SeaDoo Spark Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone! I recently got myself a spark for some filming sharks out here in California. Everything has been going great, but i accidentally got the rope I use to tow shark bait behind my ski sucked into the impeller. The ski shut down right away. I got towed back into shore from 10 miles out ( luckily I have the towboat us membership!). I took it home and managed to cut out the rope from the drive shaft I believe it is? The pole the connects to the impeller ( I am working on my mechanical skills). Anyways, I got that all cleared from the rope and tried starting the ski. The electrical display comes on and the ski tries to start but shuts down after two seconds. Any idea what the problem could be ? Could it be a broken wear ring?

Thank you for any information or insight you can provide!! Trying to fix this myself before taking it in.

Bryce

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I took the top of the ski to take the intake grate off. When the top was off I sprayed some water on it to clear any little bits of dirt from around the holes where the bolts go back in. I forgot the main wire harness was detached and some water may have hit that, but certainly nothing significant. That harness was hanging under the top of the ski, covered for the most part. If any water hit it, it wouldn't have been much. Could just a little water on that be the cause of it failing to start?

Thank you for the info so far guys, really appreciate it.

·
Registered
78 Posts
I was reading about how water can get into the engine when being towed. Could this be a possibility?

Yes, that's a definite possibility. Take the spark plugs out and see if there's any water in the cylinders. Try cranking without the plugs in. If there is water in there, crank until it's dried out. Then replace the plugs and try starting.

If it looks like it'll start and run, turn it off and change the oil. Then take it out on the water and run it like you stole it for about 30 to 45 minutes, making hard turns and quick accelerations to help dislodge any water and get the engine really hot to help burn off anything bad.

I've flooded my PWC's many times and always got them running again.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Ok, so I just took out the spark plugs. I looked down into where the spark plugs were and it looks damp down there with water droplets. It's not like a puddle of water down there but certainly liquid down there. Is that normal? I attached the harness and cranked the engine a few times. How long should I crank the engine or how many times?

Thanks again for the help fellas! I live in California but am actually moving out to San Antonio in January ! haha

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
UPDATE: I put the spark plugs back in, and started her up! She started !!! wohooo!!!! Going to change the oil and everything now. I can't thank you guys enough for the assistance ! Would bring y'all some ice cream and cookies if I could haha

·
Registered
196 Posts
UPDATE: I put the spark plugs back in, and started her up! She started !!! wohooo!!!! Going to change the oil and everything now. I can't thank you guys enough for the assistance ! Would bring y'all some ice cream and cookies if I could haha
I dont mind waiting for january to come around for my ice cream and cookies, that will be an easy 2-3hr drive lol
glad it worked

·
Registered
78 Posts
Water doesn't compress so if there's any in the cylinders the pistons will lock. Sounds like you got it back to semi-normal. Just watch for any corrosion from the salt water - maybe change the oil a second time after another 10 hours to be safe. Also, check the coolant and make sure it isn't contaminated (it shouldn't be because it's a closed system, but as long as your looking at stuff...).

Then drive the heck out of it!!

And if you post the shark videos, let us know.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Got the oil changed and will be taking it out tomorrow and running it real good. I have worked with wild life my entire life and have up until recently been filming sharks and other oceanic wild life from my buddies jetski. It was about time I got my own. Here is a video of a good size seven gill shark and also my channel. Since I have my own ski now, I have been getting a lot of mako shark and blue shark action since I can get out into deeper water.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JLzj-EUZ428

Much better video to come this summer!

·
Registered
379 Posts
Got the oil changed and will be taking it out tomorrow and running it real good. I have worked with wild life my entire life and have up until recently been filming sharks and other oceanic wild life from my buddies jetski. It was about time I got my own. Here is a video of a good size seven gill shark and also my channel. Since I have my own ski now, I have been getting a lot of mako shark and blue shark action since I can get out into deeper water.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JLzj-EUZ428

Much better video to come this summer!

Nice Video
Some Whales to watch

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QHn3pxdsAQs

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.