SeaDoo Spark Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought 2 sparks last year, both have about 26 hours on them. One is using oil, have had to add about 1/2 litre, no signs of oil leakage anywhere that I can see, the other is fine, still at the full mark. Any ideas what could be causing this oil usage ?

·
Registered
274 Posts
so you have had to add 1/2 litre of oil in 26 hours? If you don't see any leakage in the bilge you could check the spark plugs to see if there is a difference in carbon between plugs, that could indicate an issue in one cylinder with valve seals, or rings etc, you could do a leak down test to verify rings. do both units get driven the same way?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for your reply, yes both are driven the same, if anything the one using the oil is driven lighter......I guess I'll just keep an eye on it and check the plugs at the end of the season

·
Registered
1 Posts
The exact same thing is happening to us. We bought 2 last year, both of ours have about 15 hours. Mine is using oil, the other is fine. No leaks that we can see. Both driven the same, however, my husband likes to hit the Turbo a bit more than me...

·
Registered
274 Posts
Thanks for your reply, yes both are driven the same, if anything the one using the oil is driven lighter......I guess I'll just keep an eye on it and check the plugs at the end of the season
I think that is something you should discuss with your dealer...I wouldn't wait till fall to deal with it, in case there is something Brp wants them to investigate into then it is something that can be done this year still.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The oil saga continues

So the oil saga continues. I thought I was going crazy but I have been monitoring this situation over the last few weeks and here's what I have found.

After driving the spark and it's warmed up the oil level reads a little over the full mark. I raise the sparks on my lift so they are level and take another reading 1 hour later, oil still the same level. 24 hours later, in the exact same position the oil level has dropped about 1/16 of an inch. 2 days later 1/8 inch. I then left it for this last week (5 days) and the oil level is reading just about 1/4 below the minimum mark. There is no oil leaking anywhere and this situation is consistent week after week when I let it sit idle for 5 days. This may also explain my concern over the winter when I checked my oil and it indicated empty !!!!!

What to do ?, I'm assuming the correct oil reading is when the engine is warm and not 1 week later after sitting idle.

Does anyone have any idea what could be causing this, it doesn't seem to make any sense as to where the oil could be disappearing......and then reappearing :confused:

·
Registered
306 Posts
Everything is fine. Drive it. If the low oil warning shows up start to be worried.

Sent from my SGH-I337M using Tapatalk

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
ok thanks but it does seem a bit odd don't you think, it would be nice to know what's causing this. I have another spark I bought at the same time and it's fine.

Oh ya, the oil saga spark also had a "Maintenance Required" indicator show up at 26 hours, no check engine or low oil indicators.

·
Registered
126 Posts
When you checked the oil while the Spark was out of the water, you followed the directions and started it up first, right?

Some people feel that you get a better reading if its in the water because you can run it for 5 minutes or more so that it is really warm. I'm not sure that that really matters.

My Spark had an oil leak that was repaired under warranty.

·
Registered
40 Posts
These are dry sump engines. The longer they sit, the more oil returns to the reservoir from the engine. They need to be ran and the oil warmed up some before you can get an accurate reading. There is a procedure in your owner's manual that explains this.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts