SeaDoo Spark Forum banner

1 - 20 of 74 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Has anyone else had their handle bars break on their spark?

Mine fully snapped off leaving a sharp jagged edge that cut the riders chin open.

See attached pics

·
Registered
337 Posts
DUDE, how did that happen? Second the concern for your bud!

first we have hull cracks, now snapping bars...

·
Registered
430 Posts
WOW

is he ok now? guessing some stitches? looks like its pretty well cut open.

that is not cool

time for some aftermarket handlebars
looks like cheapo PVC plastic

soooooo... lawsuit?

·
Registered
233 Posts
It'd be great to see a picture of the Spark with broken handlebars. What exactly was the circumstance that led to it breaking? I'm wondering if it is due to poor build quality or if you were putting some strain on the handlebars that contributed to the breaking of the handlebars.

Hope your friend is doing well now.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Hi BTMG, Do you have any more info on how to adapt them, I didnt think it was possible on the spark,

I did remove the photos due to BRP not being to impressed with this post on this forum and did attempt to remove the post with no luck.

The end result was I bought a pair of handle bars my self.

No strain was put on the bars outside of what they designed to do, the rider weighs around 80kg and was heading out over small wave when the unit nose dived and he distributed all his weight onto the bars, in saying that Im 110kg and its possible over time the bars had weakened, they do have a lot of pressure on them as when your hooking in you hold on hard, especially when changing direction.

The rider has some very bad scarring that will remain with him for the rest of his life.

·
Registered
289 Posts
It really sounds like a defect or something. If you have ample documentation you could try to get some type of compensation. If not for you, it would be good to report in case its a wider problem than with just your Spark.

·
Registered
430 Posts
why would BRP not want the photos up? I say at least post the photos of the broken handles

Maybe not so much your friends face after the accident. You could leave a link to that if you want.

·
Registered
337 Posts
Hi BTMG, Do you have any more info on how to adapt them, I didnt think it was possible on the spark,

I did remove the photos due to BRP not being to impressed with this post on this forum and did attempt to remove the post with no luck.

The end result was I bought a pair of handle bars my self.

No strain was put on the bars outside of what they designed to do, the rider weighs around 80kg and was heading out over small wave when the unit nose dived and he distributed all his weight onto the bars, in saying that Im 110kg and its possible over time the bars had weakened, they do have a lot of pressure on them as when your hooking in you hold on hard, especially when changing direction.

The rider has some very bad scarring that will remain with him for the rest of his life.
I don't sorry, I meant I just found out you could adapt renthals for a sea doo appologies for the confusion although I have been searching for anything. Why would it not be possible if you dont mind?

Would you be able to put back up the pic of the broken bars, I get that having a garish scar associated with their product would not go over well but broken bars are broken bars I think people should get to see that at least...

What kind of bars did you get? Pics when finished please :D:D

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Because of the design of the handle bars beeing 100% plastic there is no bar clamp like you would find on a normal jet ski. So the handle bars and stem are all one peice moulded together. so the only way you could do it was if you turned up a piece of stainless steel in a lathe and then welded a plate with a set of clamps on it. Which would be a lot of work and trial and error, There is certainly a market there if a company was to put the R&D into producing a kit. Also magnets need to be attached to the shaft for the safety features of the ski.

·
Registered
437 Posts
Has anyone else had their handle bars break on their spark?

Mine fully snapped off leaving a sharp jagged edge that cut the riders chin open.

See attached pics
I don't see the photos is ther anyway you can show me hwo the handle bars broke off. This is a huge concern especially for people that are looking in to buying the spark.

·
Registered
337 Posts
Because of the design of the handle bars beeing 100% plastic there is no bar clamp like you would find on a normal jet ski. So the handle bars and stem are all one peice moulded together. so the only way you could do it was if you turned up a piece of stainless steel in a lathe and then welded a plate with a set of clamps on it. Which would be a lot of work and trial and error, There is certainly a market there if a company was to put the R&D into producing a kit. Also magnets need to be attached to the shaft for the safety features of the ski.
interesting, so all it would take is someone to manu a mounting bracket. I've seen a few aftermarket companies have made the similar brakets for the larger ski. I assume with the popularity of the spark with the stunt and race crowd this will be here shortly :D:D

but then again I have no idea what I'm talking about ;)

·
Registered
227 Posts
There are already 2 people on this forum reporting broken handle bars and physical injury. I contacted Sea Doo and they said they have no official reporting of it . If they did and if there is a safety issue they assured me it would be promptly addressed. They said they take the potential for injury very seriously. I don't know what people are thinking but this must be properly reported to them and I would suggest with photos. This has to be done immediately before there is a serious injury.

1 - 20 of 74 Posts