SeaDoo Spark Forum banner

81 - 96 of 96 Posts

·
Registered
274 Posts
My shaft barely has a half an inch of movement and it's only from slop in the splines but I checked it when it was brand new. My wife's is a 2014 and I noticed it had more, I just assumed it was wear. My shaft at the engine is straight as an arrow. The splines by the impeller have a bit of a ball. The engine might be on rubber mounts but they are placed so the engine rotates in place, it doesn't rock back and forth, that's why the alignment jig is so important.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
for some reason I can't upload pics or videos on here...I have done it before but three computers later it still won't take them, likely something I am doing wrong...anyways, shaft movement (up and down, side to side) when installed in the pto end with pump removed all have it, they all have the same ball end I am talking about for the same reason, the engine does move, not back and forth but up and down, yes the alignment jig is important to set everything to center but the engine still moves somewhat, your shaft at the engine end is straight but not where the splines are, if you lay a straight edge down the length of the spline it only touches the straight edge in the middle, the front and rear part of the spline on the shaft is curved away from the straight edge, its not just mine that are that way I have had lots of them apart (sparks, gtx's,xp's,rx's,gti's,etc,etc),and they are all the same. maybe if yours is straight it is because it is stripped out but they should have a curve or ball at the spline area, like I said in my previous post the ball on the pump end isn't as pronounced as the front end.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hey guys, I think I may have a similar problem on my 2015 Sea-Doo spark HO with less than 20 hours on it. I bought it six weeks ago with the extended warranty promotion that they were offering, but they won't reattach the impeller onto the pump assembly because I haven't brought the whole ski to them. The boat ramp is 5 miles from my home/ski so getting somebody to tow the broken ski to the boat ramp, loading it onto a trailer and then trailering it to the shop will cost a couple hundred bucks. They don't want to pay for the towing and they don't want to do any service without the ski so either I eat the towing cost or I talk to a lawyer. I'm ready to do the latter, especially since it sounds like this is a common problem that they should really have fixed by now? I have already filed a complaint at the Better Business Bureau, a complaint on the bpr the website, called bpr, and talked to about five or six other people at service centers with no reasonable response.

·
Registered
516 Posts
I can see them wanting the machine. Because they have no way of identifying that part is from your machine. If someone had a failed part on a machine that is out of warranty they could just give the part to someone that had one with warranty to bring it in. As far as the towing that's a different story. I know from being a car mechanic our warranties always cover towing but the boat world is a different story.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2 Posts
That is a good point Cormacs. I hadn't thought about that scenario of somebody with a warranty bringing a part from somebody else. However the serial number was plainly stamped on the pump assembly, so they should be able to look that up in their database pretty easily to confirm that it is mine I think? thanks for the response!

·
Registered
274 Posts
That is a good point Cormacs. I hadn't thought about that scenario of somebody with a warranty bringing a part from somebody else. However the serial number was plainly stamped on the pump assembly, so they should be able to look that up in their database pretty easily to confirm that it is mine I think? thanks for the response!
I have never seen a vehicle serial number on anything other than the hull on any seadoo, you may have seen a part number and there will be production codes/dates on the pump etc. but they won't be able to tell by those numbers what machine it came off of, warranty starts at the door, you are responsible for getting it to the shop, don't waste your money on lawyers...

·
Registered
14 Posts
Hey guys, I think I may have a similar problem on my 2015 Sea-Doo spark HO with less than 20 hours on it. I bought it six weeks ago with the extended warranty promotion that they were offering, but they won't reattach the impeller onto the pump assembly because I haven't brought the whole ski to them. The boat ramp is 5 miles from my home/ski so getting somebody to tow the broken ski to the boat ramp, loading it onto a trailer and then trailering it to the shop will cost a couple hundred bucks. They don't want to pay for the towing and they don't want to do any service without the ski so either I eat the towing cost or I talk to a lawyer. I'm ready to do the latter, especially since it sounds like this is a common problem that they should really have fixed by now? I have already filed a complaint at the Better Business Bureau, a complaint on the bpr the website, called bpr, and talked to about five or six other people at service centers with no reasonable response.
Just find a friend with another ski, have him tow you or eat the cost of the tow. Getting a lawyer involved will just create issues down the road should you have further warranty issues.

·
Registered
1 Posts
2017 Model both drive shaft failed at less than 4 hours

I have a 2up and a 3up sea doo spark. I took them out to the lake yesterday with around 3.4 hours total on them. My 3 up lost thrust while trying to go and engine would only rev. Put both skis back on the trailer brought them home. Hooked up the water line started the 3 up ski and it shot pieces of plastic out the jet. I have a big hole and the drive shaft props are damaged. When you give it gas there is a lot of whining and shaft spinning noise.

·
Registered
379 Posts
had the same problems trying to up load a photo from computer doesn't work have tried to log a message to admin to fix no reply so I guess no one there

But upload from phone works go figure

·
Registered
1 Posts
Guys I bought a 2015 Sea doo Spark at insurance auction and just received it . Auction description claimed that damage was collision but I could see no major damages . Just scratches and minor digs so I told myself that this was possibly a error and it was a repo because you see them from time to time.

Anyways Jetski came . It’s doing 156hours. It’s a Spark 3UP 900 HO . Turned it on and engine check light came on reading “high exhaust temp” with a low beeping sound. I contacted Broward Motorsports here in FL and they said that was possibly because I started it out of water without water hose hooked up. I felt relieved.

I took it out on the water on Friday to test it out for the first time. Started it up and it didn’t move an inch . Reved fine but would no go anywhere and then highexhaust temp came up and beeped off again. That’s when I realized I was f*cked.

Took off the top deck yesterday and check the resistance on the exhaust temp sensor and it read 1900 or so and I believe it’s supposed to be around 2200 so I’m assuming I need to change the sensor. Now time to move on to the second problem , I pulled off the pump to check the wear ring and it was fine but while I was pulling it out the shaft came right out with it . Turns out the splines end of the shaft that goes into to the engine was worn down smooth. So picture the splines on that end is about 1inch long , 50% of it was eaten out completely and the other half of it was fine . Rubber boot (protector sleeve) was broken as well. Wish I could post a pic but I have no idea on how to do so.
So I have to replace the shaft and hopefully it’s just the exhaust sensor .
I’ve never done something like this before but I’m going to attempt it myself because of ridiculous dealer prices . Can anyone assist me on what I have to do when I receive the new shaft ? Do I just put the new protector sleeve , grease it up and stick it in there ?

·
Registered
1 Posts
The tale of the stripped shaft continues

Hi guys just wanted to share that even my 2018 trixx 3UP Just stripped the drive shaft at 28 Hrs. took it to the dealer and had it fixed in a week (which was nice) I was told they used the "Updated parts" and was repaired according to the service bulletin. meaning they re-aligned the motor and made sure there was not too much grease. took the ski out twice and on the second trip I was cruising along and the ski wouldn't do more than 40 mph wide open and I couldn't keep up with my buddy also on a spark. he stopped to wait and when we both went to take off again the dreaded sound of the stripped shaft was back at only 35 hrs!

here's where it got interesting If this has happened to you you know the ski will still move at idle and only slips when you hit the throttle. I had my buddy hook a rope to his ski then fished the loose end of the rope through my front eyelet then I held the end of the rope. he pulled me just fast enough to get the ski to plane off and then I steered off to the side and let go of the rope and gave it some throttle (Practically bump starting a jet ski lmao) and the ski drove as if there was nothing wrong. Basically, the shaft couldn't handle the torque of starting from a stop but once cruising it was fine. anyway, I then proceeded to ride 5 miles back to the boat ramp at 40 mph and possibly bypassing a few no-wake zones. im dropping the ski back off to the dealer today. I'm happy I bought the extended warranty Ill take the thing back every month for 4 years if I have to. Im just not super thrilled about getting almost stranded in the ocean twice.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Hi guys just wanted to share that even my 2018 trixx 3UP Just stripped the drive shaft at 28 Hrs. took it to the dealer and had it fixed in a week (which was nice) I was told they used the "Updated parts" and was repaired according to the service bulletin. meaning they re-aligned the motor and made sure there was not too much grease. took the ski out twice and on the second trip I was cruising along and the ski wouldn't do more than 40 mph wide open and I couldn't keep up with my buddy also on a spark. he stopped to wait and when we both went to take off again the dreaded sound of the stripped shaft was back at only 35 hrs!

here's where it got interesting If this has happened to you you know the ski will still move at idle and only slips when you hit the throttle. I had my buddy hook a rope to his ski then fished the loose end of the rope through my front eyelet then I held the end of the rope. he pulled me just fast enough to get the ski to plane off and then I steered off to the side and let go of the rope and gave it some throttle (Practically bump starting a jet ski lmao) and the ski drove as if there was nothing wrong. Basically, the shaft couldn't handle the torque of starting from a stop but once cruising it was fine. anyway, I then proceeded to ride 5 miles back to the boat ramp at 40 mph and possibly bypassing a few no-wake zones. im dropping the ski back off to the dealer today. I'm happy I bought the extended warranty Ill take the thing back every month for 4 years if I have to. Im just not super thrilled about getting almost stranded in the ocean twice.

Dealers seem to really struggle with this problem. It has to be they dont align the engine properly and probably dont bother with any torque settings.

I know how you feel just broke down a second time in 5 hours after a 2 dealer visits. Great to have the extended warranty but sucks to be stuck on the water every several weeks!

·
Registered
35 Posts
are there any how'to videos for changing out the boot and greasing the pto? the service manual says to do this every two years, but does not give any instructions on it in the service section.

81 - 96 of 96 Posts