SeaDoo Spark Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I recently purchased a 2015 Spark 3UP on June 6th. Unfortunately, I have yet to take it out due to work and weather conditions in my area. It looks like this coming weekend will shape up to be my first outing. With that said, I decided to get ahead and start prepping everything. However, upon checking the oil level I found that there is none. The engine was level when I checked it, and I tilted it back and forth to see if maybe the level is just really low. Alas, not a drop appeared.

I contacted the dealer who sold me the Spark and they have asked me to bring it in. Naturally, I will be taking it back since I just bought it and it's under warranty, but I have great concern regarding the potential damage done to the engine. I recall them starting the engine twice for me when I bought it. First, when they prepped it, and second when I picked it up and I did my walk-around.

I use to work in the automotive field and am very aware of the number of people who drive around with low oil levels. For the ones who didn't destroy their engine we topped them off and they continued to run. With that said, I have no idea how long that may have been. There is no telling how much damage may have been done to the engines for the time in which they were low on oil (aside from disassembling the engine). However, I have no doubt they severally diminished the longevity of the engine.

My dilemma is in how to approach the situation with my dealer.

Option 1: The dealer tops off the oil and leaves it at that.

Considering the engine has about an hour of run-time on it, this could be a big problem. For all I know the engine ran the entire time like this. I won't know the extent of the damage until the engine dies on me one day due to premature engine wear, the result of the low oil at purchase. If I chose this option then the only way for me to CYA myself is to have the dealer acknowledge the potential premature wear due to not properly prepping the engine. I know that will never happen.

Option 2: I approach the potential for premature engine failure head-on with the dealer or manufacturer as an issue I will not accept and request a replacement. Basically, this is the "coming out with guns blazing" option. This option could involve the potential for a lawsuit in small claims court based on the gray area associated with the potential for premature engine failure.

I am not a fan of Option 2, but at the end of the day I have to cover my own ass. Ultimately, this posting is about determining what you all think about the potential damage with not having any oil in the engine will be. Please bare in mind the short amount of run-time at idle speed. For all I know everything is fine and nothing got hot enough to do any real damage.

Thanks,

AC

Attachments

·
Registered
40 Posts
You might be jumping the gun here. The engine in the Spark is a dry sump design, so it needs to be run and brought up to proper temperature in order to get an accurate oil reading. Follow the procedure on page 80 of your manual. If you just want to turn it over to be on the safe side, first hold down the throttle wide open, then press and hold start for 10 seconds or so. Check the oil after and if you see any on the dipstick, I'd run it for the suggested 30 seconds or longer on the hose and do another reading.

·
Registered
259 Posts
You might be jumping the gun here. The engine in the Spark is a dry sump design, so it needs to be run and brought up to proper temperature in order to get an accurate oil reading. Follow the procedure on page 80 of your manual. If you just want to turn it over to be on the safe side, first hold down the throttle wide open, then press and hold start for 10 seconds or so. Check the oil after and if you see any on the dipstick, I'd run it for the suggested 30 seconds or longer on the hose and do another reading.
Have to agree with Gator06 - running the Spark first makes a HUGE difference in oil level.
I freaked out the first time I checked the oil in my spark and it was barely on the stick! The oil level was probably 1/2 inch below the minimum.
In the manual and on a sticker next to the oil dipstick access panel, it says to run the engine 30 seconds and then wait 30 seconds to check the oil. I was dubious that it would make that much of a difference, even with the dry sump. But I ran the ski 30 seconds, let it sit for 30 seconds and then checked the oil - it was DEAD ON the max fill line. I was shocked but also pleasantly surprised.

·
Registered
274 Posts
Hi,

I recently purchased a 2015 Spark 3UP on June 6th. Unfortunately, I have yet to take it out due to work and weather conditions in my area. It looks like this coming weekend will shape up to be my first outing. With that said, I decided to get ahead and start prepping everything. However, upon checking the oil level I found that there is none. The engine was level when I checked it, and I tilted it back and forth to see if maybe the level is just really low. Alas, not a drop appeared.

I contacted the dealer who sold me the Spark and they have asked me to bring it in. Naturally, I will be taking it back since I just bought it and it's under warranty, but I have great concern regarding the potential damage done to the engine. I recall them starting the engine twice for me when I bought it. First, when they prepped it, and second when I picked it up and I did my walk-around.

I use to work in the automotive field and am very aware of the number of people who drive around with low oil levels. For the ones who didn't destroy their engine we topped them off and they continued to run. With that said, I have no idea how long that may have been. There is no telling how much damage may have been done to the engines for the time in which they were low on oil (aside from disassembling the engine). However, I have no doubt they severally diminished the longevity of the engine.

My dilemma is in how to approach the situation with my dealer.

Option 1: The dealer tops off the oil and leaves it at that.

Considering the engine has about an hour of run-time on it, this could be a big problem. For all I know the engine ran the entire time like this. I won't know the extent of the damage until the engine dies on me one day due to premature engine wear, the result of the low oil at purchase. If I chose this option then the only way for me to CYA myself is to have the dealer acknowledge the potential premature wear due to not properly prepping the engine. I know that will never happen.

Option 2: I approach the potential for premature engine failure head-on with the dealer or manufacturer as an issue I will not accept and request a replacement. Basically, this is the "coming out with guns blazing" option. This option could involve the potential for a lawsuit in small claims court based on the gray area associated with the potential for premature engine failure.

I am not a fan of Option 2, but at the end of the day I have to cover my own ass. Ultimately, this posting is about determining what you all think about the potential damage with not having any oil in the engine will be. Please bare in mind the short amount of run-time at idle speed. For all I know everything is fine and nothing got hot enough to do any real damage.

Thanks,

AC
So what was the actual procedure you used to check your oil?? I can pull my dip stick out and not see anything on it either if I haven't done the steps required first, but you would already know that by reading the owners manual right? ;) If the oil was low enough to cause damage you would have had the oil pressure light come on and put it in limp mode, otherwise if you didn't have a light come on then I don't think you would have any damage.

·
Registered
1,027 Posts
That is true, those sensors and systems are built to pick up on those issues, i would trust them although there are times when they fail but that's rare to happen when new.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the follow-up. I did perform the steps outlined in the manual, but I guess I didn't run the engine long enough or something. I took it in to the dealer and they were more than happy to help me out. Turns out the oil was a little low which they quickly remedied. I watched as they checked everything over and they ran it in their prep-tank which put my mind at ease. The mechanic told me that they receive the units dry and that they add the oil once they are bought. He said they may have not put in enough oil and was sorry for the mistake. To me it looked like the oil was filled up to the wrong mark. Mistakes happen and I am happy with the outcome. I am also really happy with the dealers response overall. They understood how I felt and let me watch the entire process which was nice. All the guys there are enthusiasts so they were very eager to put my mind at ease and definitely sympathetic to my concern. They also informed me that the dip-stick would not reach to the bottom of the pan as I am use to in a car. Also, the oil was fairly clear which was also a surprise :confused: This is my first PWC so I am a humble newb and appreciate everyone's patience with me.

Ride On,

_AC

1 - 6 of 6 Posts