SeaDoo Spark Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Been on this forum for a month now. Also reading a lot about BRP Ski-Doos and their Maverick / Commander side by sides.

They all use some variation of the Rotax engine. Some of the more mature product lines of BRP have 100HP+ engines and larger fuel tanks.

With space in our Sparks for a larger tank and HP on tap via ECU programming, I predict we will see 100HP+ Sparks with 10 gallon tanks from BRP next 2015.

Whatcha tink??

·
Registered
318 Posts
I dont think they will change anything but make a few updates to some troublesome plastic parts. Adding a bigger tank equals added weight which goes against the whole design of the machine. Adding more power for top end would take it into the speed range where you need a bigger/longer hull to handle the rougher water which again against the design.
The only thing I would change is get rid of the 60hp map and make them all with a training(30mph limit), economy and sport mode. I would also like to see the fuel tank moved forward about 6 inches to get more nose weight or make it with adjustable mounts.

·
Registered
233 Posts
I'm not sure there is a huge need to update the Spark right now, and I agree with @wizzer on his reasons why various updates just wouldn't work for the Spark. A bit further in the future there will be some technological advances that they can then update the Spark with, but until then I think they will leave it the way it is.

·
Registered
191 Posts
They will want to keep the "price point" of $4999, thus, making changes other than troublesome parts (LH access panel, handlebars, rerouting the wires in the engine compartment, etc) emphais (marketing major speaking here :) will be on accessories and (continuing) generating market share.

I expect to also see more HO units produced which seem to be VERY (though I love my 60 horse Sparky, it's great on my small lake (40 mph speed limit) and the waves of the Colunbia River often don't allow greater speeds on such a small machine) popular and generate a bigger markup.

Would like to (much like the sleeze in the car business) see the dealers get a bit more standardized in the "freight/assembly" BS and and have that listed on the factory MSRP (perhaps $199 or whatnot) so the consumer isn't so stickershocked. Take a lesson Lee Iaacoca learned in 1980~. Too mcuh nickel and dime and consumers walkout a bit shocked vice the ad that got them in to the dealer!

Rant off! :)

·
Registered
81 Posts
I reckon the 60hp will be gone and there may be an X version with the usual X features with more hp ...

·
Registered
337 Posts
I agree with Bug Stomper, I think they will bring out higher powered variants. They can still keep the original price point, no one is saying they have to do away with the 60 and the 90, its simply an ECU factory tune so they dont incur any additional cost regardless.

A larger engine would actually allow them to offer 2 new flavors of tune... Maybe like slasher says they will call it the Spark X?

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I think you can still keep the same price point of $4999 (which doesn't exist outside the USA) but offer a different ECU mapping and a slightly larger fuel tank as the tank seems to be a popular item of discussion for the Spark on the Interweb. Wasn't thinking a 20 gallon but like a 8-10 Gal maybe and beat the AM manuf to the punch. Sure you'll have the 2015 demand for the Spark generated by the out of stock inventory and the after summer crowd that saw them during the 2014 summer season. But I would think an ECU update at the lease would be needed to keep customers talking. What does it say about your product if EVERYONE is flashing your factory ECU mapping the first year of first few months of ownership.

·
Registered
247 Posts
I think they could add a Limited edition ( XP-L) that would-
1- Have a better pump and more HP tune to turn a solid 55 MPH
2- 10 Gallon tank to go with the extra power.
3- Somewhat flatter/wider seat like the 96 XP- I hate the top curve on the seat because my tailbone hurts after a while. (Comes from having a small ass) Trying Airhawk,s to solve this?

·
Registered
1,027 Posts
I think they could add a Limited edition ( XP-L) that would-
1- Have a better pump and more HP tune to turn a solid 55 MPH
2- 10 Gallon tank to go with the extra power.
3- Somewhat flatter/wider seat like the 96 XP- I hate the top curve on the seat because my tailbone hurts after a while. (Comes from having a small ass) Trying Airhawk,s to solve this?
how much more hp do you think is really needed at the least and also at the most

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
The slippery slope too is you don't want a entry Sea Doo to start bumping up against the specs of say the GTS/GTI line. Because then it begs the question do you need the GTS but keep the GTI line. Afterall the GTS is just a speced down GTI. I wonder if BRP website will have to move the "Best Selling PWC" moniker

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
how much more hp do you think is really needed at the least and also at the most
I'd say not more than a 100hp. Most of BRPs other Rotax products like Ski Doos and ATVs 4 wheelers are no higher that this. If BRP could certify than 109HP or similar as what's being mapped by Vtech and could offer that in factory form, I'm sure they would use that fact as a great marketing tool. "Look, you don't have to mess with the mapping. We offer you the best realiable HP yada yada something like that. But you would need something low as well in the HP range for new customers. Don't want to scare them away with 250 HP Sparks.

·
Registered
36 Posts
It is interesting that the only difference between the 60hp and the 90hp is the ecu tune. and with vtech making it cheaper to tune the ecu instead of buying the 90 in the first place. I would believe that there are workers at seadoo's r&d that are being questioned how vtech could so easily change the ecu mapping in the first place...

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter #17 (Edited)
It is interesting that the only difference between the 60hp and the 90hp is the ecu tune. and with vtech making it cheaper to tune the ecu instead of buying the 90 in the first place. I would believe that there are workers at seadoo's r&d that are being questioned how vtech could so easily change the ecu mapping in the first place...
Exactly. Why buy a 90 was my thought when I put my money down. Esp when later I can get a device to activate 90 and possibly higher later for try-outs. Factory locked ECU would be a really dick move. Don't know how long Vtech been around but they remap when other aftermarket replace ECU.

·
Registered
81 Posts
V tech have been around for a while , I have delt with J direct and spend a bit of time with Chris from V tech Australia ...

Their tunes a tested hard and have unlocked most of the ECU , they are always changing and trying new things ..

I wouldnt be worried at all .....

·
Registered
247 Posts
I think BRP will get it to 55 Pretty soon and leave it there as I feel that's all you really need to get a lot of 65 MPH-80 MPH to convert especially as gas prices increase.

I was the only Spark on the River last weekend and pulled up to a group of Musclecraft , idled down and then Hit the throttle and the Spark Jumped 3 Times in the air before it settled in for the Take Off!!! They ran the other way? LOL

·
Registered
27 Posts
Ive heard from a brp test rider the 2015 sparks are suppose to be way better then these ones..the handling an power are gonna be better..he loves the 2015s.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts