SeaDoo Spark Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My pump is trash now...
Last winter i installed a new solas impeller and a riva ss wear ring. Had problems at the first startup with an awful sound. Here is a video from the first startup:https://vimeo.com/141054622
Some people said that it was normal and the sound would soon go away. So i just left it like that... It has made the scraping sound the whole season.
Now i just took the pump off and this is what i saw:

According to riva's installation instructions it was installed correctly

Why did that happen?
Well it ruined the impeller and ring, because of it being misaligned

What should i do about this? Contact riva and tell them what happend and that I followed the exact instructions? Will i need a new pump support?

But that wasn't enough, one of the pump veins is bent and broken
I am 100% sure i havent sucked anything up. Is this due to the wear ring misalignment? Is this covered by warranty?

And I'm not done, the bearing grease has been thrown into the cone. Leaving just a tiny bit of grease left on the bearing. https://vimeo.com/141056266 Does this sound shot?
I guess im getting a new one anyway as i need a new pump housing...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
165 Posts
Warranty won't do you any good, Its an aftermarket part that failed, Looks like it didn't seat correctly into the pump and caused a shitload of friction.

As for the damage to the pump housing... It probably won't screw with performance too much. just make sure you get that tab lined up correctly. Definitely rebuild it though.

This is why a SS wear ring isn't really worth it. You want to have a material that is forgiving when it comes to applications like this.

·
Registered
259 Posts
I put a solas 12/17 into my Spark, used a stock plastic wear ring. The pump started making a whining noise, especially around 30-45mph. I haven't sucked anything into my pump either. I took the pump back off and found water inside of the bearing area. Now the pump needs a rebuild.

Maybe I messed something up installing the new impeller? The only part of the pump I removed was the cone - which has 2 o-ring seals and is unlikely to leak. The Solas 12/17 impeller wore a nice groove into the plastic wear ring but the groove almost goes away at the top of the wear ring. The stock impeller didn't put any grooves in the wear ring at all. This tells me that the Solas is slightly larger diameter than the stock impeller. Maybe my Solas impeller is out of balance, causing the pump shaft to leak?

When you get the pump ready to install, use a 2015 wear ring as they have 2 alignment tabs. The 2014 wear ring only has one alignment tab. That chip in the pump vane shouldn't be a huge deal unless there is cracking around it. It will cause some cavitation though.

Into the trash the Solas 12/17 will go. It isn't damaged in any way but it's just not worth the risk of putting it back on.
Did the Solas actually improve performance? The spark's top speed was the same though it felt like maybe it had better acceleration. Honestly, any improvement in performance was so slight that it could have easily been explained by the placebo effect.

What a waste of time and money.

Attachments

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
First ride the acceleration was much better but during that ride the impeller grinded itself and the ss ring down, causing more cavitation. And it got only worse the more i rode it. It had slightly better top speed.

Im not sure about you're leak...

What I'll do next to get everything fixed is to bring them the pump and say i noticed a little chip in the pump veins which is also bent and have cracks around it. Get me an all new housing with new bearing, seals and impeller shaft.
For the pump support, i will try to reuse the old.
And then, a new impeller and wear ring

·
Registered
4 Posts
This looks just like my pump and I also have a Riva SS wear ring and a Solas impeller... I am not sure when this happened with mine but ive been running it for over 25 hours so far. I also have a wear mark just like that on my wear ring... Well my pump has chunks taken out of every vein in it. So I had to order a new pump. I want to know if anyone else had this issue and what could be the cause of this.

·
Registered
196 Posts
my impeller is stock upon installing my manual reverse my wear ring seems to have grooves already on it, i barely have 10hrs on my 2015 sea doo spark 90hp, any idea? i am a little concerned on the reliability on these wear ring

·
Registered
307 Posts
the whole point of a wear ring is to break when something that could damage your engine gets sucked up. so you should expect it to get some marks in it at some point, and for some that will be earlier than others.

·
Registered
196 Posts
the whole point of a wear ring is to break when something that could damage your engine gets sucked up. so you should expect it to get some marks in it at some point, and for some that will be earlier than others.
Thats quite understandable but to have 2 to 3mm groove into the wear ring in one are? Seems odd

·
Registered
196 Posts
Looks like they went up a little since I first bought the ski and looked into it Nitro. They are around $50 now. still better than a $179 stainless.
which page did you locate that amount still better then what i have found. Not going with stainless, chips your impeller. i have not seen any good reviews so far, unless you want to be replacing impeller and stainless steel wear ring every year or so.

·
Registered
319 Posts
The white ones are junk aftermarket . I ordered what I thought was stock and it was one of those white ones. It lasted one ride so I plastic welded the stocker back up and ran that the rest of the season.

·
Registered
516 Posts
I must be lucky I'm on my third season with my two and don't have so much as a scratch on either ring. I am extremely cautious in the shallows.

·
Registered
18 Posts
My pump is trash now...
Last winter i installed a new solas impeller and a riva ss wear ring. Had problems at the first startup with an awful sound. Here is a video from the first startup:https://vimeo.com/141054622
Some people said that it was normal and the sound would soon go away. So i just left it like that... It has made the scraping sound the whole season.
Now i just took the pump off and this is what i saw:

According to riva's installation instructions it was installed correctly

Why did that happen?
Well it ruined the impeller and ring, because of it being misaligned

What should i do about this? Contact riva and tell them what happend and that I followed the exact instructions? Will i need a new pump support?

But that wasn't enough, one of the pump veins is bent and broken
I am 100% sure i havent sucked anything up. Is this due to the wear ring misalignment? Is this covered by warranty?

And I'm not done, the bearing grease has been thrown into the cone. Leaving just a tiny bit of grease left on the bearing. https://vimeo.com/141056266 Does this sound shot?
I guess im getting a new one anyway as i need a new pump housing...

What did you end up doing about the pump? Did you rebuild it? I have the same thing happen but my bearings don't make that much noise like yours. Mine just has a faint clicking when I spin the prop. I am thinking put more pump grease into the bearings and curious what you ended up having to do?

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
What did you end up doing about the pump? Did you rebuild it? I have the same thing happen but my bearings don't make that much noise like yours. Mine just has a faint clicking when I spin the prop. I am thinking put more pump grease into the bearings and curious what you ended up having to do?

I got a complete new pump, bearing, shaft, seals, everything. I used the same wear ring, but got a new prop. I also mixed bearing grease and jet pump oil to about the consistency of honey.

After about 30 hours of riding, the new pump housing had the same chip... Again... Next time i will get the new solas stainless steel pump housing

·
Registered
196 Posts
I got a complete new pump, bearing, shaft, seals, everything. I used the same wear ring, but got a new prop. I also mixed bearing grease and jet pump oil to about the consistency of honey.

After about 30 hours of riding, the new pump housing had the same chip... Again... Next time i will get the new solas stainless steel pump housing

that seems a little odd, i dont have any chips on mine, knock on wood

1 - 20 of 20 Posts