SeaDoo Spark Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Sparks start in what they call "neutral". You must understand that when you start a spark in "neutral" the pump is still engaged to the engine and is pumping water out the back of the ski but that water thrust that would start moving you forward is redirected downward by the IBR plate(located behind the pump nozzle). This downward thrust will stir up debris(sand, rock, etc.) and suck it into the pump intake with the usually instantaneous destruction of the factory plastic wear ring.

So, if you have IBR, Seadoo's recommendation of starting in at least 3' of water is critically important!! Also, using the brake in shallow water is even move prone to stir up debris into your pump intake with the same results.

I'll bet wear ring issues are far more prominent with IBR equipped Sparks as opposed to those that do not have IBR......?

Lake guys should have no issues if you push off into deep water before starting but river guys will have an more of an issue with this.

As an example, I live on a river with a high current so it's wise to start a boat or ski to test it before pushing out into deeper water in case it does not start, in which case you would be swept down river quite a way before you could get back to shore in the event of a no start.

I have two possible routes to take at this point:

1) Figure out how to get the IBR to start in forward(which I don't think is
possible), or

2) Remove the IBR setup completely and sell it.

IBR was a $700 option and I love the braking action but can not have it starting in neutral due to potential pump damage. I've had no problems over the past 30 years with starting skis in reasonably shallow water at idle, just to check they start and never failed a wear ring due to this procedure.

I have stainless wear rings on order which should help a bit but it looks like if there is no way to start in forward, I'll have two complete, band new IBR takeoffs to sell.

·
Registered
274 Posts
I am guessing that you must leave your seadoo in the water all the time, other wise I would suggest starting it on the trailer before you back it in, I would be inclined to look into a lift or a drive on dock because they really aren't meant to be left in the water for long periods of time.

have you tried to tap the throttle right away after they start to put it in forward?

a stainless wear ring may help your wear ring issue but its not going to stop the stuff from getting in there in the first place, the wear ring is whats saving your impeller, with a stainless wear ring there is no give and it may bend your impeller. you could likely replace 3 or more wear rings for what one impeller costs and you don't need any special tools to change a wear ring, but an impeller you will need a spline tool.

·
Registered
916 Posts
Good advice. I think my Marina's water is about 3' deep. I think I'll tap the gas as soon as I start it to get the IBR up. Maybe I'll practice not using the brake when I come back too haha. I only got IBR because it was the last Spark they had and it came with it but when I dock it makes thing so much easier, especially since I'm a newbie. Great info. Thanks!!

·
Registered
224 Posts
If you are breaking wear rings, getting the stainless ones will probably start trashing your impeller?

What about pushing out to deeper water and dropping anchor?

·
Registered
916 Posts
If my wear ring ever breaks I want a stainless one too but ya, good question about it trashing the impeller.

where my marina is a fork lift drops you into the water and its 3' for about a half mile. lol.

·
Registered
916 Posts
nope, all kinds of boats. it may be 4' i can see to the bottom in most places of it. I can't complain. Its $160 a month inc. tax where most marinas in Miami are about $250-300 for a jetski and booked solid. I got in to this one after 3 months of trying and it happens to be the closest one to me and pretty popular :) close to the inlet to the ocean :)

My Marina...

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for all the advice! The quick trailer start works good to put my mind at ease. Only way to get to guaranteed deep water before starting(due to the river current) would be to paddle out. Swimming the machines out is a no go due to current and water temp at certain times of the year. Any ideas on a collapsible paddle and method of securement/storage?

IBR's are coming off both machines, I have removed all external parts already and will pull all internal parts the first time I pull the top for service.

I understand the negatives with the non-sacrificial stainless steel wear rings, but until someone comes up with a stronger, less brittle plastic wear ring, I'll have to run the risk with the stainless and keep spare propellers on hand as well.

·
Registered
224 Posts
Wow, that seems really expensive way to go. Props are around $250 each, aren't they? Are you riding where other PWC riders go? What do they do?

·
Registered
236 Posts
The IBR would do that wouldn't it. Create a mini sand/mud/rock/mulch/muck storm cloud right beneath for your intake crate to suck on. Nice. >:D

Glad i'm bare bones. I've got enough weeds and branches and mulch muck and Jelly Nettles for my Spark to suck in the Chesapeake Bay already.

·
Registered
274 Posts
the potential to damage the impeller is more with a stainless wearing than a plastic one because where a plastic one "gives" or breaks apart a stainless one won't and it will transfer that energy to the impeller so what ever is weaker will bend or break first, the wear ring is the fuse-able link, easy and cheap to replace a plastic one, harder and more expensive to change an impeller!

whats happening on the sparks with wear rings exploding apart is because previous wear rings were pressed inside the pump, there isn't a pump around the wear ring to keep it together, maybe they will make a thicker stronger plastic wear ring but it won't prevent debris from damaging it any different than the one they have now

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Wow, that seems really expensive way to go. Props are around $250 each, aren't they? Are you riding where other PWC riders go? What do they do?
I wish! Canadian sub-arctic, Mackenzie River.....That's the delema. I'll try throwing money at it and see where that gets me.:(

I'd really like to know if anyone carries a collapsible paddle and if so how to stow it. I think thats my best bet for this situation.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Whats happening on the sparks with wear rings exploding apart is because previous wear rings were pressed inside the pump, there isn't a pump around the wear ring to keep it together, maybe they will make a thicker stronger plastic wear ring but it won't prevent debris from damaging it any different than the one they have now
Yup, I think the correct fix would be a stainless wear ring sleeved or lined with a replaceable plastic or HDPE insert. That way the sacrificial liner would give and you would loose speed and efficiency, but still have a decent amount of thrust to get home.

I think I'll try wrapping/encasing a factory plastic wear ring in fibreglass and see how that goes. Plastic will shatter but fibreglass wrap should keep it basically in one piece to maintain a decent amount of limp home thrust.

As it stands, the factory plastic wear ring takes one hit and you can barely move. Put some current or substantial distance into the equation and your not getting back home.

·
Registered
916 Posts
Mitch get boatUS if they service your area. It's like triple a for boats.

Wrench you said easier to change a wear ring and harder to change an impeller. You don't have to remove the impeller to change the wear ring?

·
Registered
133 Posts
I wish! Canadian sub-arctic, Mackenzie River.....That's the delema. I'll try throwing money at it and see where that gets me.:(

I'd really like to know if anyone carries a collapsible paddle and if so how to stow it. I think thats my best bet for this situation.

Hi Mitch,

Canadian Tire carries a small collapsible paddle for $20. It fits perfectly within the front storage bin. I'm also carrying the orange bumpers, a towline and have all kinds of room to spare!

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Hi Mitch,

Canadian Tire carries a small collapsible paddle for $20. It fits perfectly within the front storage bin. I'm also carrying the orange bumpers, a towline and have all kinds of room to spare!

Will do, thats what I was after! Thanks!

·
Registered
916 Posts
Lol. Turn the engine off in calm water and try paddling with the emergency paddle. I did for 5 min and didnt move at all. You def want a good towing service membership :) Id return my emergency paddle if i thought i may not need it for something else... like retrieving my visor when it blows off my head into the water :) good luck :)

1 - 20 of 27 Posts