SeaDoo Spark Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I have 4 sparks and we ride them like we stole them. Sometimes when a rookie is aboard bad things happen. Last week a rock on shore met the hill and knocked a 3" hole just below the trailer ring. My first and only disclaimer was to fix it cheap and strong and get back on the water. The method is effective but not intended to be invisible.

[/URL][/IMG]

First thing was to locate as much of the original hull material and expoxy it back into place. I used this as it specifies ABS as an material that it adheres to...

I used 80 grit sand paper to rough up the surface a bit. I cut a piece of aluminum as reinforced backing...

I mixed up some of the epoxy and epoxied the plate over the hole. I also used a cheap rivet gun to ensure that it would not move as it was not possible to clamp (here is where function over form comes into play)...

I then applied 3 layers of fiberglass cloth from small to large...

Once dry I applied Flex Seal. (I had a can, I do not think it makes any difference at this point)

Time to move to the outside of the hull. Unfortunately not all pieces were recovered so I have some fill to do...

I roughed it up a bit with 80 grit to knock down the edges and clean the surface, I then mixed up the epoxy and applied a first layer with the tool provided. First layer had a big air bubble...

Second layer filled in the voids...

I am sure that the final step of Flex Seal is the real difference makes so I applied to liberally!

Like I said, not pretty but a 47 MPH and from on top of the ski it is barely noticeable. It took about 1 hour over 3 days for drying time once I had the nose off. (I did not have to take the entire hull apart)

·
Registered
318 Posts
That is repairable but some donor material would be needed. I bought a damaged hull just in case of that sitiuation.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts