SeaDoo Spark Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone tried installing the new style crank in an older engine (2014). I know the new style crank is 2 piece utilizing the same pto cover and seals, but with a shorter drive shaft ( i assume shorter ) has a different p/n than the 2014. How are the new style crank stub and drive shafts lasting ? From what i have been reading the shaft failure grumblings have stopped after model year 2017/18. Our ski is a 2014 still looks new and only has 52 hours on it, my feel is throw a new style crank at it. If i do the work myself i figure i can get out of this for a couple G’s. Anyone done this?

·
Registered
13 Posts
Has anyone tried installing the new style crank in an older engine (2014). I know the new style crank is 2 piece utilizing the same pto cover and seals, but with a shorter drive shaft ( i assume shorter ) has a different p/n than the 2014. How are the new style crank stub and drive shafts lasting ? From what i have been reading the shaft failure grumblings have stopped after model year 2017/18. Our ski is a 2014 still looks new and only has 52 hours on it, my feel is throw a new style crank at it. If i do the work myself i figure i can get out of this for a couple G’s. Anyone done this?
Hey mate, I also have a 2014 with shot pto splines. haven't done it yet ( as we're still in covid lock down ) but yeh thats what our seadoo dealer was suggesting we do.

Personally I think Seadoo should extend warrantee to cover these as they clearly are failing early due to poor design and costing owners way too much to repair due to... poor design. Something they obviously realised when they changed the design in 2016. Dunno what your consumer law is like in the states. Im def going to start there before I start shelling out stupid coin to fix what is their bad. And 2k to fix it yourself is insane on 52 hr old ski.

FYI there is a guy in Christchurch NZ who will machine down your 2014 shaft to receive the 2017 pto for 500NZD. might be worth the freight, or find a local engineer who will do the same for you. cheaper than a new shaft. www.mikephillipsjetskis.co.nz

·
Registered
4 Posts
need to take out the crankshaft. remove the old sleeve with heat and high presume pump. them made srew in the crankshaft and instala the new sleeve like the one use in the new models. work like a charm

Attachments

1 - 4 of 4 Posts