SeaDoo Spark Forum banner

1 - 20 of 95 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I would like to start this post to share with other owners and prospective buyers the major problem I and others have had with brand new SeaDoo Sparks and the actions of BRP to address it. I welcome any comments, especially from BRP addressing it. I am not alone, search forums and google it for yourself.

So here is what happened:

We purchased a 2-up 90 HP in May 2014 from a dealership on a huge lake in NH. We got it on the water on 10 June 2014. On 28 June 2014, with 13 hours on the Spark, it lost thrust while going 30 mph and the engine just revved. It idled fine, but with any throttle it just emitted a high pitched whining noise (shaft spinning noise), and no propulsion. So I brought it to the dealer the next monday, 30 July 2014.

The Dealer calls later that day and says: The spline where the driveshaft and imeller shaft meet is shredded. To replace it they must disassemble the engine and half of the Spark, order a bunch of new parts and tons of labor for $8,000! - Holy Crap!!! - But it's under warranty, it's just that BRP hasn't hasn't authorized us (the dealer) to start repair and when they do we will have to wait for parts.

The dealer recommended I contact BRP Customer service to complain and speed up process.

So we called BRP Customer Service that day – Reply: We are sorry for the inconvenience, but oh well. - Requested to speak to Supervisor – Ok, someone will call you back tomorrow – No one called back from BRP.

1 July, 2014:

Dealer called – Sorry BRP still hasn't authorized a repair.

Called BRP again - We are sorry for the inconvenience, we will attempt to get you back on water soon and here is a claim # for you. - Requested to speak to Supervisor again – Ok, someone will call you back tomorrow.

2 July -7 July 2014

Called BRP daily after no returned calls. Same story.

7 July, 2014:

Dealer calls – BRP has verbally authorized repair, but they need at least 5-10 business days to engineer a new part and determine a cheaper method to repair. The Dealer told me his dealership had sold 30 sparks so far, 2 have come back already for this problem (a few weeks into NH's short riding season).

Called BRP – We are sorry for the inconvenience, your claim has been elevated to the Senior Customer Service Rep and they will contact you by tomorrow.

Emailed Steve the “After-Sales Social Media & Tech Support Team Lead at BRP” on the GreenHulk forum, explaining my situation and asking for assisstance. He replied: We are sorry for the inconvenience, I will investigate your claim and see if I can help resolve it.

8 Jul7, 2014:

Called BRP – Wife spoke to customer service, asked again to speak with someone who could answer questions. BRP stated your claim has been elevated to the “Third Tier” Senior Customer Service Rep and they will contact you by tomorrow.

9 July, 2014

Steve from BRP called, I looked into your claim and it has been elevated to the Senior Customer Service Rep and they will contact you soon. - Thanks Steve, I heard that a few times already:)

Dealer Called – We are still waiting on BRP!

Now Waiting....

So here I am, sharing my story. I will update as it unfolds. (Of course it unfolds in the middle of riding season)

I have researched online and this is happening to others, some I have chatted with and they are going through the exact same things with BRP. I am not trying to bad mouth SeaDoo, I understand problems can happen but I do believe a company should stand behind what they build and sell to us.

And think about this, the Spark driveshaft appears to be cheap and prone to fail, so BRP will redesign and replace those that fail under warranty - BUT if your driveshaft lasts more than a year and then goes out you are screwed after warranty :( - Maybe a recall or extended warranty should be called for here.

·
Registered
437 Posts
Sounds like they are just passing around the bomb. I would try to get in touch with BRP through facebook since they have a specific department that is dealing with issue inquiries. BRP even has an account on this forum.

·
Registered
437 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Update:

So SeaDoo Senior Customer Service Rep calls my wife today and states that the part to repair it will not be ready to ship until the 18 or 21st of July, because it is still being remanufactured!!!

When asked if SeaDoo plans to make a recall he said condescendingly: "I cannot comment on that... but you can read between the lines" ????

·
Registered
916 Posts
I heard about a drive shaft issue from someone else too. Geeze $8,000 repair if it wasn't under warranty? thats more than a new Spark. If this happens to me after warranty is up I'll do what I have to do fix it myself LOL!

This has to be so frustrating for you. I'm sorry. Good luck. Keep us posted.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Why can't you have it replaced with a brand new one? Is it against their policy? I would been mighty pissed...

·
Registered
916 Posts
NHspark when you say re-manufactured do you mean they are refurbishing the broken part or remaking the whole part again ( it will be brand new ) Maybe they don't have any new ones in stock because due to these issues with it breaking on people they are remaking the design. Lets hope so and lets hope they do a recall. It would be nice to have a recall on things that are giving people issues at the same exact time my Spark is at the dealership for its first servicing :)

I had a new 2005 hyundai accent and the transmission died at about 200 miles and they replaced it under warranty with a refurbished part. I was heated. They said if it broke again it would not be covered again. I'll never buy another Hyundai.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Bought Spark April 2014; August 2014 Drive shaft slips out of mounts and ruins splines (12 hours on Spark). Spark returns from dealer Oct 2014 (I told them it took so long to just winterize it). Take Spark out June 2015 and at 24 hours, drive shaft slips and fails again. Take to dealer, they repair, I take it out again and it fails again within one hour (now at 25 hours). So, 3 drive shaft failures in less than 25 hours on the Spark. Back at dealer, he can't figure it out. Must be one of those the factory mounted the engine incorrectly? I have the 3 year BRP extra warranty, but I wonder if a replacement Spark is in order?

·
Registered
259 Posts
Bought Spark April 2014; August 2014 Drive shaft slips out of mounts and ruins splines (12 hours on Spark). Spark returns from dealer Oct 2014 (I told them it took so long to just winterize it). Take Spark out June 2015 and at 24 hours, drive shaft slips and fails again. Take to dealer, they repair, I take it out again and it fails again within one hour (now at 25 hours). So, 3 drive shaft failures in less than 25 hours on the Spark. Back at dealer, he can't figure it out. Must be one of those the factory mounted the engine incorrectly? I have the 3 year BRP extra warranty, but I wonder if a replacement Spark is in order?
Ouch - that really sucks!
Sounds like some kind of misalignment but I've only got experience with that on older two stroke skis.

·
Registered
165 Posts
I wonder if the Lemon Law applies to all vehicles, not just cars

·
Registered
118 Posts
Gee, I'd love to know the end of the story for NHspark! A driveshaft!

And layers and layers of customer service and management means $$$ that could possibly have been diverted to engineering, testing and quality control.

Well, lets think positively, I hope they fixed it and that NHspark is enjoying the Spark. It would be interesting to see just how reliable the Sparks really are. Consumer Reports doesn't test or track personal water craft.

I hope things work out for NHspark and anyone else who was effected.

·
Registered
7 Posts
BRP said they have sent a 'new alignment jig' to my dealer. They must be having a lot of other aggravated customers with malaligned drive shafts besides me. I asked for a new Spark, but BRP balked. Still without my Spark (in shop 1/3 of first summer and now 1/3 of second summer). Below is the history.

11 April 2014 unit purchase

14 August 2014 (12 hours) unit fails requiring drive shaft.
8 October 2014 unit returned to me by dealer

18 June 2015 unit fails again (24 hours). Drive shaft replaced again.
1 July 2015 unit returned to me by dealer

1 July 2015 drive shaft fails again (still at 24-25 hours). Service manager at dealership drives to my home and picks up unit 2 July 2015. Says drive shaft has failed again.

7 July I called BRP to request a new unit due to faulty construction/installation when purchased. Spark still in shop with malaligned drive shaft. BRP won't replace the Spark.

·
Registered
131 Posts
BRP said they have sent a 'new alignment jig' to my dealer. They must be having a lot of other aggravated customers with malaligned drive shafts besides me. I asked for a new Spark, but BRP balked. Still without my Spark (in shop 1/3 of first summer and now 1/3 of second summer). Below is the history.

11 April 2014 unit purchase

14 August 2014 (12 hours) unit fails requiring drive shaft.
8 October 2014 unit returned to me by dealer

18 June 2015 unit fails again (24 hours). Drive shaft replaced again.
1 July 2015 unit returned to me by dealer

1 July 2015 drive shaft fails again (still at 24-25 hours). Service manager at dealership drives to my home and picks up unit 2 July 2015. Says drive shaft has failed again.

7 July I called BRP to request a new unit due to faulty construction/installation when purchased. Spark still in shop with malaligned drive shaft. BRP won't replace the Spark.

Wow that's terrible. All they will do is keep attempting to replace broken parts. Sucks being without a ski for so long

1 - 20 of 95 Posts