SeaDoo Spark Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Was out on the river today, flat water had a continuous beep with the notification "Low Oil" Not sure how a 4stroke can give you a "Low Oil" warning to start with, checked oil levels seems I have lost no oil at all. Happened about 5 times always approaching full rpm, Limp mode activated "check engine" then back to normal about 20 seconds later. I'm stumped :/ Any input appreciated!

-Paul

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Can anyone check for me oil level while on the trailer. I know you are supposed to check it while its flat and warm in the water but it will still give a good idea of a perfect level.

Im going to check the sensor and probably replace it but 4strokes should never lose oil right? and if for some reason it does happen what are common causes?

·
Registered
379 Posts
Can anyone check for me oil level while on the trailer. I know you are supposed to check it while its flat and warm in the water but it will still give a good idea of a perfect level.

Im going to check the sensor and probably replace it but 4strokes should never lose oil right? and if for some reason it does happen what are common causes?
checking on the trailer is fine just adjust the trailer flat close enough is good enough for level by eye

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Ok... I just waited 3 weeks for a new oil sensor, got it fitted yesterday... SAME PROBLEM!

((So now i know I don't have Lo oil and i also... Did not have a failing oil pressure sensor))

WTF! MY BRAIN HURTS!

·
Registered
379 Posts
a few checks you can do if you have a multi meter

you know where the oil pressures switch is with the ski off measure the pin inside to ground you should have zero ohms or .5ohms max
then the ski is running will go open circuit eg Meg ohms

OIL PRESSURE SWITCH ACTIVATION RANGE

130 kPa to 170 kPa (18.85 PSI to 24.66 PSI)

you could also check continuity from the wire end of plug to the ecu Plug A pin E3 should be zero ohms

otherwise need to check the actual oil pressure

·
Registered
69 Posts
I agree at this point with replacement sending unit yielding the same result you probably need to check actual oil pressure with a gauge. Here are the troubleshooting steps for low oil pressure (from the service manual):

1. Oil level is too low. - Refill engine oil. - Check for high oil consumption. See below. - Check for oil leaks (oil leaking out of leak indicator hole, gaskets, oil seal or O-rings). Repair or replace.
  2. Defective or clogged oil filter. - Replace engine oil and filter.
  3. Use of a bad grade oil. - Replace engine oil with BRP recommended oil.
  4. Oil pressure regulator valve sticks open, or spring load is insufficient. - Clean oil regulator piston and its bore. Replace if necessary. - Measure spring free length. Replace if out of specification.
  5. Oil pump(s) worn or damaged. - Check if oil pump drive gears are damaged. Replace if necessary. - Check oil pump rotors and its bor efo wea rlimits. Replace if out of specification.
  6. Engine oil strainer is clogged. - Remove and clean engine oil strainer.
  7. Heavy wear on plain bearings. - Check radial clearance of plain bearings. Replace if out of specification.

·
Registered
24 Posts
I had a problem with my oil too, after 7 hours on it, it blew the oil pan gasket and soaked the whole motor and hull with oil. after about a 3 month run around from the dealer its fixed. make sure there is no oil in the bottom of the ski.

·
Registered
319 Posts
The oil pressure switch is grounded when oil pressure is low. If the wiring rubbed through and shorted to ground somewhere you will get the same signal to the ecu as low oil pressure. There is a known wear spot on the left front of the engine where the wires have been shorting to the head. I would also screw in a oil pressure guage and verify you oil pressure while the engine is running.

·
Registered
3 Posts
oil pressure

I have a14 2up I'm having the oil pressure code coming up. Only difference I had flashed the ecm to get the sport mode about a month before it started. So far no leaks, put gage on pressure fine, replaced switch, disconnected ecm. Had dealer check pin at harness,hookup to buds. Ran at dealer for min. fine,put on water lasted 5min. low oil pressure. Took back to dealer,reflashed ecm. Going to check the wire for ground on head. Hoping to get to run it today.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.