SeaDoo Spark Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, so i lost the key for my Spark and was surprised at how much a new one costs.

I'm from the UK and I couldn't find an official Sea-Doo key for less than £60. I read about an alternative replacement suggested on here (universal jet logic lanyard) which apparently fits Sea-Doo models. So i ordered one and i can tell you it doesn't fit on the Spark!

Still not wanting to fork out for the real deal i decided to make one, which works a treat. Here's what i did:

I used ThermoMorph (a moldable plastic) which i already had - you can get 250g for about £5, and of course a magnet. I didn't want to use one that was too strong in case i damaged the magnetic switch, so i tried it out with a piece of fridge magnet (not that thin flexible stuff). It worked fine and would start if i held it 1-2 cm away from the 'sphere' where the key clips on.

I put some foil around the sphere to protect it and so the plastic didn't adhere to it, put a small blob on top and then the magnet. I then used some more plastic to encase the magnet and molded the rest around the sphere. Once it dried i popped it off and drilled a hole through the top to link it to a kill cord. I tested it out and it worked really well - to be on the safe side I made 2 more to carry on me when with the Spark.

It did take a bit of care to make this. The plastic shouldn't be molded around the base of the sphere or it won't come off - I stopped just past the widest part so it clipped on but also pops off easily. I made a cut in the plastic so it flexes more. It doesn't exactly look good but it works. I've been out on the briny with it and didn't have any issues.

Anyway, i thought i'd share this for anyone wanting to make their own key. If you do make one, be 100% sure that it works before using it.

Cheers

Attachments

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I had the same concern initially, but i tested that it came off easily, falling off in all directions - it functions just like the Sea-Doo key. I will eventually get the real thing, but this will serve it's purpose in the meantime. I made it as temporary fix as i wanted to get back on the water asap, but as it works fine i'm in no rush to buy a new one.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts