SeaDoo Spark Forum banner

41 - 60 of 98 Posts

·
Registered
274 Posts
When dealer placed the 4th drive shaft in my Spark (25 hours), BRP overnighted a 'new' alignment jig for dealer to use. The 4th drive shaft failed again at 29hours. The splines were chewed up; I don't know about the grease issue mentioned previously on the forum. I was told by BRP that the 2015 Sparks have an 'upgraded' drive shaft (I would think they upgraded the drive shaft because the 2014's kept failing). Ultimately, BRP offered to help me purchase a 2015 Spark, but the dealer wouldn't take my 2014 in on trade because he said 'I can't sell this thing to anyone else'. Ultimately, I ended up with a replacement 2015 Spark. I'm happier, but I still ended up with my Spark in the shop the majority of the first 2 summers I owned it. Fingers crossed on the 2015 model........
The driveshaft was not updated on 2014 units, the same driveshaft is going back in a 2014 as what came out of it, the 2015 models use a different part number because they changed the driveshaft boot and the driveshaft bellows to ease installation, the driveshaft has a wider clamping area for the boot to clamp onto, so for your driveshaft to keep stripping is because it was either still out of alignment, or they didn't install it properly or they didn't replace the crankshaft when they did the repair. Its good that you got into another machine to start over on but its too bad you had the experience you had, no one should have to put up with that, things like this happen but for it to continue to happen repeatedly is unfortunate.

·
Registered
516 Posts
Idiotic comment! If no-one bought first year products, there would be no 2nd year products.

He's not saying not to buy first year product. Just that's the risk of buying a first year product. Being an automotive mechanic in a dealer I agree. That is the risk of buying a first year product. They are going to have glitches.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
58 Posts
Idiotic comment! If no-one bought first year products, there would be no 2nd year products.
I think your post shows your IQ... I don't think you are in a position to be calling comments idiotic when you have no clue what your talking about (or what I am talking about for that matter)...

·
Registered
133 Posts
I think your post shows your IQ... I don't think you are in a position to be calling comments idiotic when you have no clue what your talking about (or what I am talking about for that matter)...
You are right! I think I was crabby when I wrote that original post. My apologies.

I actually agree with you. I bought 2 Sparks last year knowing that I was buying untested machines. There have been some problems but overall I am happy with them. I'm not normally an early adopter but I am glad I was with the Sparks.

·
Registered
131 Posts
You are right! I think I was crabby when I wrote that original post. My apologies.

I actually agree with you. I bought 2 Sparks last year knowing that I was buying untested machines. There have been some problems but overall I am happy with them. I'm not normally an early adopter but I am glad I was with the Sparks.
But didn't they claim it took something like 8 years to develop the spark?! Ha....

I agree as well, first year runs sometimes have glitches. My ski has seen the dealer 4-5 times this summer... Whenever I'm riding it I forget about that though, apart from the issues I've had its a very fun ski.

Friends shaft just went recently, and just out of warranty. He's waiting till next year to decide what he will do. I feel for him.

·
Registered
133 Posts
But didn't they claim it took something like 8 years to develop the spark?! Ha....

I agree as well, first year runs sometimes have glitches. My ski has seen the dealer 4-5 times this summer... Whenever I'm riding it I forget about that though, apart from the issues I've had its a very fun ski.

Friends shaft just went recently, and just out of warranty. He's waiting till next year to decide what he will do. I feel for him.
Tell him to call BRP. It is my understanding that this is now a 'bulletin'. That is not a recall but an admission that there is an issue.

·
Registered
516 Posts
Bulletins don't mean they are going to pay for anything. They are only there to aid diagnosis for the tech working on it. But it can't hurt to call.

·
Registered
274 Posts
Tell him to call BRP. It is my understanding that this is now a 'bulletin'. That is not a recall but an admission that there is an issue.
Your friend needs to get it in to a dealer and contact Brp, don't wait...there is a bulletin on the unit for drive shaft failures but it is not necessarily an admission of an issue, the bulletin talks about what to look for with a drive shaft failure, there is a few different reasons that can cause the same kind of failure, and as I have mentioned before if the drive shaft splines are stripped and only the driveshaft is replaced then it will fail again it is just a question of time....if splines are stripped and worn on one side the other side will look the same...

·
Registered
131 Posts
Your friend needs to get it in to a dealer and contact Brp, don't wait...there is a bulletin on the unit for drive shaft failures but it is not necessarily an admission of an issue, the bulletin talks about what to look for with a drive shaft failure, there is a few different reasons that can cause the same kind of failure, and as I have mentioned before if the drive shaft splines are stripped and only the driveshaft is replaced then it will fail again it is just a question of time....if splines are stripped and worn on one side the other side will look the same...

Out of warranty, they told him it wouldn't be covered.

·
Registered
131 Posts
then he needs to contact Brp himself...

Yes he did, not willing to do anything. Its out of warranty.

Brp are snakes, they have lied to me over the phone and completely changed positions on what was previously said. I'll never purchase another brp product.

·
Registered
516 Posts
Do they have to cover something out of warranty ?

Sent from my SGH-I337M using Tapatalk

That's what I don't understand about some of these complaints. Warranties have expiration dates, they have no obligation to repair failures outside the expiry date.

·
Registered
274 Posts
Yes he did, not willing to do anything. Its out of warranty.

Brp are snakes, they have lied to me over the phone and completely changed positions on what was previously said. I'll never purchase another brp product.
Sorry, but I just can't believe that to be true, there must be more to the story...was your friend diplomatic about it with Brp? or was he basically screaming at them telling them they better fix his machine or else...because if that was the case he would get no where with having them fix it, he needs to contact them again and talk through it with them calmly and tell them that he is disappointed in the reliability with the craft and that he really likes it otherwise but wasn't expecting a repair this major on a new unit...remember you catch more flies with honey than with vinegar. It has more to do with how you approach a situation than the situation itself

·
Registered
274 Posts
That's what I don't understand about some of these complaints. Warranties have expiration dates, they have no obligation to repair failures outside the expiry date.

I agree, warranty expiration dates should mean warranty is over after the end date, but sometimes things happen that are unexpected and some failures can be pretty major, we shouldn't expect things to be covered when a unit fails past a warranty end date but when it is a major failure and it is clearly a manufacturing defect it is nice when the manufacturer helps out, we all have the opportunity to purchase new units every year or even buy extended warranty, in the case of the driveshaft failures there is a maintenance interval where the shaft is to be inspected and re-greased after 200 hours or every two years which ever comes first but for the shaft to fail in the first year or year and half with under 200 hours is a premature failure and that would be the reason Brp would help out in those situations.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Sorry, but I just can't believe that to be true, there must be more to the story...was your friend diplomatic about it with Brp? or was he basically screaming at them telling them they better fix his machine or else...because if that was the case he would get no where with having them fix it, he needs to contact them again and talk through it with them calmly and tell them that he is disappointed in the reliability with the craft and that he really likes it otherwise but wasn't expecting a repair this major on a new unit...remember you catch more flies with honey than with vinegar. It has more to do with how you approach a situation than the situation itself
Agreed! With patience I think you will find BRP to be an agreeable company. That has been my experience.

·
Registered
27 Posts
All of you guys talking about the driveshaft failures... are they failing totally and breaking or is it a vibrating, noisy sloppy sound? My 2015 when on the trailer sounded really clanky the first time i stared it for 5 seconds out of the water with zero hours on it. It now has 27hrs and seems to be noisier mostly at idle in the water, i was around a bunch of other Sea Doos yesterday, mostly all RXPs, RTXs etc and everyones were quieter at idle than mine, even other brands.

When i cleaned it out last night, i started it up on the trailer for a few seconds and it was noiser, almost like metal banging around , nothing smooth sounding about it, the noise went away almost fully at 4000rpms but back any higher or lower or at idle.. like a turbo with a totally failed bearing..

It was just at the dealer at 23 hours for a harness replacement, died in the water a few weeks back and they replaced it, throttle body was clicking, had to have it towed back in, wouldn't restart.

·
Registered
516 Posts
They always sound like that out of the water. However the noise inside the water I can't say without hearing it. As far as I know that issue was only affecting the 2014's

·
Registered
5 Posts
Hi from Poland. I have the same problem. First driveshaft has broken, when the ski was 32 mth. After replaced a parts it is broken again (48mth). I don't want this spark back again and my plan is to fight for my right and get full refund.

41 - 60 of 98 Posts