SeaDoo Spark Forum banner

21 - 40 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
307 Posts
I'd say the reason you haven't 'convinced' anyone is because as horrible and unfortunate as your problem is, so far it looks like only 1 other person here has experienced the same issue.
My Spark is 2 and a half years old and hit 75 hours on the weekend and I've had zero problems.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I have never had to use the warranty on mine, which is already up. I have personally seen these engines with 1300 real hours on them. I was very impressed. Not to say that one of these engines could not be a lemon.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Lemon

From most of the responses I have recieved the Spark seems to have a very reliable engine. But I watch million dollar NASCAR engines blow up every Sunday. My biggest complaint is BRP denied my claim based on a picture. First they said hydro lock then they said it was because of the new hull. If there is someone on this forum that can look at the outside of an internally lubricated engine of any kind and determine what caused the failure please educate me. Maybe they do have a good product but if there product fails they do not stand behind there warranty.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I have 180 hours on one of my skis and I beat the absolute sh*t out of it. wave jumping/ WOT for long periods of time and lack of load on the engine and yet myself and the other people I ride with have had only user created issues. 9/10 when I hear about issues with this ski, it's user error. My guess is your oil level was low. It's sucks I'm sure, but I would consider that possibly something got overlooked during your hull swap. I am not surprised that BRP and the dealer doesn't want to touch it either, it's literally had every component removed by the owner and relocated to a new hull. It's a sucky situation and I hope you throw another engine in it and start riding again but in this case I wouldn't blame BRP. Cheers.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I have 180 hours on one of my skis and I beat the absolute sh*t out of it. wave jumping/ WOT for long periods of time and lack of load on the engine and yet myself and the other people I ride with have had only user created issues. 9/10 when I hear about issues with this ski, it's user error. My guess is your oil level was low. It's sucks I'm sure, but I would consider that possibly something got overlooked during your hull swap. I am not surprised that BRP and the dealer doesn't want to touch it either, it's literally had every component removed by the owner and relocated to a new hull. It's a sucky situation and I hope you throw another engine in it and start riding again but in this case I wouldn't blame BRP. Cheers.
Well this POS ran pretty good in 2018 with the new motor. I still will never buy another Seadoo product because they never properly inspected the engine on my Spark. Not sure if they were just lazy or arrogant but this post has 11,000 views and that makes me happy.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Mine has been fairly trouble free with minimal maintenance for the past 2 years with the exception of the coolant leak issue that was fixed under warranty when I had them perform the first oil change on it.

I still have 1 more year left on my warranty as Seadoo was running a 3 year warranty promo when I bought mine..............hoping I dont have to use it.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Mine blew up too, the con rod went through the block. It doesn't bother me much though because it blew up on the previous owner. I bought it blown up for $500 and am now putting it back together. If it blows up again, no big deal, at least I had fun with it and it didn't cost much. I can say that I sure wouldn't buy one new, based on all the bad news I hear about them.

Attachments

·
Registered
307 Posts
I can say that I sure wouldn't buy one new, based on all the bad news I hear about them.
what bad things?
there are only 3 people here who have had their engines blow as far as I can see.
only other main problem is people's PTO going.
Mine is nearly 4 years old and no problems.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Buddy of mine had his blow up too. Around 80 hours on the machine. Same deal, rod came through the side of the block.

Worst of all, Seadoo here in Canada wants $8,999.99 plus taxes and shipping and handling for a new engine. The fact you can buy a new spark for that much says a lot.
Insurance won't cover mechanical damage like that, so can't claim it before anyone asks.

Still looking for a decent running engine if anyone knows of one.

·
Registered
318 Posts
In general you need about 10 percent failure rate or higher to require something to be recalled for bad design. I would say the steering bars may have met that criteria but thats more a safety issue . Engines would need several thousands to meet that criteria . The cause of the failures would also have to be determined by critical analysis . Ive dealt with hundreds of cronic engine issues in my career and I can tell you that determining the actual cause and effect of a major failure is very difficult. BRP should have done much more investigating but the OP also should not have touched the machine while under warranty as its all the excuse they needed to deny assistance.
Watercraft are kind of a weird thing because when you have an issue and riding season is very limited in most places emotions tend to rise. If they dealers had a loaner program for warranty repairs or at least could do repairs in days instead of months a lot of hostility could be avoided. I feel a dealer should stock every single part of every machine just to become a dealer and the manufacturer should be able to resupply all parts within 2 days before being allowed to sell any product.
Im not sure if any of you are aware of the big Kia engine failure debockle going on but my buddy has been without his 2018 KIA for 3 months now waiting on a recalled engine. Kia gave him a new car as a loaner until june when they can instal a replacement engine. They are doing 4 engines a week at my local dealer and thats how far behind they are. At least they are stepping up to the plate and doing whats right. I would like to see BRP do thing s like this for customers .

·
Registered
20 Posts
In general you need about 10 percent failure rate or higher to require something to be recalled for bad design. I would say the steering bars may have met that criteria but thats more a safety issue . Engines would need several thousands to meet that criteria . The cause of the failures would also have to be determined by critical analysis . Ive dealt with hundreds of cronic engine issues in my career and I can tell you that determining the actual cause and effect of a major failure is very difficult. BRP should have done much more investigating but the OP also should not have touched the machine while under warranty as its all the excuse they needed to deny assistance.
Watercraft are kind of a weird thing because when you have an issue and riding season is very limited in most places emotions tend to rise. If they dealers had a loaner program for warranty repairs or at least could do repairs in days instead of months a lot of hostility could be avoided. I feel a dealer should stock every single part of every machine just to become a dealer and the manufacturer should be able to resupply all parts within 2 days before being allowed to sell any product.
Im not sure if any of you are aware of the big Kia engine failure debockle going on but my buddy has been without his 2018 KIA for 3 months now waiting on a recalled engine. Kia gave him a new car as a loaner until june when they can instal a replacement engine. They are doing 4 engines a week at my local dealer and thats how far behind they are. At least they are stepping up to the plate and doing whats right. I would like to see BRP do thing s like this for customers .
Wizzer you are missing the point completely. I don't think anyone can argue the 900 HO motor is a very solid motor with very few problems. The problem is when a problem does occur they will not honor their warranty. Kia is replacing the engine and giving him a loaner. Seadoo never even properly inspected my engine and I proved it was not hydrolock with pictures. I'm fortunate that I was able to replace the engine myself because it would have been cheaper to buy a new Spark than have Seadoo replace the engine. What a joke!

·
Registered
54 Posts
Mate your whole story is fishy.

1. You took a pic to diagnose your ski with seadoo.
2. You didn’t follow correct warranty procedures.
3. you jumped the gun on pulling the engine out for rebuild like you said.

At the end of the day you’re to blame for the outcome by touching the product yourself that’s still under warranty regardless of what “seadoo” has said.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
16 Posts
Sorry you’ve had a **** time.

Now, I can’t get into specifics here, because technically it voids the deal... but... I had a warranty issue. The dealership I deal with was great. Had me back on the water in 24hours. I contacted BRP through social media anyway because that issue could have killed me (I ride in dangerous water). Dangerous water is why I ride a new ski and not a $500 Craigslist 2 smoke.

Again, can’t get into specifics, but I sent them a polite, but strong message clearly laying out the situation. I wasn’t even out for compensation, I wanted to make them aware of a safety issue. They compensated me anyway.

Not sure if your dealer sucks or if you did something wrong, but I got a great experience from them.

Now, After nearly 18 months of slagging sea doo online, maybe approaching one of the other manufacturers to pay you for your time wouldn’t be a bad idea.

Sorry about your luck.

·
Registered
84 Posts
If happened as you said real bad luck. On a brand new ski and with seadoo apparently only looking at pics making unfounded claims to deny the work....I know it is usually overstated but I would have been forced to take legal action.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Mate your whole story is fishy.

1. You took a pic to diagnose your ski with seadoo.
2. You didn’t follow correct warranty procedures.
3. you jumped the gun on pulling the engine out for rebuild like you said.

At the end of the day you’re to blame for the outcome by touching the product yourself that’s still under warranty regardless of what “seadoo” has said.

Seadoo had my Spark for one month and all they did was take the cover off and said it was hydro locked. I pulled the motor to properly diagnose. They never did anything. Read the whole thread.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Sorry you’ve had a **** time.

Now, I can’t get into specifics here, because technically it voids the deal... but... I had a warranty issue. The dealership I deal with was great. Had me back on the water in 24hours. I contacted BRP through social media anyway because that issue could have killed me (I ride in dangerous water). Dangerous water is why I ride a new ski and not a $500 Craigslist 2 smoke.

Again, can’t get into specifics, but I sent them a polite, but strong message clearly laying out the situation. I wasn’t even out for compensation, I wanted to make them aware of a safety issue. They compensated me anyway.

Not sure if your dealer sucks or if you did something wrong, but I got a great experience from them.

Now, After nearly 18 months of slagging sea doo online, maybe approaching one of the other manufacturers to pay you for your time wouldn’t be a bad idea.

Sorry about your luck.
Thanks Kevy,

I tried contacting BRP with no luck. They wouldn't even talk to me. My Dealer never went out of there way to help which would have been nice.

·
Registered
20 Posts
If happened as you said real bad luck. On a brand new ski and with seadoo apparently only looking at pics making unfounded claims to deny the work....I know it is usually overstated but I would have been forced to take legal action.
Gibbs,

I had the motor rebuilt for about $2500 and it took me one day to install. About half the cost of an Attorney.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Broken drive shaft at 39 Hours. Second broken wear ring at 40 hours. But the wear ring is on me, I did suck up a pebble. What a POS.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Broken drive shaft at 39 Hours. Second broken wear ring at 40 hours. But the wear ring is on me, I did suck up a pebble. What a POS.

All skis come with plastic wear rings... it saves your impeller. Sounds like you know nothing about jet skis and have your ins to try tarnish the seadoo brand

·
Registered
20 Posts
All skis come with plastic wear rings... it saves your impeller. Sounds like you know nothing about jet skis and have your ins to try tarnish the seadoo brand

Since I have completely rebuilt this Spark twice I would say I know quite a bit about them. You are correct about my feelings about the Seadoo brand however. 1. They do not honor their warranty. 2. Plastic Hulls with vin numbers is idiotic. 3. The purchase price of a new Spark motor is the same price as a new Spark. 4. They have an oil consumption problem in some motors. 5. They have a drive shaft issue on some Sparks. Since I have had all of these problems with my POS Spark I don't have any issue tarnishing BRP's brand.

So anyway my Spark only has 41 hours on it in three seasons. I can't wait to see what breaks next year.

21 - 40 of 45 Posts