SeaDoo Spark Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I bought a 2015 spark this summer, Has never seen salt water nor will it ever see it.

But yet there is quite a bit of corrosion on the ride plate and on the pump. I'm kind of annoyed by this seeing how it is a brand new sea-doo. I know there is a anode that is supposed to stop this. I haven't check it out yet but I'm going to do that today. If my 94' SPI was able to stay in the same lake for a whole summer and come out with no corrosion then why can't this? (My spark wasn't in the water for more than a week this summer) I think I warrenty repair might be in order.

Pics: http://imgur.com/a/sbaWa

Only used it in 3 Lakes: Lake Huron, Lake Mindemoya and Lake Redstone.

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Is there an anode installed from the factory?
Yepp, To the right of the flush kit nozzle. Looks like a button cell battery with a 10mm nut holding it in place.

Mine had little to no wear, just light corrosion.

·
Registered
259 Posts
I've had my Spark since June 2015 and it's been in the ocean, brackish water and fresh water. There's no corrosion on the ride plate or steering nozzle at all. Wonder what's causing all that?

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I've had my Spark since June 2015 and it's been in the ocean, brackish water and fresh water. There's no corrosion on the ride plate or steering nozzle at all. Wonder what's causing all that?
Yeah that's what I mean! Even my brother's 1999/2000 XP Limited has no corrosion and it has been in the water literally all summer!

He works at a evinrude dealer and he said they hardly ever check the anode, because there is no point since we are surrounded by fresh water! He suggested painting the pump housing and ride plate but I rather try to get a new pump from warranty. I guess I gotta haul er' up 200km to get it checked out.

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Is it possible that another boat or dock electric line is electrically "polluting" the water by your ski?
Actually yeah that would be possible... I keep it at a marina that supplies 220V I believe.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Actually yeah that would be possible... I keep it at a marina that supplies 220V I believe.
Same here. I pulled it out and found some light corrosion like your picture but much less. The ski sits in the water around several boats. I'm suspecting "electric leakage" but not sure how to handle it. I'm guessing the anode can not handle the extra electric.

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Same here. I pulled it out and found some light corrosion like your picture but much less. The ski sits in the water around several boats. I'm suspecting "electric leakage" but not sure how to handle it. I'm guessing the anode can not handle the extra electric.
Yeah it's like the last thing you'd think of but it's totally possible, You'd think it would just eat up the anode faster but I guess not. The only way to stop it would be to ground the ride plate somehow I guess? I'll have to ask if they do anything to prevent too much damage at the marina.

·
Registered
37 Posts
That is my guess too is a boat around you not being wired properly for electric. I did a lot of reading while trying to understand the electrical system on my boat before wiring in stuff. If one boat is bad it can screw up all the ones around it.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts