SeaDoo Spark Forum banner

Extended warranty

36K views 31 replies 24 participants last post by  Aelk799 
#1 ·
#2 ·
I got the extended warranty mostly because it is an unproven product(first year of production) and if anything goes majorly wrong with it that is not a normal wear part it is covered for a $50 deductible... I hope it is worth its cost but I also really hope nothing goes wrong.

#4 · (Edited)
I didn't know that warranties can have a deductible. I wasn't even aware that there WAS an extended warranty option. My dealer never told me. I know if you sell it and its still under warranty its helps make for a quicker sale and its great to cover things but at the same time you have to wait until its up to do most mods and I'm finding with PWCs more than cars, its easier for them to call user error and not cover something so I'm wondering if the warranty is pointless. Also I wonder if they won't cover the same problem twice. Hyundai wont. I had a new car who's transmission went at 200 miles. They replaced with a refurbished one and it started slipping again and they said warranties don't cover the same part twice.

If you add on the extended warranty, about how much is it?

#25 ·
I am pretty sure as a dealer in Florida they can't offer you extended warranty, not sure if its a decision BRP made or if there is some other reason, but I am pretty sure you can go out of state to another dealer and they can sell you extended warranty and you can get that work done by a dealer in your home state of Florida, never heard getting denied warranty because of a reoccurring warranty issue, but because you had something fixed under warranty your warranty doesn't start over, the coverage you have continues on.

#7 · (Edited)
Geeze. I wonder how much the 7 year one is. Probably $1,750. It sounds like its $250 per year if you go by the price pattern they gave you Poedic. but...
If you break it down to about $250 a yr for extended warranty that's about $5 a week or $20 a month.

I want to get a better (Solas impeller) when mine is done. I asked BRP and they said if I got it and there were any drive shaft problems since the impeller is related to the drive shaft it will not be covered. Also I don't want to deal with the hassle of them saying I'm not giving enough proof of maintenance if I do my own work or making up some reason to not cover me like the bad luck I had with my car warranty. On top of the fact its $150 shipping each time I have to do into the dealership + $60 Marina fees to load and unload from the shipping trailer. (So $210 each time I have to go to the dealer ) Oh well, still far cheaper than buying a vehicle that I wouldn't need other than for transporting the jetski :p Extending the warranty would also mean I can't do any mods like the valve shut off one for if it needs to be towed.

If I don't get the extended warranty and things break I can fix it myself at the Marina and if I can't there is a mechanic on site where I could have the work done right there. Hopefully it wouldn't be something huge that breaks.

Its a big decision but I have until June 1st to make it.

Anyone else wrestling with " extended warranty " or " no extended warranty" decision ?

#8 ·
Like car dealers, having a good dealer that is willing to go to bat for you is important. I know your in the Sunshine State and I don't know anything of the workings down there. But IMO they are putting the screws to you. Is the dealer far from you? The closest dealer (18 miles) to us will pick-up/deliver the ski for free. I was first working with them on getting 2 ski's, but they only had one in stock. My dealer is just as good, but I have to take and pick-up from them. They are about 43 miles away. As for the extended warranty, we got 4 year extended warranties for each ski for $400. I'm getting a new sled (snowmobile) this coming season and it will be from either one of them, just because of the great service.

#10 ·
Well, I am considering the extended warranty. I also plan to buy from Tiny over on greenhulk if I get it. PM him for pricing. VERY competitive.

I have had a bunch of warranty problems already, and they are not covered by recalls:

Failed starter switch
Failed temp sensor
Failed throttle

At the price quoted by Tiny, it will only take 2 of these instances at most to pay for itself. I'm not worried as much about the engine, I am worried about all the failing electronics.

#11 · (Edited)
I'm not a big fan of my dealership. I was rubbed the wrong way from the beginning by being charged a little over $1,000 more in dealership fees , surcharges, etc. than I felt I should have been and it was pretty much " take it or leave it , there are literally people behind you in line that want the last spark in Miami until November when the 2015's come out. There is only one dealership in the Miami area and its the one I bought my ski from. It is 10 miles from my Marina.

The other one is 30 miles north of my Marina.

Omg nothing in Miami is free. Its $75 each way for pick up / delivery. Let me tell you just how crappy they are.... These were my fees in addition to tax / registration / title fees...

Shipping (To The Dealer From SeaDoo)

Handling

Assembly (It came assembled, it was a floor model, and the last Spark, that's why I had to get it fully loaded, when I questioned this fee they said " uhhh we had to further assemble things "

Inspection

Paper Work Processing Surcharge

3% On Total Fee For Using A Credit Card

However Shipping From Dealer To My Marina For The First Time Was Free

This totals about $1,085 or so.

My friend said they can't charge a credit card fee. I called Visa and I later learned that there are 11 states that can't charge a fee for using a credit card just because the credit card companies charge them. Florida is one of them and I could report them.

When I bought my Spark I prepaid for my first 50 mile service appointment / pick up and delivery and will be having the handle bars recall taken care of then too. I really don't want to deal with them after that.

At this point I'm so fed up with them that I'd rather rebuild the engine myself (lmao) than extend the warranty and have anything to do with them past this first service appointment and first year warranty but at the same time I know I'll be kicking myself if major s**t hits the fan and I didn't get it.

Sigh..

Oh well, interesting to know you can buy 2, 4, 6, 7 yr warranties. Didn't know there were that many options.

I was saying something about how I need to get around to putting a new starter into my scooter and my sales guy tried to sell me a new scooter. Um no thanks.

Thanks for listening to the vent :)

SARGE - 25hrs a year is average? I could do that in a couple of weeks. LOL. Maybe in places that don't have summer year round :) but I agree with what you are saying

RUNIT - thanks for the info about the good prices over at greenhulk. im on that board too :) I've rebuit my scooter , including a lot of electronic things so I'd do what I had to in order to figure out fixing my ski, I'm just worried about something going wrong with a part that is thousands.

#12 ·
I live in NH, where we get riding season for about 4 months. We're half way into the season, and I am over 20 hours on my spark that didn't die a couple weeks ago, and over 15 on the one that did. I'll have no problems hitting 50 hours on each this year.

Now imagine, for argument, that a "competitive" price on the warranty might be closer to $150/year. Now we are only adding $3/hour to avoid an expensive repair not covered in a recall. Or a series of mid priced repairs. Keep in mind that the forum users here are not average in sniffing out good deals, nor in the number of hours they ride. If I lived in FL, I bet I'd be seeing over 150/hours per year, and then I'd be spending $1/hr for the peace of mind of the extended warranty.

Insurance is -EV. That is to say, negative expected value. In statistical terms, that means that you will always spend more on insurance than repairs on average. This has to happen by definition, as the companies that sell them to you make money on the deal. What you get from insurance, and extended warranties, is reduced variance in exchange for lost value. You pay a little more than the average repair, but in the event of catastrophic repair, you still only pay a little above average. The question each person needs to evaluate, is the up front cost worth less to me than the chance of a high repair bill later.

I drive an '03 toyota. I don't carry collision insurance. The car has little enough value compared to my income that I will just buy a new car if I crash it. However, I expect this is a low probability scenario.

On the other hand, my ever-dying sparks seem like they could nickle and dime me to death far above the price of the extended warranty tiny quoted me. Since I can afford this price, and I find the prospect of paying it less annoying than having a problematic spark that always needs repair work, I may buy it.

#13 ·
I'm getting the extended warranty... Get it from tiny from greenhulk, I got the VTEC first instead of the extended warranty... I knew I could get it before the warranty expires.

Straightbanging... you don't have to take it to the same dealership for warrantees you go to another dealership

I Soon as I have some more money my credit card I'm buying it

#14 ·
I bought the extended warranty when I bought my Spark. Just an extra little peace of mind in case something would happen.

I can understand not liking a dealer and not wanting to deal with them. I refuse to take my Spark to my closest dealer from my experiences dealing with them on my previous ski where they lied to me for three months about what was wrong with it. I wouldn't take a used unit there, let alone my brand new Spark! I was lucky to find another dealer that I really like and although I have to drive a ways to get there, it is well worth it! They are really good to deal with and recognize me and ask about my Spark every time I go in. They didn't gouge me with all the extra fees when I bought it and I have had great dealings with them ever since. It is worth finding a good dealer, even if you have a bit of a drive!

#16 ·
I’m getting the extended warranty mostly because the Spark has had several problems and recalls already and 2014 is not even over yet!! Lol I had a 18ft boat at one time, and boat stands for Bring Out Another Thousand. Fixing or repairing any type of marine vessel, being boat, PWC or whatever is very expensive. The plan is 1 yr extension=$298 and $100 bucks for each additional year after that. So If I get an extension up to 2018 which is 3 years past the original warranty, it will cost me $498 bucks. And with only a $50 deductable, for myself, it’s seems like a no brainer. Because correct me if I’m wrong, but if you decide to get the extended warranty after the factory warranty runs out, you’re going to pay allot more for those additional years of warranty coverage, right? One costly repair and it will pay for itself. Up to you, but I’ve heard of a lot of bad stories when it comes to repairing PWC’s.

#18 ·
I have never bought a extended warranty on ANY of My Sea Doos because if it runs the first year it will run many years!
Bear In mind if a recall occurs or a bulletin occurs the ski gets fixed Warranty OR NOT!!
I have had 15 Skies and if I paid a $400 Extended warranty on each one I would have lost
$6,000 Dollars -- So Again I Just got my spark for free!!!!

PS: This is Not a Car you drive Thousands of miles a Year??? Most people will Not Put 100 Hours on a jet ski before selling it for a Newer Model! Its your $$$?

#29 ·
The BRP Extended Warranty is not worth the paper it’s written on!

I bought a brand new, 2018 Sea Doo Spark, 2up, 90hp iBR to use at my lake home May thru September along with a PortaDock PWC lift to park it next to my dock. When I bought my new 2018 Spark in May of 2018, I also bought an extended warranty which was supposed*** to cover me from engine repair costs for 24 months (instead of just 12 months) with a $50 deductible. Hmmm.

I have had a certified auto and marine technician do oil and filter changes every spring and run anti freeze thru the system in the fall and store it inside.

Now we get to last month (May, 2020). A family member of mine capsized my Spark after paralleling some big waves from a wave boat and it partially hydro locked (no outward indication of a major issue other than the water supply hose disconnecting). After about 20 hours of use later... it blew a rod! The lead BRP technician at the BRP dealer that I bought my 2018 Spark from is balking at replacing the engine under my extended warranty and acts like I am asking him to give up his first born to even try to pursue it with them. :/

I also have the best PWC insurance that Foremost/Farmer Insurance offers. I have a feeling both Foremost/Farmers and BRP are going to point the finger at each other on this one. Anyone else in the same situation? I had no idea that the engineering on these PWCs was so lackluster... I REGRET buying now.

Oh... now for the best part. The cost of replacing my cracked engine? $7300! That’s more than I paid for it!!! And as far as getting a new 2020 Sea Doo Spark to replace my totaled 2018 Spark... no inventory will be available until September!

If Foremost/Farmers cover my claim... I am pretty sure I am going to just buy a used Yamaha and call it good. I am rating the engineering on the Sea Doo Spark as “Mickey Mouse” at best.

#30 ·
I don't know about the engineering being Mickey Mouse but I do know that BRP sucks when it comes to customer service. I also have noticed that Most dealership REALLY suck because like you said, they think we are asking for something utterly out of the realm of anything a dealer could do. I would suffice to say that its mostly the dealership and BRP that really need to get their **** together.

#31 ·
I don't know about the engineering being Mickey Mouse but I do know that BRP sucks when it comes to customer service. I also have noticed that Most dealership REALLY suck because like you said, they think we are asking for something utterly out of the realm of anything a dealer could do. I would suffice to say that its mostly the dealership and BRP that really need to get their **** together.
Agreed and thanks!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.