SeaDoo Spark Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The manual reverse is on back order for my 2-up. Going today to order my 3-up and it has neither IBR nor manual reverse.

Has anyone got manual reverse only? Can you let me know pros/cons as I need to make a decision...already decided against IBR.

Thanks!

·
Registered
236 Posts
I had same debate last month. Decided against because of cost and added mechanical that needs to be fixed. Read a lot on Sea Doo boat forums folks talking about how come their manual reverse doesnt fully raise and blocks nozzle, cable lever is too tight, can't raise lever, my cable broke...the manual reverse is not a brake and should not be used as such I've been told. All that and I decided no.

Sportbikes don't have reverse either. I decided to go slow around piers and docking.

·
Registered
1,027 Posts
I had same debate last month. Decided against because of cost and added mechanical that needs to be fixed. Read a lot on Sea Doo boat forums folks talking about how come their manual reverse doesnt fully raise and blocks nozzle, cable lever is too tight, can't raise lever, my cable broke...the manual reverse is not a brake and should not be used as such I've been told. All that and I decided no.

Sportbikes don't have reverse either. I decided to go slow around piers and docking.
how much was cost once you factored in everything?

·
Registered
236 Posts
how much was cost once you factored in everything?
Cost of the manual reverse kit + 3.5 hrs labor? It's $700. Too much for just a reverse feature. So for two Sparks I was looking at $1400 more dollars for another maintenance item....plus you have to drill a hole and seal it with RTV Silicone....not as clean an install as I would have liked or expected from a factory option.

I read that one guy on the interwb saved himself the labor costs and did the install himself but it took him all day. He talked about the hole drilling and not being provided a proper seal...just goo. my thoughts on that were RTV gets old, leaks, your boat sinks.

·
Registered
191 Posts
Just a note, I got this at my dealer while he was checking the computer ref :"backorder of Manual reverse"..

Not available for shipping (still) until 4 July '14 AT THE EARLIEST..

I canxd my backorder for mine and instead will remain careful around the docks, etc., I'm amazed at how fast the basic Spark stops by closing teh throttle anyway. And, I have the side scrapers and big orange "bumpers" just in case. They have already taken severalscuffs in the waves at the docks that the Spark didn't have to weather!

Also, seeing the install process, I too was wary of cutting/silicone/yada on a new machine...

6+ hours and other than the LH engine access cover braking threee tabs and the RR bumper scraper falling off 2x (others are fine), no problems (both will be warranty fix per dealer)...

·
Registered
91 Posts
I just got the manual reverse kit installed by my dealer a few days ago.

Here in Australia it cost me a bit over AU$600 for the kit and install.

I think it's a great add-on for those like me who purchased a Spark before the IBR models were available. It makes a massive difference when docking and it's great to have a bit more manoeuvrability.

But if you have the option of going with IBR from the start, you should probably consider that.

The reverse kit is cool though, and I'd recommend it for other non-IBR Spark owners.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I have the manual revese and installed it myself! No big deal. LOVE IT! Way better option then the electronic headaches with IBR. Also very simple mechanical system that seems bullet proof. Also fuctions great and raises well above the nozzle.

·
Registered
274 Posts
just got done the reverse install myself, not a big deal, kit says it takes 3.5 hrs, it took me about 4.5hrs just taking easy with a couple of beers, there wasn't any sealant used what so ever! just a rubber seal on the cable, the same type used on pretty well every steering cable and reverse cable since about forever on seadoo products both pwc's and boats!! anyone having an issue with drilling the hole in the hull about not sure what you are doing wrong because all you have to do is drill a 1/2 inch hole inside of the housing where the cable comes through the hull and it in itself is about a half inch hole so not too sure how any one could screw that one up?? as for it not looking like a factory install when done...it looks as good as anything could look. I have a 3 seater with ibr for the wife and mine is a 2 seater plain because I didn't want the ibr incase I tail landed the spark so I just installed the manual reverse on mine, it wasn't an issue about price, but it was likely about $500 cheaper than having Ibr (Ibr does work pretty nice though, the wife loves it, I just don't need it!) Next reverse install if I had to do another would likely take about 3 hours.

·
Registered
337 Posts
you cant compare the $700 for Manual reverse to IBR because you cant retro fit IBR after purchase like you can MR....

·
Registered
167 Posts
I personally love my Ibr it save me twice so far when I needed to stop ASAP. To be honest I was following way to close but still... It saved me

·
Registered
65 Posts
Got mine for 275 had it for a couple of months and just too lazy to put it on. I figure I would do it this winter. And maybe right at the first of the year when I change the oil.

·
Registered
274 Posts
I personally love my Ibr it save me twice so far when I needed to stop ASAP. To be honest I was following way to close but still... It saved me
Ibr is awesome, had it on the wife's machine, but I opted out on mine and put manual on it myself, so I did it for cost and didn't think i needed the convince of Ibr, I used my manual reverse as a brake all the time, it takes a little more thinking about what you have to do and you modulate how much braking you want with how far the lever is pulled and how much throttle is applied, not nearly as simple as Ibr but still effective and a lot better than not having reverse at all, the one thing I did find was better about the manual reverse was if you have the handle bars turned in reverse and rev the engine if someone is close enough you can spray them!! lol, try it with Ibr; the throttle is limited so you can't do it, you have to practise it though because if you don't have your balance right it makes it really easy to tip the machine, on a 2up anyways! I sold both of mine and ordered two new ones, since the only way you can get Vts is with Ibr both will have it this time!

·
Registered
47 Posts
I love my IBR. Anyone that says they don't see the use for it hasn't rode one with it. Sure it isn't a required option but it works so well, and makes life easier.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hello
I just got mine installed and never managed to reverse in a straight line, the pwc starts to turn (going backwards) almost immediately. Does this happens to all or the reverse kit was not installed properly?

Thanks.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Hello
I just got mine installed and never managed to reverse in a straight line, the pwc starts to turn (going backwards) almost immediately. Does this happens to all or the reverse kit was not installed properly?

Thanks.
In reverse you will go the opposite way to witch you turn the steering. Its a skill to practice.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts