SeaDoo Spark Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
318 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I got a chance to put several hours on my new spark yesterday. I will compare it to what it will be replacing. We have a 1992 polaris sl750 2up and a 3up gtx 580. For breakin since its severly detuned we just ran wide open the whole time. Power wise its about 1 mph faster than the gtx but the lightwieght gets it out of the hole way faster. The sl750 has a about a 3mph edge on the spark. Top speed was 42mph which is right in the ballpark of all of our riding buddies who have gtx's and xp's just a tad slower. We ride lake Wausau mostly which has 3 decent sized rivers and a 10 mile stretch of open water so speed is about right in the relativly calm water.
The spark is a bit bigger machine than I had hoped for and the hull although nimble does not allow the insane fun get wet factor of the tiny polaris. When trying to do high speed cuts when you can get the polaris to spin and slide backwards the spark will just cut and turn like the gtx. I think removing the adjustable chines on the back will help get rid of the excessive stabilty . Being a bigger hull and nearly the same size as our battleship gtx you can ride all day with modest manuvering and never get even so much as a drop of water on you. My wife will apreciate that.
Every one who rode it agreed it is just plain fun with the light weight and quicker handling than the old 90's machines its replacing.
One of the important factors which was fuel consumption since we ride 2 to 3 times a week in the summer the spark met our goal. The gtx which is the most efficent of our machines used 3.95 gallons of fuel and the spark used 2.9 doing the exact same riding. That comes out to about 1.5 gallons per hour. My polaris which of course with a much bigger(more powerfull) motor uses about double that of the 60hp spark. That should save me several hundred bucks a month just in fuel alone.
All in all I give the spark a big thumbs up and will be trading in the gtx on a 90hp 2up with ibr becasue thats pretty much all that avalable until winter production starts back up.
I dont think I will be remapping the one we have now as its just a bit slower than out target speed of 45 mph . I will install the manual reverse and I think the wife will be fine on it as she is not an agressive rider. So spending $1000 to remap would not be justified. Maybe in the future when the aftermarket reprogrammers are more reasonably priced say $300 to 500ish Ill buy one.

I will try and keep the old sl750 going as long as I can since it has no resale value and it is the most fun sit down Ive even been on. Its also handy for running shallow rivers where I wont care about grinding it on the gravel beds. It can also be nose down submerged running and shoot water spouts that I doubt the big spark will be able to do.

·
Registered
318 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I forgot to add not so much as a drop of water came out of the drain after the ride so the hull must be sealed pretty good.

·
Registered
247 Posts
Thanks for the review!! I agree $950 is a bit much for me to pay when I got the 90HO for $700 more and No warranty worries?

·
Premium Member
768 Posts
We all think alike, can't see spending 1k for the tune. But to mention, I have only heard of doing it to a 60up motor. nobody has given numbers for the 90hp motor. But the price is just way too steep.
Great review!!!!

·
Registered
337 Posts
We all think alike, can't see spending 1k for the tune. But to mention, I have only heard of doing it to a 60up motor. nobody has given numbers for the 90hp motor. But the price is just way too steep.
Great review!!!!
For the VTECH, at $939 for the module and the software you're paying $19.16/hp on the 60 (49 hp gain) and $49.42/hp on the 90 (19 hp gain)

·
Premium Member
203 Posts
For the VTECH, at $939 for the module and the software you're paying $19.16/hp on the 60 (49 hp gain) and $49.42/hp on the 90 (19 hp gain)
I am still debating what I am going to do, I have two 2UP 60HP units. Which works out cheaper for the vtech if I buy and I can program both. But there is also a shop about an hour from me who has a vtech and will do them for $50 plus tuning credit.

So I am faced with $1200 for both, plus travel, Down side is I would have to travel back and have it detuned if I needed to do warranty work, they would also charge me $50 per ski to do this again. Upside is cost.

Or buy the tuner myself a do both for $1489, upside is I have the tuner and can do everything myself.

·
Registered
185 Posts
I am still debating what I am going to do, I have two 2UP 60HP units. Which works out cheaper for the vtech if I buy and I can program both. But there is also a shop about an hour from me who has a vtech and will do them for $50 plus tuning credit.

So I am faced with $1200 for both, plus travel, Down side is I would have to travel back and have it detuned if I needed to do warranty work, they would also charge me $50 per ski to do this again. Upside is cost.

Or buy the tuner myself a do both for $1489, upside is I have the tuner and can do everything myself.
Buy the tuner. It can read/clear codes and vtech is always coming out with new tunes that you could install whenever you want.

Yep, my phone sent this...

·
Registered
318 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Just picked up the 90hp ibr 2up and my wife already likes the machine . I have a feeling I will be riding the 60hp. Hopefully the weather will warm up again someday to give a head to head comparison of the 2 versions.

Attachments

·
Registered
916 Posts
Nice review thanks. I was at a seadoo spark test drive event and tried the 2up and the 3 up. the 2up felt very unstable and hard to maneuver. the 3up felt perfect to me and i will be buying one as soon as dock space opens at the marina near me. from what i heard seadoo is not making any more 2014s this year so what the dealers have is all they have left so i may even have to wait for a 2015. anyway the seadoo guys were saying that the sparks trap less water than any other wave runner they have seen. im glad i found a form specifically for sparks :) ive read that people have had problems with stuff getting clogged in intake ( seaweed, pebbles, etc) so im thinking of getting some sort of additional cap with a grate, screen, etc. on it. keep the reviews coming!

·
Registered
318 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
The white and black one is the 90hp. Ok I took it out for a comparison ride to the 60hp. First up the ibr is an awsome device. Hitting it at speed will reel in the beast with a nice pucker factor. It really comes in handy when my buddy was having trouble with his machines and I needed to manuver close in a flowing river to hear what he was saying. It also makes docking a breeze. Well worth the extra money. As far as power I will have to agree that 90 is right on the money for what the machine should have . It pulled 52mph which is about the limit of what I would call safety for the size of the machine. I had no want to go faster . It was just as fast/quick as my buddies xp720 all while doing it without the noise ,smoke and half the fuel consumption. Even if I could jack up the power to 109 I wouldnt do it just to save the engine for the long run. The real fun was the accleration and low speed playing.
As far as power compared tot he 60hp The big factor is off the line and acceleration. If my 60hp even had the power the 90 does in tour mode I would be happy with it. I could get 47mph top speed in tour mode which but it also seems to be very close in low end power as sport mode till you get there so it seems they just upped the rev limiter to allow for more top speed. Using the ibr while doing low speed play moves will also be a lot of fun . You can come in hot dump the front end in the water and get a sideways wheelie with some quick throttle jabs.
All in all I still feel the 60hp spark was a marketing blunder since the dealer cannot go back and upgrade to the 90hp for a realistic upcharge like say $200. They would have been better off with the touring map instead of training map . Now I find myself with a couple of chioces. I want reverse so I will have to get that option which is no biggie for $300. But also I want at least the touring mode power so I either have to bit the bullet and pay the overpriced maptuner option or just go ahead and trade in the orange crush on some of the still available 90hp with ibr just like the wifes.

·
Registered
227 Posts
I got a chance to put several hours on my new spark yesterday. I will compare it to what it will be replacing. We have a 1992 polaris sl750 2up and a 3up gtx 580. For breakin since its severly detuned we just ran wide open the whole time.

It may be detuned but I haven't heard anyone suggest any single RPM range for a good break in. Speeds have to be varied during break in . The operators manual may be too conservative an approach . I always favor breaking a new engine in aggressively . There are 2 different schools of thought but no one
recommends extended running at the same speed. Do yourself a favor and vary speeds for the next few hours.

·
Registered
318 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
Ok went ahead and got the vtech tune. Top speed went from 42mph(7100 rpm) to 49 mph(7900rpm) but the main difference is how it launches. Its just like in the youtube video. It pretty much will jump out of the water at least once and there is nothing you can do about it but feather the throttle. Also with this reprogram it now has a touring mode just like my 90hp. Id say it is the same map except it has a delay when you take off to keep the front end down. I didnt drag race directly against my wifes 90hp but her gps in touring (she goes 110pounds) says 50mph 7900 rpm.. I rode hers in sport and it would do 52mph with my 260pound butt on it. The vetech tune just plain makes low speed manuvering crazy fun. Even more than the 90hp. We rode for several hours and the vtech tune used 3.5 gallons to the 90hp 2.5 gallons. I do question the vtech tunes effect on longevity with such low end grunt it provides. I would also not spend the money to retune HO . But a 60 absolutely.
Id like to thank JETONE for the tune and doing it on short notice.

·
Premium Member
85 Posts
Hi Wizzer, it was nice to meet you and I'm glad I was able to help. It sounds like you had a great weekend. I can't wait to see how your ski does when you race your wife's.

·
Registered
191 Posts
Nice review thanks. I was at a seadoo spark test drive event and tried the 2up and the 3 up. the 2up felt very unstable and hard to maneuver. the 3up felt perfect to me and i will be buying one as soon as dock space opens at the marina near me. from what i heard seadoo is not making any more 2014s this year so what the dealers have is all they have left so i may even have to wait for a 2015. anyway the seadoo guys were saying that the sparks trap less water than any other wave runner they have seen. im glad i found a form specifically for sparks :) ive read that people have had problems with stuff getting clogged in intake ( seaweed, pebbles, etc) so im thinking of getting some sort of additional cap with a grate, screen, etc. on it. keep the reviews coming!

I'd be very int in some kind of grate trap if performance wasn't overly affected, especially since I got the 60HP 2up. Post if you find one being made for the Spark! Thx!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts