not that thin flexible stuff). It worked fine and would start if i held it 1-2 cm away from the 'sphere' where the key clips on.

I put some foil around the sphere to protect it and so the plastic didn't adhere to it, put a small blob on top and then the magnet. I then used some more plastic to encase the magnet and molded the rest around the sphere. Once it dried i popped it off and drilled a hole through the top to link it to a kill cord. I tested it out and it worked really well - to be on the safe side I made 2 more to carry on me when with the Spark.

It did take a bit of care to make this. The plastic shouldn't be molded around the base of the sphere or it won't come off - I stopped just past the widest part so it clipped on but also pops off easily. I made a cut in the plastic so it flexes more. It doesn't exactly look good but it works. I've been out on the briny with it and didn't have any issues.

Anyway, i thought i'd share this for anyone wanting to make their own key. If you do make one, be 100% sure that it works before using it.

Cheers

Attachments

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I had the same concern initially, but i tested that it came off easily, falling off in all directions - it functions just like the Sea-Doo key. I will eventually get the real thing, but this will serve it's purpose in the meantime. I made it as temporary fix as i wanted to get back on the water asap, but as it works fine i'm in no rush to buy a new one.

·
Registered
ALL 2015 - 2022 MODELS WITH RF DESS KEY
2 Posts
You can 3d print a housing and snap a magnet on to it if your machine doesn't have DESS, but this looks like it works great too!

If it does have DESS, you'll either need to extract the chip from an existing key, or know a guy who can duplicate the data from the key and program it on to a custom wireless chip :)

1 - 4 of 4 Posts