SeaDoo Spark Forum banner
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone else out there share my sentiments? As one of the first 2014 owners(and an experienced watercraft/boat owner) I was excited to get in on what I thought was an innovative improvement in PWC technology. Sadly, I was fooled. The design and manufacturing defects in this machine are obscene and unforgivable. From cracked hulls and broken handlebars at less than 50 hours to wear ring replacement every 10 hours, this product is a joke. It's a disposable toy fit only for flat water and single riders less than 180lbs. Unfortunately, 20K in junk equipment isn't worth 100K in legal fees, so BRP will get away with this scam. If there's a class action firm that ever decides it's a worthwhile cause, please let me know. I'll be your poster child.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Of course there going to have problems . they are only 5k for the most of you. I see it as a cheap light weight alternative. And yes I've had some problems but all new things do. Would I buy again . **** yeah. Honestly watersport I think you came to the wrong place.

·
Registered
516 Posts
Anyone else out there share my sentiments? As one of the first 2014 owners(and an experienced watercraft/boat owner) I was excited to get in on what I thought was an innovative improvement in PWC technology. Sadly, I was fooled. The design and manufacturing defects in this machine are obscene and unforgivable. From cracked hulls and broken handlebars at less than 50 hours to wear ring replacement every 10 hours, this product is a joke. It's a disposable toy fit only for flat water and single riders less than 180lbs. Unfortunately, 20K in junk equipment isn't worth 100K in legal fees, so BRP will get away with this scam. If there's a class action firm that ever decides it's a worthwhile cause, please let me know. I'll be your poster child.

I think all of you problems are caused by the operator.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
30 Posts
Wear ring replacements every 10 hours??? What are you riding in? Lava mixed with the devil's urine? I have never had to replace a wear ring on any of my three sparks yet. Of the couple hundred thousand sparks sold how many handle bars actually broke? My suggestion to you would be to sell the sparks ASAP since the value is very high because so many people love them. Then buy 3 Yamaha vx whales. You will get a great deal on them because demand is extremely low since the spark came out. FYI you will still have problems with them (I used to own one) but at least you can go on Yamaha forums and complain instead.

·
Registered
259 Posts
I'd be interested to hear more details about these four Sparks. Did they get fixed? Do you have pictures of the Sparks or any of their problems?
Your initial post is a little thin on specifics. If you want to sell them and aren't too far away, I am interested. What models are they, which options do they have, how many hours and what is your asking price?

·
Registered
131 Posts
Wear ring replacements every 10 hours??? What are you riding in? Lava mixed with the devil's urine? I have never had to replace a wear ring on any of my three sparks yet. Of the couple hundred thousand sparks sold how many handle bars actually broke? My suggestion to you would be to sell the sparks ASAP since the value is very high because so many people love them. Then buy 3 Yamaha vx whales. You will get a great deal on them because demand is extremely low since the spark came out. FYI you will still have problems with them (I used to own one) but at least you can go on Yamaha forums and complain instead.
I will have to agree, 10 hours per wear ring seems very low. Mine was thrashed around the same time, but that was my own fault. Usually wear ring issues are the riders fault, or something got wedged in there from floating around in the water.

I will agree the Sparks handlebars and few other plastic bits, leave alot to be desired. The Spark is still a great ski, and is tons of fun. I just wish BRP had better customer service, but I knew before buying mine they had a bad rep when it came to that....

I disagree with Sea Doo marketing the Spark as someones first ski. The Yamaha VX is a much better option for someone just starting out. It's more stable than the Spark, comfortable, and overall less likely to throw someone off. I've been riding for a long time, and love the Spark for the fact it's incredibly nimble, and can launch over wakes effortlessly, and the stellar fuel economy doesn't hurt either. But if I were to want a ski to just cruise around on, the Spark wouldn't be it.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I agree with the VX option. It would have been a much better choice and about the same cost had I gone with units a couple years old. I purchased the sparks not because they were an inexpensive ski, but because they looked fun, were half the weight and claimed to consume half the fuel. They seemed like an innovative improvement on the current choices. However, my ridiculous experience with this product can't be dismissed as simply an aberration. I have 4 of them--all with the exact same problems. I have them at my second home in the Caribbean where they are used regularly but never abused. Most of the problems I've encountered are documented--either by BRP through multiple recalls, or by service techs directly. We get seaweed and floating plastic debris (it's everywhere in the Caribbean), but apparently those fairly common ocean obstacles weren't taken into account during the design of the wear ring. The hulls are defective and the composite material chosen for them is too brittle. There are thousands of different plastic choices that could have been made based on proper design and testing. BRP obviously rushed this product to market without thorough testing. The wave jumping in various Spark videos looks fun, but the hulls on these units won't take that for long. The purpose of my posts is simply to share an experience with a product that could have been so much better. The spark is a great concept, but BRP blew it. They are arrogant and have little regard for rider safety (As a classic example of this, BRP refused to replace the defective handle bars on my skis because my second home isn't covered by a regional dealer). I, for one, would be happy to pay more for a spark-like PWC that was actually built to last. Just as Tata recently learned with the Nano, the public appetite for cheap and pooly made is very limited. I'm sure it won't be long before Yamaha releases a Spark killer, but that day can't come too soon for me.

·
Registered
47 Posts
If I could afford second home in the Caribbean I probably would have gone for something like an RXP 260 or one of the IS models instead of the budget ski. With that said I own both a Spark for myself and a VX cruiser for the girlfriend. Both are great machines in their own way, but for anyone looking for an aggressive ride you can't beat the spark, and that's coming from someone that used to ride an RXP 215. As far as these machines being no good for anyone over 180lbs that's BS. I'm 6'2" and weigh about 240 and I beat the crap out of mine out on the ocean wave jumping and riding as fast as can in heavy chop and have had no issues at all. If the hull was going to break from impact on water alone I would have done it by now.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Before I bought my spark I figured since the hulls were made of plastic I would have problems which is why I bought insurance (only $110 per machine /year $250 ded.) Knowing I ride aggressive . But to my surprise I have had no issues at all. The spark hull seems to be extremely strong for being as light as it is. Sea-doo clearly got it right . Sure there is always room for improvement but for a new concept/ hull material it had acceded my expectations.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 39 Posts