SeaDoo Spark Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just sucked out some oil on my first change at 60 hours and saw a film of tiny metal particles. Was quite obvious to see with the flash light. Havent had it on my bikes. Did anyone have the same? Ill cut open the filter and see if there is more.
Thx

·
Registered
115 Posts
I had the first oil change at about 40 hrs and i saw more metal shavings than i expected. Post a picture and i can compare it to how mine looked.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
81 Posts
Myself and a couple other guys on this site and the "hulk" have been preaching about the need to change the oil or at least the filter earlier than stated by BRP. I changed at 10 hrs and found shavings and gasket material.

Attachments

·
Registered
516 Posts
Changing the oil earlier isn't going to change metal shavings in the oil. They are going to be there if you change it at 10 or if you change it at 100. The filter is doing its job by catching it. Judging by those pictures I wouldn't be too concerned. I've seen a lot worse in most car engine oil filters I've changed.

·
Registered
516 Posts
I'm a mechanic for an automotive dealer. All of our vehicles have a service interval of a minimum of 200 hours, some on conventional oil. That doesn't even include idle time. The spark being a four stroke isn't much unlike a car. I would be concerned if they couldn't at least hit the 100 hour mark.

·
Registered
165 Posts
I'm a mechanic for an automotive dealer. All of our vehicles have a service interval of a minimum of 200 hours, some on conventional oil. That doesn't even include idle time. The spark being a four stroke isn't much unlike a car. I would be concerned if they couldn't at least hit the 100 hour mark.

That is totally true, but most drivers don't constantly hold their engines at 6-7000 rpm for hours every day

·
Registered
516 Posts
True but those running conditions are what it was designed to run. Some would argue that an automotive engine has a tougher life. Below zero starts, extended idling etc. But for argument sake let's say the spark engine has a tougher life, I would still expect it to get at least half the oil life of an automotive engine. Plus the spark is running synthetic.

·
Registered
319 Posts
Ive found the first oil filters are loaded with debris. The second ones are much less. The reason to get the breakin oil out asap is to remove the fine suspended abrasives that are smaller than the filter can handle. Thats what kills longevity in engines. The trucking industry knows all to well its the super small stuff that needs to be dealt with . Aux fine filtration units and magnets get material that ends up in the crank pins due to centrifical filtation caused by the design and high rpm of small engines. If it gets to much it can throw the crank out of balance. Not an issue with automotive engines. I will see if I can dig up some pics of some of the examples we found .

·
Registered
31 Posts
Me too, during my first changing oïl i see the same thing, tiny metal particules, i change it at 12 hours, after honing during 7hours, like recommanded my dealer, i think that waiting to 50 hours before changing oïl is to much, mostly for a new engine, i ever see this in Husqvarna 410 Te motorbike, but there isn't oïl filter on it just a strainer, and i had think that "i'm like a gold digger on river, but in oïl(Lol)...

·
Registered
516 Posts
Me too, during my first changing oïl i see the same thing, tiny metal particules, i change it at 12 hours, after honing during 7hours, like recommanded my dealer, i think that waiting to 50 hours before changing oïl is to much, mostly for a new engine, i ever see this in Husqvarna 410 Te motorbike, but there isn't oïl filter on it just a strainer, and i had think that "i'm like a gold digger on river, but in oïl(Lol)...

50 hours? They recommend oil changes at 100 hours. The 50 hour maintenance schedule is just for an inspection, no oil change. I just did my first oil change on my two at 50 hours only because it had been a year otherwise they would have waited. I didn't see anything to crazy in the oil. Metal filings is pretty normal for any engine. Most automotive engines on the road right now are scheduled for oil changes around the 500 hour mark in sure a seadoo can last a season or 100 hours.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts