SeaDoo Spark Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hey guys,

Has anyone replaced the bottom hull of their ski on here? I took mine out this weekend and hit a submerged tree just below the surface. Never saw it coming. Anyways it put a nice long crack from about the middle of the hull all the way down to the pump inlet. Was curious if anyone has bought a new hull and swapped everything over to the new hull and how hard that would be? I'm very mechanically inclined with heaps of tools so I don't think I'd have a problem figuring everything out.

Any help is appreciated,

Justin

P.S. This is a 2014 3up with IBR

·
Registered
16 Posts
That's a good post. I'm a plastics engineer from the occupation and the provided guidance for the fix is correct. 1st weld and then laminate from the inside.

The weld will be decent looks from the outside when done carefully, professional option is to use a shop which fixes car's plastic bumbers, but it's not too hard for a DIY guy either. Two things to remember:

1. The weld joint will not be as rigid as solid plastic due to melted plastic joining already solid plastic surface
2. GF lamination fixes this and can make the structure even more rigid than the original when adhesion for polypropylene is ensured - there are special materials & treatments for that and someone could actually post a link if finds the right solution.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Just used an Harbor Freight plastic welder to fix a 2 foot crack on the side of the hull just below the sponson. Still holding after 4 hours of pounding the waves....knock on wood. The welder is the hot air type. I used strips of black poly pro plastic for the welding rod....looks good....enough....

·
Registered
78 Posts
Did you start to sink?

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.