SeaDoo Spark Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
There has been a lot of consternation on this forum re: Sparks and how sound they are.

Today I went for my first ride. After several attempts at maneuvering the trailer towards the ramp, finally succeeding and then realizing I forgot to take the tie-downs off, I managed to get the Spark in the water. After several attempts to park said trailer, I returned to the Spark (I remembered to tie it to the dock...). After pointing it out to sea (uhm, lake) and doing my pre-flight check (nearly forgot to attach lanyard to me), I pressed start. Spark immediately jumped to 5 kph and I figured I was going to catch **** for surpassing the dead wake rule. Then I looked behind me an there was no wake.

Long story short, I had 54 minutes of pure fun! No handlebar breaks, hull is intact, electrical systems functioning within acceptable parameters. I didn't fall off because it was to 'tippy'. It didn't fill up with water or run out of oil or coolant. It just ran well!

So despite all of the horror stories that have been written about here, remember that the people that are having great experiences are far less likely to post in the forums....but we are out there!

·
Registered
236 Posts
Was at a new ramp. Pretty crowded. Lot's of salty dogs with their large boat trailers who can launch a boat blindfolded 5 seconds flat, impatiently waiting as the guy with a lifted Jeep rolled two Sparks down the ramp.

Second time at launching. Pretty nervous. Wife was guiding me...just as the trailer wheels hit the water edge I remembered...electrical, straps, bilge plugs!

Chesapeake Bay was glass. No wind. It was so awesome. 30 miles an hour, stood up, one hand on the throttle, gloved fist in the air, doing my War Face.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Today I went for my first ride. After several attempts at maneuvering the trailer towards the ramp, finally succeeding and then realizing I forgot to take the tie-downs off, I managed to get the Spark in the water. After several attempts to park said trailer, I returned to the Spark (I remembered to tie it to the dock...). After pointing it out to sea (uhm, lake) and doing my pre-flight check (nearly forgot to attach lanyard to me), I pressed start.
Congratulations! The Spark is my first ski as well and I've been forgetful on occasion as well. We all have to learn at some point. I think the key at the ramp is this: be humble, be arrogant and be quick.

Be humble: remember we all do foolish things on occasion. We are all idiots, so best double check everything before backing down the ramp.

Be arrogant: remember you have a right to use the ramp, even if you are still learning. Other people might smirk if you get off track. So what? We all have to learn somehow.

Be quick: Don't be TOO arrogant - other people also have a right to use the ramp, so be as fast and efficient as you can and get out of the way for the next guy.

For me, I'm easily intimidated by other boats at the ramp - but I'm getting better.

The worst thing that's happened to me at the ramp so far is a couple of old ladies pouring out an urn of ashes into the water while I was waiting to put my ski back on the trailer and this grey cloud wafting over the water towards me.

I wish I was kidding.

·
Registered
247 Posts
9.5 hours runs perfect. Towing with a 88 HP Chevy Spark is a Breeze and I don,t have to back the rear wheels under water Because the Spark is So Light I can just push it of the trailer and Also very easy to winch up at the end of the ride COMPARED to a 875 Pound RXT-X which I sold!

·
Registered
1,027 Posts
9.5 hours runs perfect. Towing with a 88 HP Chevy Spark is a Breeze and I don,t have to back the rear wheels under water Because the Spark is So Light I can just push it of the trailer and Also very easy to winch up at the end of the ride COMPARED to a 875 Pound RXT-X which I sold!
Not bad at all, easy loading and unloading always helps.

BTW nice list of toys you got their in your signature!

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Hour 2 complete! Hit a piece of wood on the port side at about 20 km per hour. Not even a scratch. Day ended with some guy calling my Spark 'Bad Ass'! Would have preferred a pretty blonde female but Bad Ass is Bad Ass!!!! :)

·
Registered
15 Posts
My Maiden voyage I used the large center section of my dock instead of the sides like I do now. That trailer is very tricky to back up, especially without the spark on it. Cant see the wheels of the trailer out of my side mirrors to tell if its wondering off.. too small to see it out the back window without the spark on it. Boats are very long and dont correct as quick as our smaller trailers do. That is why its easier for them. If some guy laughs at you, and hes in a bass boat, go wait till he sets his line then go run circles around him.(Note, make sure his boat is not faster than yours before hand)

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Was at a new ramp. Pretty crowded. Lot's of salty dogs with their large boat trailers who can launch a boat blindfolded 5 seconds flat, impatiently waiting as the guy with a lifted Jeep rolled two Sparks down the ramp.

Second time at launching. Pretty nervous. Wife was guiding me...just as the trailer wheels hit the water edge I remembered...electrical, straps, bilge plugs!

Chesapeake Bay was glass. No wind. It was so awesome. 30 miles an hour, stood up, one hand on the throttle, gloved fist in the air, doing my War Face.

Tell the truth...Did this include the mandatory 'War Cry'?!

·
Premium Member
768 Posts
Update

OK, headed out to the ocean today for a little fun in the sun and guess what happen?
I had a freakin blast!!!!!!! People love seeing the spark and comment about it, from people on fishing boats to 200ft yachts. It is awesome on gas!!! Did some wave jumping, stopped at a restaurant on the inter coastal and ate while talking to people about the ski. Then did some wave jumping and cruising along the beaches then back to the boat ramp and I didn't even break a half a tank :D
The weird thing is I didn't crack my hull, break my handle bars (I was riding with a passenger and still getting air off waves), no fuses blew or side cover fly off.
Had an awesome time and when I got home to clean I decided to remove the top for inspection and ya know what....no water inside.
I am beyond happy with my purchase :):D
One last thing, I work for a car dealer and we have a saying "Never buy the first year model". The first two years are always spent by the manufacture "Working out the bugs". I went against my own rule but with the knowledge I knew what I was getting into. So far I am a happy camper :cool:.

·
Registered
236 Posts
One last thing, I work for a car dealer and we have a saying "Never buy the first year model". The first two years are always spent by the manufacture "Working out the bugs". I went against my own rule but with the knowledge I knew what I was getting into. So far I am a happy camper :cool:.
Always was a "buy used and let the other guy eat the new cost". Until I saw and got my set of Sparks.

·
Registered
236 Posts
Thinking back, I found out about the Spark in early May from the Seadoo website. I was there doing research contemplating buying a pair of 2002 GTI LEs some guy was trying to sell for $6500. Wanted to learn about Seadoos...going with new Sparks for the price was a no brainer after that.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Just finished break-in an hour ago. Hit 67 kph (41 mph) on 60 hp 2-up. Today was the first time I went full throttle for more than a few seconds and I had a blast! Picking up the 90 ho 3-up next week (which my lovely wife has claimed as her own).

Looking forward to riding it! Uhm, the 3-up I mean...:)

·
Registered
13 Posts
Its amazing how light these are. I didn't even need to use a boat ramp...cant even tell the spark is behind the truck anyway. I used a trailer dolly and just rolled the thing down to the beach and set it in by myself. Try to do that with any other jet ski!!

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Well, I did a week's vacation on Lake Erie and here are my experiences:

Sherkston Shores is home to hundreds of ski's and 95% or more were Sea Doo's. Saw maybe 5 Yamaha's, nothing else.

The interest in my two Sparks was palpable

The ease of launching the Sparks vs full-size/weight ski's was remarkable (picture guys driving their trucks right into the water whereas I just got close and dragged the Sparks in. I helped a couple of guys re-load their larger ski's and it was a real effort. The only down-side to the Sparks is the waves were really throwing them around, but that became an advantage when getting them on/off trailer.

Buy heavy anchors! The 1.75 pound ones are useless!

Rode in pretty good chop with the non-recalled 2-up and had an absolute blast! I laughed watching a couple of really big ski's plow through the water without gaining any air at all! I could see the envious look on their faces when they saw me and guys with other light ski's (800 pounds or less) flying through the air.

My wife (140 pounds) took a friend (220 pounds) for a ride on the 3-up. Wife is new to the sport and the friend had never been on a ski, but they made out fine despite the odd 'tippy' moment.

Sadly, too rough to tube or water-ski but I am looking forward to trying!

Spent around $20 cdn on gas, had a great time and look forward to dropping the ski's back into Lake Ontario tomorrow!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts