SeaDoo Spark Forum banner
21 - 39 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
165 Posts
Before I bought my spark I figured since the hulls were made of plastic I would have problems which is why I bought insurance (only $110 per machine /year $250 ded.) Knowing I ride aggressive . But to my surprise I have had no issues at all. The spark hull seems to be extremely strong for being as light as it is. Sea-doo clearly got it right . Sure there is always room for improvement but for a new concept/ hull material it had acceded my expectations.
Holy sweet ****! I thought my little 3ft wake jumps were big! :eek:

·
Registered
43 Posts
Before I bought my spark I figured since the hulls were made of plastic I would have problems which is why I bought insurance (only $110 per machine /year $250 ded.) Knowing I ride aggressive . But to my surprise I have had no issues at all. The spark hull seems to be extremely strong for being as light as it is. Sea-doo clearly got it right . Sure there is always room for improvement but for a new concept/ hull material it had acceded my expectations.
HUCK FEST :laugh:

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
Almost seems like this forum is dominated by BRP employees. Hmmmm. Anyway, the machines are defective and folks looking to buy into a poorly designed and manufactured piece of equipment have a right to know this. They would be a blast if they could be reliable, but they're not. Heck, lots of folks loved their AMC Pacer, and I can appreciate that. That didn't make it a good piece of equipment. A "voluntary" recall on handlebars that snap off (as mine did on ALL 4), kind of sums up BRP's attitude toward public safety. Sort of like having a voluntary recall on the Corvair. The Spark is a great concept but the product sucks. Apparently, I'm not the only one who has had the same experience (as revealed in an earlier forum post):

" I would like to start this post to share with other owners and prospective buyers the major problem I and others have had with brand new SeaDoo Sparks and the actions of BRP to address it. I welcome any comments, especially from BRP addressing it. I am not alone, search forums and google it for yourself.

So here is what happened:

We purchased a 2-up 90 HP in May 2014 from a dealership on a huge lake in NH. We got it on the water on 10 June 2014. On 28 June 2014, with 13 hours on the Spark, it lost thrust while going 30 mph and the engine just revved. It idled fine, but with any throttle it just emitted a high pitched whining noise (shaft spinning noise), and no propulsion. So I brought it to the dealer the next monday, 30 July 2014.

The Dealer calls later that day and says: The spline where the driveshaft and imeller shaft meet is shredded. To replace it they must disassemble the engine and half of the Spark, order a bunch of new parts and tons of labor for $8,000! - Holy Crap!!! - But it's under warranty, it's just that BRP hasn't hasn't authorized us (the dealer) to start repair and when they do we will have to wait for parts.

The dealer recommended I contact BRP Customer service to complain and speed up process.

So we called BRP Customer Service that day – Reply: We are sorry for the inconvenience, but oh well. - Requested to speak to Supervisor – Ok, someone will call you back tomorrow – No one called back from BRP.

1 July, 2014:

Dealer called – Sorry BRP still hasn't authorized a repair.

Called BRP again - We are sorry for the inconvenience, we will attempt to get you back on water soon and here is a claim # for you. - Requested to speak to Supervisor again – Ok, someone will call you back tomorrow.

2 July -7 July 2014

Called BRP daily after no returned calls. Same story.

7 July, 2014:

Dealer calls – BRP has verbally authorized repair, but they need at least 5-10 business days to engineer a new part and determine a cheaper method to repair. The Dealer told me his dealership had sold 30 sparks so far, 2 have come back already for this problem (a few weeks into NH's short riding season).

Called BRP – We are sorry for the inconvenience, your claim has been elevated to the Senior Customer Service Rep and they will contact you by tomorrow.

Emailed Steve the “After-Sales Social Media & Tech Support Team Lead at BRP” on the GreenHulk forum, explaining my situation and asking for assisstance. He replied: We are sorry for the inconvenience, I will investigate your claim and see if I can help resolve it.

8 Jul7, 2014:

Called BRP – Wife spoke to customer service, asked again to speak with someone who could answer questions. BRP stated your claim has been elevated to the “Third Tier” Senior Customer Service Rep and they will contact you by tomorrow.

9 July, 2014

Steve from BRP called, I looked into your claim and it has been elevated to the Senior Customer Service Rep and they will contact you soon. - Thanks Steve, I heard that a few times already

Dealer Called – We are still waiting on BRP!

Now Waiting....

So here I am, sharing my story. I will update as it unfolds. (Of course it unfolds in the middle of riding season)

I have researched online and this is happening to others, some I have chatted with and they are going through the exact same things with BRP. I am not trying to bad mouth SeaDoo, I understand problems can happen but I do believe a company should stand behind what they build and sell to us.

And think about this, the Spark driveshaft appears to be cheap and prone to fail, so BRP will redesign and replace those that fail under warranty - BUT if your driveshaft lasts more than a year and then goes out you are screwed after warranty - Maybe a recall or extended warranty should be called for here."

·
Registered
131 Posts
I do agree it seems like bro employees post here only ha. You can't say one negative thing without people jumping down your throat.

·
Registered
516 Posts
It's not the negative comments. It's the false accusations. Yamaha has posted many propaganda posts on here in the past. So when people start posting on here with common problems that don't exist with no history on the forum it seems suspicious. People that come here and just post about their problems are greeted with respect. People that come in with unsubstantiated shots of so called common issues will get what they deserve.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
259 Posts
So far every request for specific information that we have asked for has been answered with more accusations. No specifics, no proof, no pictures, just arguing and more accusations.
So what's the point of making this thread in the first place? You're clearly not looking for answers or help with your ski's issues or you would have given specifics.
It's clear that the purpose of your post is just to tell people not to buy Sparks.

Don't be surprised when we respond poorly to trash talk that is backed up with no evidence.

I would love to work for BRP.
(P.S. - BRP call me up if you need a Geographer who also moonlights as a mechanic)

·
Registered
30 Posts
I do not work for brp. I usually only buy Polaris stuff and i feel polaris over all is a far superior brand but they don't make a jet ski anymore. That's just me. Anyways With talking to many other riders dealers other forums (greenhulk) ect. I would estimate that maybe only 1 percent of the spark handle bars actually broke. Which is a high number since they sold like 100000 units or something like that. Which is why they had a recall. Anyways you say all four of your sparks handle bars broke? ASTRONOMICAL ODDS of that happening unless your doing something wrong? Or BSing? You must see how I could be suspicious. No pictures. You also have said in an earlier post you were changing wear rings every 10 hours? Why wouldn't you try an after market part??? Many different kinds out there. Unless this is also BS. You said you had cracked hulls also? I talk with hundreds of Spark owners on the lake or wherever I have not personally ever met anyone who broke handle bars or a hull. I know it has happened plenty but that's my experience. How did you manage to break 4 out of 4?? Not that the first generation spark couldn't use a few minor improvements but to say it's junk is just plain wrong. I agree with you about the customer service everything else seems just plain odd and unlikely. SERIOUSLY 4 OUT OF 4!!! BS.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
At last, a voice of equilibrium! Seriously, the only reason I decided to post in the first place was to find out what the heck is going on. I see very little in the way of public criticism. I have 4 machines. FOUR. If I had bought one and happened to get a lemon, I'd understand. And I understand if most of the folks on this forum are happy customers. The Spark is a great concept and not all of them are bad. However, I'm the poster child for what's wrong with the Spark. It's simple math. If 4 out of 4 are defective, there's a serious problem with the Spark. You want pictures? What Am I supposed to post? I use these machines in the winter months that we spend getting away from the snow and cold of the midwest. I can tell you that the units spent more time with the techs than they did on the water this past winter. We'd have them for a couple weeks and then something else would happen. Handlebars first, followed by hull cracks, followed by stripped drives. The wear rings got so regular that my property manager became an expert in changing them out. Again, I understand the fun factor with these machines--I'm with you! But there's a serious problem and if someone doesn't speak up, it will never get fixed. I wish BRP would do it. I wish they would service my machines outside the US, but they have a real problem at the highest levels of management and it's simply bad business. Competition is what makes all products better and I sure hope some of BRP's competitors read this post and improve upon a great idea. I have no problem paying a lot more for a Spark that I can depend on.

·
Registered
516 Posts
I do not work for brp. I usually only buy Polaris stuff and i feel polaris over all is a far superior brand but they don't make a jet ski anymore. That's just me. Anyways With talking to many other riders dealers other forums (greenhulk) ect. I would estimate that maybe only 1 percent of the spark handle bars actually broke. Which is a high number since they sold like 100000 units or something like that. Which is why they had a recall. Anyways you say all four of your sparks handle bars broke? ASTRONOMICAL ODDS of that happening unless your doing something wrong? Or BSing? You must see how I could be suspicious. No pictures. You also have said in an earlier post you were changing wear rings every 10 hours? Why wouldn't you try an after market part??? Many different kinds out there. Unless this is also BS. You said you had cracked hulls also? I talk with hundreds of Spark owners on the lake or wherever I have not personally ever met anyone who broke handle bars or a hull. I know it has happened plenty but that's my experience. How did you manage to break 4 out of 4?? Not that the first generation spark couldn't use a few minor improvements but to say it's junk is just plain wrong. I agree with you about the customer service everything else seems just plain odd and unlikely. SERIOUSLY 4 OUT OF 4!!! BS.

Agreed 4 out of 4 is suspicious. Especially that 4 out of 4 had one issue that isn't overly common "broken handle bars" then 4 out of 4 have an issue that just doesn't happen "broken hulls" then 4 out of 4 have two other issues that aren't all that common. The only thing I can think of what is common? The driver?

·
Registered
516 Posts
That post may cause an argument but with all honesty. 4 out of 4? I have over 100 hours and a season and a half on mine. The only thing I have had with mine is one may have a water bottles cap full of water in it after a day's of riding. I even have IBR on both of them and haven't wrecked a wear ring yet.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #32 ·
Just reporting the facts, folks. And the lack of criticism (along with the relentless attacks) smacks of corporate underwriting (aka clever social media). For the doubting Thomases, I'll post my 24K (4999 each plus various dealer fees) in receipts when I can dig them out of storage. This is not a passion of mine, but I'm pissed that I got taken for a ride. Sure hope these posts stay published, but I'm a little skeptical at this point. Again, I was looking for some answers, not attacks.

·
Registered
516 Posts
Just reporting the facts, folks. And the lack of criticism (along with the relentless attacks) smacks of corporate underwriting (aka clever social media). For the doubting Thomases, I'll post my 24K (4999 each plus various dealer fees) in receipts when I can dig them out of storage. This is not a passion of mine, but I'm pissed that I got taken for a ride. Sure hope these posts stay published, but I'm a little skeptical at this point. Again, I was looking for some answers, not attacks.

Reading your first post I don't know what answers you could possibly be looking for. You posted a whole bunch of trash talk on a forum for seadoo sparks that has many users. All of which besides maybe 2 or 3 love the machine and have had very little issues with them. Your original post was asking for harsh feedback.

·
Registered
30 Posts
The only thing I can tell you is that No one seems to have even half as many problems as you. I've spoken to hundreds of owners even a guy who has 8 sparks that he rents out on a lake I ride at. Zero broken handle bars combined. Zero hulls. Again why didn't you ever try a different brand of wear ring? Much of what your saying does not make sense to me? something is not adding up. Do you have several hundred hours per machine on your sparks or something? Store them outside or in the water? Ride is extremely poor conditions? Borrow your sparks out? If what your saying is true I'd like to figure out what your doing different than everyone else and find out what your doing so wrong. FYI I would not pay more for a "more durable" spark.

·
Registered
274 Posts
I haven't had any issues with mine, had two last year and two this year, I had my handle bars replaced last year for the recall and on the one I ride the centre of the bars were cracked but not broken, the problem with the bars was an issue with the mixture of the material when it was moulded, I talked to my dealer about it again recently and since the bar replacements were done they have had zero issues with bars, when recalls were being done they had one unit out of 30 that actually broke. drive shaft issues are not because of weak driveshafts but because on some units there was too much grease in the pto end of the drive shaft when it was assemble and it was keeping the driveshaft from fully engaging in the splines therefore breaking or stripping the splines, so both of those issues are basically human errors not design flaws, someone didn't do their job the way it was intended, everything made and designed by humans has a potential for error, and when a new design comes out there is potential also for failures of all sorts, wear ring issues are what you can call abuse because you are sending debris through the pump, it isn't intentional but it isn't a design flaw or a defect, it is a jet pump and that is one of the disadvantages of that type of propulsion system, if you have gone through that may wear rings why didn't you install a stainless wear ring? I would sooner have a plastic wear ring because of the type of water we are riding in, I have more risk of sucking up a rock than sending debris through my pump. But that may not be the case for you. As for cracked hulls all I can say is impact! I have seen enough cracked hulls on fiberglass boats and pwc's and the owner didn't know what they hit, just because you don't know what happened doesn't make it someone else's fault. Are they less durable than fiberglass? yes, but not always, plastic will have some give where fiberglass does not, but plastic is much lighter and that is what makes the Spark so much fun.

I bought our Sparks because they are light fun playful and very fuel efficient machines and very reliable. I am NOT a Brp employee! and I am NOT paid to say this! I am a powersports enthusist and am always itching for my next ride on what ever it is....two wheels, four wheels, track or or jet drive, every day is a good day when I am doing anyone of them and if I am doing it with my family its even better!

·
Registered
14 Posts
I have 8 of them. Zero broke bars, one wear ring problem... (sucked up rocks, same thing would have happened to any ski). Engines are all excellent, half are over the 130hp range and zero issues. Very impressed with them honestly. Zero hulls cracked, zero electrical issues. I also own RXP-X, RXT-X, RXP, RXT, GTX, so I have ridden a few skis and can judge them pretty well.

·
Registered
233 Posts
I don't know if he was fake but he really only sited one real instance of an issue for the driveshaft which was a known issue in early models. Wear rings are almost always of no fault of the machine, you are riding in too shallow water or the water you ride in is really dirty with a lot of debris. I have a 2017 spark 2 up IBR extended VTS and I love it, no issues yet 1 season on it, 12 hours.

21 - 39 of 39 Posts