SeaDoo Spark Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
289 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
There has been a lot of talk about how the Sea-Doo Spark is the most affordable PWC out there, but how does it compare to the best-selling Yamaha WaveRunner VX Sport?

The Looks

Sea-Doo Spark:

Yamaha WaveRunner VX Sport:

Price

Spark: $4,999
WaveRunner: $7,999

With a difference of $3,000, there is a huge contrast in price between the two PWCs!

Seating Capacity

Spark: 1-2 people
WaveRunner: 1-3 people

Fuel Capacity

Spark: 7.9 gal
WaveRunner: 18.5 gal

That is close to twice as much fuel capacity in the WaveRunner over the Spark.

Cargo Capacity

Spark: 0.42 gal, 7.42 gal with optional front storage bin
WaveRunner: 15.1 gal

Width

Spark: 46"
WavRunner: 46.1"

Length

Spark: 110"
Length: 126.8"

So to give an overview of the whole comparison, the Sea-Doo Spark is more affordable, but you do sacrifice some to get that affordability. The Spark can carry one less person, has 1/2 as much fuel capacity, and has half as much cargo capacity (if you buy the optional front storage bin.) The last thing to say is that the Spark is made from Polytec which is a recyclable, low density and high composite material that is strong, light and durable. Sure it is $3,000 less, but that money does buy you a lot of extra goods if you want to spend it on the best-selling Yamaha WaveRunner VX Sport.

·
Registered
337 Posts
you've just compared a 2 seat roadster to a pickup truck. Thats exactly the reason the Apark was even created. You don;t need to carry that many people and PWC's aren't for long journeys. What you didi not include is the horsepower of each. People buy PWC's for fun, horsepower= fun.

·
Registered
1,027 Posts
For $3000 less i think the spark is great for what it is, a good number of people should find it to be a good bang for your buck sea doo.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I dont know about the Yamaha , but if you get a real Spark quote from your local dealership you will see that the " affordable price " is just a myth ...

·
Registered
289 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
you've just compared a 2 seat roadster to a pickup truck. Thats exactly the reason the Apark was even created. You don;t need to carry that many people and PWC's aren't for long journeys. What you didi not include is the horsepower of each. People buy PWC's for fun, horsepower= fun.
The reason why I compared the two is because they are both entry level offerings. The VX Sport is the cheapest PWC that Yamaha offers. The Spark is meant to undercut them. I am just showing you what that savings in dollars will cost you in function.

The Spark website doesn't show the horsepower so that is why I didn't include it. The Spark runs on a Rotax 900 ACE. I'm guessing 900 is the displacement.

The displacement on the Waverunner is 1052cc.

·
Premium Member
164 Posts
Fuel Capacity

And the Spark will go twice as far as the waverunner on half the gas !!!!!!!

·
Premium Member
164 Posts
Here are some actual numbers from the dream demo series, Jeff Hemmel:
Actual numbers at 35 mph: Sea-Doo RXT-X (6.8 gph), Yamaha FX SHO (7.7 gph), Kawasaki Ultra 250X (7.8 gph)

At that same 35 mph mark, Yamaha’s VX110 series consumes as little as 4.1 gallons per hour

Keep in mind, this is at 35 mph, once you get up past 65mph on the big boys to wide open throttle,
the Ultra 250x is using up 24 Gallons per hour.
The FX HO is burning up 21.7 Gallons per hour, and the Sea Doo RX-T is at a 20.6 GPH.
Here is a link for you:
http://www.socalwatercraftclub.com/forum/showthread.php?t=300

·
Registered
430 Posts
Fuel Capacity

And the Spark will go twice as far as the waverunner on half the gas !!!!!!!
truth,

and with $3000 in your pocket.

I'll go with the Spark ;)

·
Registered
337 Posts
The reason why I compared the two is because they are both entry level offerings. The VX Sport is the cheapest PWC that Yamaha offers. The Spark is meant to undercut them. I am just showing you what that savings in dollars will cost you in function.

The Spark website doesn't show the horsepower so that is why I didn't include it. The Spark runs on a Rotax 900 ACE. I'm guessing 900 is the displacement.

The displacement on the Waverunner is 1052cc.
regular engine is 60 hp. H/O is 90 HP. 405 lbs for 2 UP and 421 lbs for 3 UP leaving us with P/Ws of: 6.75 lbs/HP in the 2UP base model, an obscene 4.5 lbs/HP when upgrading 2UP to H/O. For the 3UP (only avilable with H/O) it is 4.67 lbs/HP

I disagree, the Spark was not designed to undercut Yamaha, Yami is barely a fly on Sea Doos back. The Spark was designed to undercut the used market. Sea Doo had been seeing their sales drop off because people were simply purchasing used models in the $5-6K range, so Sea Doo went and created an offering in the $5-6K range...

·
Registered
233 Posts
Wouldn't a lot of those used models that are more powerful be better than the Spark even if they are used? I still can see people being drawn to the used market for PWCs.

Is the difference in fuel efficiency between the two vehicles really that big? Is that because of the difference in weight?

·
Premium Member
164 Posts
The difference is in fuel effenciency is like this: Do you want to spend 80 dollars for fuel for one afternoon or 28.00 for fuel for the whole entire 3 Day weekend ?
Do you want to take the Fat Girl(s) for a ride or do you want to push this task off on the guy with the Bigger "Boat-like" watercraft ?
Go with the lighter, funner, quicker, more economical Spark

·
Registered
8 Posts
The difference is in fuel effenciency is like this: Do you want to spend 80 dollars for fuel for one afternoon or 28.00 for fuel for the whole entire 3 Day weekend ?
Do you want to take the Fat Girl(s) for a ride or do you want to push this task off on the guy with the Bigger "Boat-like" watercraft ?
I pretty much agree with you . You seem to like the Spark a lot , would you care to post your personal review or experience with your Spark so far ?? It could be helpful for us future buyers . :)

Thanks .

·
Registered
337 Posts
Wouldn't a lot of those used models that are more powerful be better than the Spark even if they are used? I still can see people being drawn to the used market for PWCs.

Is the difference in fuel efficiency between the two vehicles really that big? Is that because of the difference in weight?
more powerful but also heavier. They will cost more to maintain as well vs the Spark. Its essentially the same as comparing a Honda CBR to a Honda Goldwing, which one looks like more fun?

The used market was the only place to turn for an affordable PWC until spark...

·
Registered
430 Posts
couldn't have said it better.

·
Registered
1,027 Posts
more powerful but also heavier. They will cost more to maintain as well vs the Spark. Its essentially the same as comparing a Honda CBR to a Honda Goldwing, which one looks like more fun?

The used market was the only place to turn for an affordable PWC until spark...
This is so true. How I see it the spark is a sea doo for anyone, mainly for beginners, people just getting into the sport that want something entry-level or entry-level-like

·
Registered
337 Posts
This is so true. How I see it the spark is a sea doo for anyone, mainly for beginners, people just getting into the sport that want something entry-level or entry-level-like
yea its a very affordible point of entry for people new to PWC's but its also a great second sale to existing Sea Doo owners. Some guys have multiple bikes why not multiple PWC's? besides its a much more exhilerating feeling to be on something small and flickable than a behemoth with tons of power but only good for straight lines...

TBH I wonder what the spark does to the rest of the industry? I'm curious if it will start a trend even in the higher models.. I'm talking mainly about its construction here, I know its competitors are going to have to create a similar offer if they don't want to get smacked...

·
Registered
233 Posts
I understand the fuel economy thing but if you can find a used PWC that is in good condition I think that it would definitely deserve to be considered alongside the Spark. In the absence of a used option, the Spark takes it hands down.

·
Registered
430 Posts
yea its a very affordible point of entry for people new to PWC's but its also a great second sale to existing Sea Doo owners. Some guys have multiple bikes why not multiple PWC's? besides its a much more exhilerating feeling to be on something small and flickable than a behemoth with tons of power but only good for straight lines...

TBH I wonder what the spark does to the rest of the industry? I'm curious if it will start a trend even in the higher models.. I'm talking mainly about its construction here, I know its competitors are going to have to create a similar offer if they don't want to get smacked...
you mean backup sea-doo? not a bad idea :D the more the merrier.

·
Registered
1,027 Posts

Good point about a PWC over a bike. At least PWC's are more forgiving as if you some how fall off, you're in water, unlike a bike where you'd land on pavement which will end ugly.

·
Registered
337 Posts
I understand the fuel economy thing but if you can find a used PWC that is in good condition I think that it would definitely deserve to be considered alongside the Spark. In the absence of a used option, the Spark takes it hands down.
I think the Spark beats out used options. Not only do you save fuel on the water, but you also save fuel transporting. Sparks lighter weight make it quite easy to tow even on a small family sedan. Not to mention the piece of mind that comes from knowing you have full warranty and backed by dealer you bought it from.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts