SeaDoo Spark Forum banner

Drive shaft

15K views 10 replies 7 participants last post by  NHSpark 
#1 ·
has anyone else had problems with the drive shaft eating the impeller connection. Where my drive shaft connectts to the impeller houseing they have ate each other up. So they no longer spin one another. As i've posted before i have 4 sea doo sparks 2 2up ho models and 2 3up ho models. All my ski's have between 75-110 hours on them. This is the 1st issue we have came across that is internal or we are trying to get covered under the warranty.

We were out on the lake last friday and the ski was vibratting kind of funny and making a strange noise and would pick up speed. So i thought well we must of busted a wear ring. We have done that a few times this year.. LOL.... so we pull it to shore take the impeller housing off and the end of the shaft was all ate up. You could touch it and have metal shavings all over your hand. We took it back to seadoo dealer and are waiting for them to file a report with BRP.. I checked the other 3 sparks and they are not having this issue. Not sure what caused it. Just hope BRP covers it and i can get my 4th ski back sooner than later...

Just figured i post sine my ski's tend to have more hours than most on the board. My kids and cousins are always on these things.

#3 ·
I hope so. Only problem now is that i'm sure with it being almost july it will take dealer forever to get BRP to write off on it and get it fixed.. We bought 4 ski's so both my kids and my wife and i can all ride at once.. now wife rides with me and she doesn't like to go fast or jump waves...

#4 ·
I started a thread about a week ago titled "Breakdown - Engine Starts no propulsion" that may be related. My issue was a high pitched spinning sound, no propulsion. Just got it back from the dealer (9 days down). Here is what they said (mind you, I'm not a technician, just transcribing what I recall they said):

They first thought new shaft, replace the coupling, only to find out that the spark Engine Shaft to drive shaft does not have a coupling. Therefore, had to replace the Motor shaft, meaning take the entire motor apart. In doing so, discovered that the Engine was mounted at a visible angle to the propeller shaft, which clearly caused the stripping of the splines in one of the shafts. They had to take the engine out, and re-align and remount it once the new parts came in. They told me it took them 18 hours (and that BRP only allows them 7.5 to replace the shaft). Job was a lot bigger, and took a lot more parts than they imagined.

This is the first engine mounting issue they have seen, and hope its the last.

#6 ·
I started a thread about a week ago titled "Breakdown - Engine Starts no propulsion" that may be related. My issue was a high pitched spinning sound, no propulsion. Just got it back from the dealer (9 days down). Here is what they said (mind you, I'm not a technician, just transcribing what I recall they said):

They first thought new shaft, replace the coupling, only to find out that the spark Engine Shaft to drive shaft does not have a coupling. Therefore, had to replace the Motor shaft, meaning take the entire motor apart. In doing so, discovered that the Engine was mounted at a visible angle to the propeller shaft, which clearly caused the stripping of the splines in one of the shafts. They had to take the engine out, and re-align and remount it once the new parts came in. They told me it took them 18 hours (and that BRP only allows them 7.5 to replace the shaft). Job was a lot bigger, and took a lot more parts than they imagined.

This is the first engine mounting issue they have seen, and hope its the last.

Do you think they actually did that or were they just making it sound like they did allot since they had it for 9 day's?

#7 ·
Mike i guess we are jumping threads. I just noticed yours but it sounds like we are having the same issue. BRP told my dealer this is not something covered under the warranty. Can you private message me your case number so i can reference it to my dealer or BRP. Or you can call me directly 214-289-3702

#8 ·
Looking at the part diagram the crankshaft seems to have the pto splined adapter pressed onto it. If it stripped instead of the driveshaft then you would need to replace the crank shaft. Which would be a full teardown. The crank alone is $1200. One would think they would make the driveshaft of a bit less hardness so as to just destroy the splines of the easily replaceable shaft instead of the pto.

#10 ·
after speaking with BRP and referencing a few other cases where this has happened and it was covered. THey are now going to cover mine. They have not determinded if the engine is out of alignment. I checked with the dealer today and tehy still haven't got work from BRP that it's covered so they can start ordering parts. I believe it was 7/2 around 5 or 6pm when i received word from BRP in a email. I offered to send the email to the dealer but they said they have to get it directly from BRP.

#11 ·
The reason they are stalling to fix it is because BRP is rushing to redesign the driveshaft. So think about this, the Spark driveshaft is cheap and prone to fail, so BRP will redesign and replace those that fail under warranty - BUT if yours lasts more than a year and then goes out you are screwed after warranty :( - BRP do the right thing and recall!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.